Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 02:20 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,571,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I guess you are talking about all-in-one type of venues? Do they charge a venue fee on top of the minimum guest count? I've only shopped for venues where catering and other stuff is by other vendors. There is a cost for the venue, and that fee is the same whether it sits empty or you fill it up with people.

I’m talking about both. Many high end caterers have a minimum too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 05:57 AM

862 posts, read 974,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Never heard of a minimum guest count for a venue; and I have planned lots of events. Now, if you provide a final headcount number to the caterers at their deadline, then that is the number you will pay for.
When I got Married here in NJ, every reception place had a minimum thats how you figured the fee, 200 minimum x 200 a plate=40K for the venue. Maybe in other parts of the country it's a flat fee? Not sure but either way you pay.

Old 11-11-2023, 03:18 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times
You mentioned in another thread that you got married, you were victim to people who RSVP'd yes that did not show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
This is the truth, people just don't show up that plan to. If 100 plan to go to a poll, at least 5 people (5%) will not show up (the actual number is probably much more). This also was an election where people are mostly voting for their party, and unknown candidates that they don't have a connection to. This is just human nature, and I can give a real life example, recently got married and was warned that 10% of the people who RSVP yes will not show up to your wedding, which I wound up being somewhat of a victim to.

Congrats on your wedding. Hopefully the no shows didn't cost you too much money. It could be a small fortune depending on where you guys decided to pick. Did you look at any of the venues I posted that were in the NJ 101.5 article.

I hope your day was as special as my wedding twenty two years ago where it was just my hub and I.

Old 11-11-2023, 11:04 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,651,734 times
My Wedding was 45 years ago reception in a Church Hall but Catered with a 10 piece bandit was great IL paid around $7000. I have paid for 2 weddings both my girls were different one wanted the whole experience as the other wanted one more scaled back. They were with in 5 years of each(2007-2012) other so I made a budget. $20.000 . First one spent it all had a great party the whole thing, open Bar fully catered great DJ flowers limo, 2nd had less people, nicer location and did a sit down lunch spent half so I gave her the rest . What she didn't spend she got to keep. I found out locations don't matter. We found(at the time) a Brand new VFW Hall (very big) and they took care of the bar(very reasonable) we were the first event there ever it was great and everyone raved about it.

Been to a few Barn weddings and those are great! Two were at a Winery and again took care of everything.

Old 11-12-2023, 12:52 AM

10,437 posts, read 6,964,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You mentioned in another thread that you got married, you were victim to people who RSVP'd yes that did not show.

Congrats on your wedding. Hopefully the no shows didn't cost you too much money. It could be a small fortune depending on where you guys decided to pick. Did you look at any of the venues I posted that were in the NJ 101.5 article.

I hope your day was as special as my wedding twenty two years ago where it was just my hub and I.
Thank you! I did see the list of venues and we visted many of them. The wedding was a couple weeks ago, it was the nicest weather day of the year too!

We went all out on the wedding, and it was the best day of our lives, everything went perfect and better than planned.

We looked at ~20 venues, many from the list provided, so thank you for the help! We actually almost booked Bonnet Island, however were on the fence with it because you needed to pay all the onsite hotels rooms out of pocket and if you wanted to collect money from guests, had to do it yourself (it was ~500 a room). While we were on the fence for it for a few days I went to a place in Sussex County and was pretty much blown away with the beauty and what this venue offered. The place isnt on the media lists, but in our opinions it was better than all the top places we visited and just as costly (Message me if you want the venue name, im just careful of releasing personal info on here as ive had issues in the past). I do think we got ripped off on the pricing as we were looking at so many venues, when i got at the place we selected, I was more interested in just seeing the place that i said I was flexible in pricing (dont say that).

All in we had 90 people and spent ~$55k. It was about $300 per plate with gratuity, then we had a bunch of other fees as we got married onsite, to have the wedding there, renting rooms there to get ready, extended the wedding by an hour etc.

A few things that, I will say was worth every cent:

We opted for a wedding band which turned it making the atmosphere amazing with the wedding. We had a saxophone and guitar during the outside cocktail hour, which was beautiful on the sunset and water. The band we hired was a risk because we never heard them play, they didnt have the most views on wedding wire/knot, but they had the best reviews and were maybe one of the most priciest. It was ~$9k for an 8 person band (including the extras for ceremony, cocktail hour etc.) but at the wedding there were 11 band members with all the horns, which receive compliments from everyone at the wedding. They strayed from our song selection but its all good.

The hotel we booked was an absolute hit. There are no hotels in Sussex County so we wound up booking a high-end hotel in Morristown. The hotel gave all the guests a good rate, and provided a full size charter bus back and forth between the venue for all guests which was a 30 minute drive at no cost to us (once we made the reservation minimums). The hotel turned into a huge hit, alot of wedding parties were staying there (they specialize in them) and the after party at the bar was completely full of people after weddings (maybe 100+ people) and everyone was so nice and polite, and our wedding party had its own section.

Photographer, now im not a person who gave this much thought but my wife wanted it, and our photographer/agency turned into being the all-star. The agency we hired, really helped in organizing the timeline for the day, and also helped in organizing parts the wedding which made perfection. We had a first look, they put on my boutonniere, retied my tie, spent the day taking our photos but also made sure I received photos with certain guests. They gave us about 5 pictures so far, the rest will ready in a few weeks. The first pictures came out so good, the venue called and asked if they could use them on their site/marketing.

Everything came and went so fast. The day was magical, but its something that you remember forever and probably hold as the best day of your life. Received at least 10 compliments that this was one of the nicest weddings that they have been too.

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 11-12-2023 at 01:21 AM..

Old 11-15-2023, 07:41 PM

860 posts, read 1,336,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
We've been looking at venues for almost a month now. I guess maybe I have sticker shock and didn't realize the cost per person for weddings for the venue.

Prices are over the map but venue rentals have been $0 - $30,000. Additionally, the cost per plate being quoted has been $140- $300 in addition the venue. That does not include, music, ceremony, flowers etc.

The standard wedding quote for under 100 people has been $30k, and $40k for a nicer venue and food. About 80% of our guests will be traveling out of state or from Europe to the wedding so we do feel the pressure to make it a nice event. All in we are probably going to spend $40-60k based on the quotes. We can do it cheaper, but I just dont know if I would be satisified doing an event at a mediocre location

First, I want to know is it just the state of NJ is so expensive? Also, what are your thoughts on spending a lot of the wedding? We can afford the wedding and won't be taking loans, but will be dipping into savings to do it. Have you felt that it is worth it?
Ours in NJ was 100 people for $14k - we had it at a county park and catered. DJ, low cost photo and video. Reasonable is still out there but if you want a regular venue it will be much more than that.

Old 12-01-2023, 10:15 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,089,777 times
Ours was small, we had about 45 people. With a party of this size we fit into the big party room at a restaurant in Queens, NYC. We had a DJ, photographer, beautiful flowers and the pre fix banquet provided by the restaurant, of course. My brother made a video about how my wife and I met and dated. Overall, the cost was about $5 - $6k for everything. This was in 2010 so I don't remember the exact amount. It was an informal, low key event and I think most people had fun.

Old 12-01-2023, 10:25 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,089,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
Ours in NJ was 100 people for $14k - we had it at a county park and catered. DJ, low cost photo and video. Reasonable is still out there but if you want a regular venue it will be much more than that.
And what was the back up plan in case of rain?

Old 12-09-2023, 09:49 AM

17,634 posts, read 22,629,029 times
Umbrellas?

Old 12-09-2023, 09:51 AM

860 posts, read 1,336,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
And what was the back up plan in case of rain?
That cost included $150 for the park to set up tents on the patio. So all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings