Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 01:39 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,466,543 times

Advertisements

the harsh weather conditions would be enough to keep me from even thinking of moving to a place like Kansas

Kansas is one of those states that has a reputation for bad weather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 04:06 PM

18 posts, read 38,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
I grew up in California and relocated to Wichita recently for a job. You will experience major culture shock if you move to Wichita. It is not really all that "country" even though you will see plenty of faux cowboys driving jacked up trucks and hear plenty of country music in places like restaurants and retail stores. The city is very rundown looking, it appears to have fallen on hard times financially for at least a decade. The people are blue collar, trashy and largely uneducated. Life revolves around kids, sports and church. Nightlife is non existent, and the social scene mostly involves people hanging out with people they have known since high school. Very few young singles, it seems that most people get married and/or pregnant at a young age. Your brown skin will not be an issue if you avoid spending time in the suburban towns that surround Wichita. Towns like Derby, Maize and Andover are almost 100% white and a minority will not be warmly welcomed by most of the residents since they chose to live there to avoid contact with Wichita's minority population.

IMO, it is similar to living in the Central Valley like Stockton or Modesto with worse weather and in a more remote location. If I could go back and change things I would not move here. I am going to stay a few years so I don't trash my work history and get out of here ASAP.

If you don't mind me asking whats your age?

Old 01-20-2016, 04:09 PM

I like to spend alot of time at bars. Thats where im assuming i might meet people. Are bars more older crowds? And i dont mind run down, but is the economy decent? I was planning on just trying to find a entry level low paying job untill i could find something in my trade. Is that a feasible plan? Im planning on going with a at least a few months of safety money for rent and living expenses, but im also worried i might have trouble renting a place with no current job.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:33 PM

I like to spend alot of time at bars. Not sure if you did but thats where im assuming i might meet people. Are bars more older crouds? And i dont mind run down, but is the economy decent? I was planning on just trying to find a entry level low paying job untill i could find something in my trade. Is that a feasible plan? I was going to bring about 3 months of rent, and living expenses.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:55 PM

sorry for the duplicate post... first one didnt show up right away

Old 01-20-2016, 10:29 PM

142 posts, read 243,932 times
Doubt if bars have more older people-bars tend to cater towards younger people. I grew up in KS and I sure would have culture shock living there again.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldcollegealum View Post
Doubt if bars have more older people-bars tend to cater towards younger people. I grew up in KS and I sure would have culture shock living there again.
Is it the way people treat you? whats so different?

Old 01-21-2016, 07:20 AM

1,166 posts, read 756,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickybobbyusa View Post
If you don't mind me asking whats your age?

late 20s

Bars are a younger crowd if you avoid the blue collar beer and shot type places. The economy is sluggish and primarily based on a slowly dying manufacturing sector. It is similar to Rust Belt cities like Detroit or Flint in the late 90s. They are trying to attract new industries and diversify the available jobs but the efforts so far have failed.

What is your trade? Unlike other cities and larger urban areas, Wichita does not have a wide variety of employers or jobs available. If you move here you might find yourself changing careers involuntarily.

IMO, Wichita is the kind of place you live short term and only if you have to for a job, military, etc. Most of the people that stay long term grew up here and can't stand to leave family. You can see that reflected in the population, lots of elderly and young children, but a noticeable lack of people aged 20-45 since they left for better jobs never to return.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:00 PM

I kind of prefer older crouds at bars.... but mainly finishing concrete... at least thats what id prefer to do kind of jack of all trades though..... Planning on moving back to cali or colorado after a couple years

Old 01-21-2016, 05:38 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,615,474 times
The nine (9) months I lived in Wichita were the most miserable months of my entire life. And I'm an older White lady.

You would think that because of it's location, Wichita would be "Western" in character. It isn't. Wichita is a Southern town. It is excruciatingly christianconservative.

When I lived there a woman stood by the side of one of the streets in town with an anti-abortion sign. I think it said something like "honk if you think abortion is murder". She was there every single day.

And I still remember my DMV experience there - the most unpleasant and hateful in all of the 15 states in which I've lived (which include California.)

I got the he** out of Dodge (funny, because the real Dodge City isn't far away) as soon as I found another job that took me North.

Physically, though, it's kind of a pretty city. The botanical garden was nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita