Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 05:46 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,536,306 times

Advertisements

Your gift is just being there. I don't think anyone should ever feel obligated to bring a gift.

However, I actually prefer a registry as I know that I will give a gift that is appreciated.

And I do like the tacky custom of the dollar dances with the bride and groom. That's a great way to give cash when you can't afford anything on the registry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 05:48 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,536,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
No shower. At least none that I know of. But as my Maid of Honor is my fiancee's 9 year old daughter, I am guessing there won't be one, LOL
My brother was mine - I didn't get a shower or a bachelorette party!! And I didn't miss either.

Old 04-13-2023, 07:25 PM

551 posts, read 343,805 times
I was looking for this thread and just found it !

I’m not a fan of the honeymoon registry and think if the couple has everything then no registry. Everyone knows they can give cash for a gift.

I agree with the post that being at the wedding is the gift.

Old 04-18-2023, 03:06 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
A friend got married last year. In with the wedding invitation was a little card stating that the bride and groom were registered with a honeymoon registry. In other words, we don't want gifts, we want you to help pay for our honeymoon. The registry contained things like massages, strawberries & champagne, excursions from the resort, specialty dinners, and various dollar amounts to contribute towards their lodging.

I have never received an invitation that mentions stuff like this, tho ofc some couples use money gifts to help pay for the honeymoon or a house or the wedding, if they can’t afford it. It is a little tacky & weird they listed it…but, IMO, it’s more tacky to discuss the tackiness of your friend.

Old 04-19-2023, 10:00 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I've never heard of a honeymoon registry. IMO, I do think it's a bit tacky because I don't think it's right to ask people to help pay for the honeymoon. If a couple wants to go somewhere pricey for their honeymoon, that's their business. A bridal registry is different because they're asking for items to start their home and lives together. Then again, I don't even know about that anymore since a lot of couples are already living together and have what they need. I've seen bridal registries with personal items, which I thought were tacky. I guess times have changed, huh?
But it's OK to ask people to pay for your dishes, towels, drinking glasses, picture frames, etc? I don't really see the difference. It's like...either it's OK to ask people to buy you stuff...or it isn't.

Old 04-20-2023, 10:14 AM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Seems like the most popular option for those choosing to get married these days. Certainly true in the major metropolitan areas like New York. Don't know about rural parts.

Since most people I know give cash, makes it easy to give a gift.

Old 04-20-2023, 11:29 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
This must be a new trend that I am not aware of. I usually buy the wedding shower gift off of a registry because I know what I buy is something the couple wants and it makes it easy for me. As for the actual wedding day I will give money as a gift. I will also give what I can afford.

Old 04-20-2023, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
The registry contained things like massages, strawberries & champagne, excursions from the resort, specialty dinners, and various dollar amounts to contribute towards their lodging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Seems like the most popular option for those choosing to get married these days. Certainly true in the major metropolitan areas like New York. Don't know about rural parts.

ITA. I’ve seen House, Honeymoon, Cash & AirBnB Funds. Nothing wrong or unusual about it IMO. BUT, I’ve never seen massages, specialty dinners or stuff like strawberries & champagne listed on the registry. I can see why some ppl would think that part is tacky. I do. Ha…pardon my pun!

Old 04-21-2023, 10:12 AM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Clearly cash is not trash when it comes to wedding gifts.

Old 05-02-2023, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Your gift is just being there. I don't think anyone should ever feel obligated to bring a gift.

ITA you shouldn’t feel obligated…but, I don’t know why anybody would want to go to the wedding but not give a gift. It doesn’t have to be expensive. It can be a card with a heartfelt note & a promise to share a bottle of wine or a dessert some time soon to celebrate the lovely couple. You can also go in on a group gift with other ppl who have a similar budget as you. Anything that shows a little thought & care IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings