Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 05:20 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,572,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood1964 View Post
Mcpherson County is one of the wealthier rural counties in the state. You might check out Lindsborg, people from all over the country have relocated there. Property tax on a 175$ home is only 2k. It’s a 15 minute drive to ymca in Mac . Small grocery store with new owners.
Thank you for this info. Since I'm such low SS income I will have to look for a place that is section 8, or hud which complicates things further. I found a company that does that in different states, and they accept 2 pets. They are my family so must bring them with me. Lindsborg did look very nice, but I need to be able to walk to a variety of good shopping so I could possibly do without a car. "Good" shopping is relative, lol. I've been in a town of 2000 for the last 2 1/2 yrs with nothing to do close by, and I don't want to do it again. Thanks though. Here is the link to that company if anyone is interested. It may help someone since there are a few places in Kansas, not McPherson however. I've found that I must be flexible. I don't even know if there will be openings, or a list. I'm still researching. The one in Lawrence looks lovely. Hays is out for a couple reasons.

https://pre-3.com/?fbclid=IwAR30b-dc...D-H27XJyDRG_7w
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2020, 07:29 AM

33 posts, read 75,378 times
The public housing in Lindsborg is very nice. Probably the nicest in the state. Check it out

Old 09-17-2020, 02:58 PM

922 posts, read 791,884 times
I can really only speak about Chanute, where we live, and a little about Parsons and Iola. There is a Walmart in each of these towns, several chain and independent restaurants, as well as a thriving downtown area.

In Chanute, the Walmart is in the south end of town, along with a large TruValue and Tractor Supply with good pet departments. Downtown there is a G & W food market, a large drugstore, a theater and a good variety of shops. We have some nice parks, one with a lake for fishing and a dog park. There are a lot of churches to choose from.

There are several Section 8 properties in Chanute. I am sure there is a waiting list, but you will find that no matter where you go. The rents here are not bad, of course compared to Denver they are great. It's true that there is a tax on food, which we were not prepared for. My husband and I both live on my SSDI, which is very doable here for the most part.

I am sure you will be able to find a nice town that fits your needs here in Kansas.

Old 09-17-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood1964 View Post
The public housing in Lindsborg is very nice. Probably the nicest in the state. Check it out
I will look, thankyou. But most all of them only allow one pet. After having to find homes for my 3 rescues in the divorce I must keep my little family together at all costs. I can't live with the heartbreak again. And it is still too far from stores, the Y, and churches thus having to keep the van which is expensive. I'm also looking into South Dakota. I like how they handled the covid thing. None of this is written in stone except keeping the two pets.

Old 09-17-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
I can really only speak about Chanute, where we live, and a little about Parsons and Iola. There is a Walmart in each of these towns, several chain and independent restaurants, as well as a thriving downtown area.

In Chanute, the Walmart is in the south end of town, along with a large TruValue and Tractor Supply with good pet departments. Downtown there is a G & W food market, a large drugstore, a theater and a good variety of shops. We have some nice parks, one with a lake for fishing and a dog park. There are a lot of churches to choose from.

There are several Section 8 properties in Chanute. I am sure there is a waiting list, but you will find that no matter where you go. The rents here are not bad, of course compared to Denver they are great. It's true that there is a tax on food, which we were not prepared for. My husband and I both live on my SSDI, which is very doable here for the most part.

I am sure you will be able to find a nice town that fits your needs here in Kansas.
Thanks Wounded, and everybody trying to help. I appreciate you all. That sales tax on food, etc adds up. Oregon doesn't have sales tax which really helps if you are low income. But the smoke here in the summer is killing me. Out of 3 yrs two have been terrible. This year is the worst. Plus I don't really fit in here, and there is literally nothing to do in this tiny town. But to be fair, I've heard others say that they love it. I moved here after the divorce since it was on craigslist, and I couldn't stay with my daughter any longer.

So, I'll take all of everyone's input, and keep it in mind while researching different places. I had probably better back out of this thread now so it doesn't appear that I'm trying to hijack it. I don't want to get in trouble. But when I lived in the Denver metro area I explored Kansas a little getting as far as Atwood, then Great Bend, and Council Grove. It felt good to get away from Denver, ugh. Blessings to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita