Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 07:19 AM

17,435 posts, read 15,564,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
The fact that one man's trash is another's treasure. That smell is highly subjective and what is offensive or pleasant varies from person to person.
I'd much rather smell cooked fish than smell overpowering cheap cologne so many people choose to drench themselves with.
To be fair I was kind of goofing around as a response to the war brothel comparison, but yes, that was the basic point. For instance, I had no idea prior to this thread that curry was considered “smelly.” I always thought it smelled great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2024, 09:26 AM

35,285 posts, read 17,183,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
For instance, I had no idea prior to this thread that curry was considered “smelly.” I always thought it smelled great.
Curry can be a pleasing or revolting odor; depends on the person's olfactory senses.

Old 05-09-2024, 10:18 AM

4,618 posts, read 2,757,548 times
Well, there are a lot of delicate snowflakes out there, so it's a good plan not to bring food to the office that has a strong flavor or odor, no matter how good it smells to you.

Frankly I don't find any food odor particularly upsetting - heck, most of what we think of as "taste" is actually "smell". But then I 'm not a picky eater, either - prettty much anything that's safe for human consumption, I'll eat with gusto. I had a childhood and adolescence as a very picky eater - entire classes of food I wouldn't even consider eating - and then in my late teens I decided this was childish BS that was causing more trouble for me than it was worth. I decided it was time to grow up and adopt adult eating habits - and it's not been an issue since.

So, no, I'm not sympathetic to the "oh GAWD someone microwaved something I can smell - call HR!" crowd, not at all, but they exist, they're something you've got to be aware of, you're not going to change them, so you may as well adapt to them as a factor in the workplace.

Old 05-09-2024, 02:30 PM

11,295 posts, read 19,648,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Well, there are a lot of delicate snowflakes out there, so it's a good plan not to bring food to the office that has a strong flavor or odor, no matter how good it smells to you.

Frankly I don't find any food odor particularly upsetting - heck, most of what we think of as "taste" is actually "smell". But then I 'm not a picky eater, either - prettty much anything that's safe for human consumption, I'll eat with gusto. I had a childhood and adolescence as a very picky eater - entire classes of food I wouldn't even consider eating - and then in my late teens I decided this was childish BS that was causing more trouble for me than it was worth. I decided it was time to grow up and adopt adult eating habits - and it's not been an issue since.

So, no, I'm not sympathetic to the "oh GAWD someone microwaved something I can smell - call HR!" crowd, not at all, but they exist, they're something you've got to be aware of, you're not going to change them, so you may as well adapt to them as a factor in the workplace.

Some people have actual medical conditions that cause them to become sick around certain smells, including food smells. Name calling, because some people are different than you are, is not appropriate, in any case.

Old 05-09-2024, 02:35 PM

610 posts, read 270,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post

Frankly I don't find any food odor particularly upsetting
I'll stop you right there. Just because YOU don't, that doesn't mean certain odors don't make other people nauseated, and that doesn't mean that other people don't get migraines from strong odors, the fumes from burned popcorn bags, perfume, etc. There are also people who have severe seafood allergies who cannot be around seafood. I used to work with someone who broke out in hives and had trouble breathing if she so much as went into a seafood restaurant. Do I even need to mention sensitivity to smell in pregnant people? Because there's that, too.

At my office, we have rules about this kind of thing in the employee handbook, and they make the office a much more physically pleasant environment for all. Those who don't mind odors can stink up their own homes with it.

Old 05-09-2024, 02:54 PM

2,113 posts, read 1,040,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Some people have actual medical conditions that cause them to become sick around certain smells, including food smells. Name calling, because some people are different than you are, is not appropriate, in any case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaByrd View Post
I'll stop you right there. Just because YOU don't...
Agreed.

The name calling is so unnecessary.

Old 05-10-2024, 08:52 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,449,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I don't cook fish at work. I just wondered why it's considered so heinous to do so when throwing some leftover brisket or smothered chop into the microwave isn't.
Because it smells different. Brisket and smothered pork chops have pleasant smell. People smell a brisket cooking on a bbq and say "WOW!! That smells friggin' delicious!". People smell reheated fish in a small work kitchen with no windows and NEVER EVER EVER say "Wow! That smells delicious". Fish doesnt smell good. Whats so hard to understand about this? Its a different smell.

I once worked in corp HQ of a very large business bank and the CEO HATED the smell of popcorn. Microwave popcorn was banned from the office because he couldnt stand the smell.

Old 05-10-2024, 09:45 AM

9,458 posts, read 8,441,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Because it smells different. Brisket and smothered pork chops have pleasant smell. People smell a brisket cooking on a bbq and say "WOW!! That smells friggin' delicious!". People smell reheated fish in a small work kitchen with no windows and NEVER EVER EVER say "Wow! That smells delicious". Fish doesnt smell good. Whats so hard to understand about this? Its a different smell.

I once worked in corp HQ of a very large business bank and the CEO HATED the smell of popcorn. Microwave popcorn was banned from the office because he couldnt stand the smell.
And this is why the "fragile snowflakes" reference is such a joke, it's not the employees who are able to set such policies, it's the higher ups.

If anyone thinks cooking (or reheating) fish is a pleasant smell, why don't seafood restaurants smell like fish? Oh that's right, because it doesn't smell nice to 95% of the human population. BBQ restaurants fill the air with the smell of their food because it smells good to most people. Fish does not.

This is like asking why doesn't everyone eat gruel? I like the taste of it and I know one other person who does too.

Old 05-10-2024, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post

I don't find bbq brisket or pork chops to have a pleasant smell at all. It doesn't smell good. What's so hard to understand?

Old 05-10-2024, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
And this is why the "fragile snowflakes" reference is such a joke, it's not the employees who are able to set such policies, it's the higher ups.

If anyone thinks cooking (or reheating) fish is a pleasant smell, why don't seafood restaurants smell like fish? Oh that's right, because it doesn't smell nice to 95% of the human population. BBQ restaurants fill the air with the smell of their food because it smells good to most people. Fish does not.

Haven't been to many authentic Asian restaurants, I take it?
Here's the thing: Fresh fish doesn't stink. It smells like the ocean. Old fish has a stronger smell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment