Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 05:35 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,626,664 times

Advertisements

Overall, the Metro in DC is great. I lived in Navy Yard and worked in Dupont. There were delays at the Chinatown Metro sometimes when I commuted but that was it. I think the Metro system is solid. I stopped taking it as I don't like taking public transportation but that's just me. What line goes up to Rockville? Is it the Red Line? You have lots of good living options along the Red Line. Friendship Heights (which I find boring), Dupont, etc. You really need to decide where you want to live. DC, VA, or MD. If I were you with your budget I'd go with DC. Mount Vernon/Chinatown is a happening area and very accessible to Rockville by Metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 07:25 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,390,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I haven't used the Metro since March 2020 but before then used it almost daily for a few years. I despised it, and it was a major reason why I pushed for WFH even before the pandemic. A lot of people talk up the metro either to boost D.C. or because they think hyping mass transit is the 'virtuous' thing to do.

You could’ve easily just as drove to work than have ridden metro. Why would you endure riding it for years, daily on something you hated so much? Virtue signaling?

Guess you prefer SEPTA or MARTA or the L or the “summer of hell” with NJT & the Subway in NYC? BART? Miami Metro?

Old 04-09-2021, 09:17 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,327,486 times
Just when I thought I couldn't dislike the DC Metro anymore:

“there’s someone on the metro randomly pepper spraying people”

https://www.popville.com/2021/04/met...VnRGMFb53emNys

OP, for the real scoop on the DC Metro, I suggest this Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/unsuckdcmetro/

Old 04-09-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Just when I thought I couldn't dislike the DC Metro anymore:

“there’s someone on the metro randomly pepper spraying people”

https://www.popville.com/2021/04/met...VnRGMFb53emNys

OP, for the real scoop on the DC Metro, I suggest this Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/unsuckdcmetro/

You really should thank me for the advice I’m about to give you: Dont ride metro daily anymore.

I don’t understand why you ride it (daily at that) if you hate it.

Old 04-09-2021, 11:42 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,327,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
You really should thank me for the advice I’m about to give you: Dont ride metro daily anymore.

I don’t understand why you ride it (daily at that) if you hate it.
LOL funny girl. I have to work for a living.

Honestly, just mind your own business and don't worry about my posts, because you're "solution" is about as weak as it gets.

Another thing, this thread is not about me. It's about the DC Metro. He asked for opinions on the Metro which I am happy to give out.

Old 04-09-2021, 12:15 PM

6,787 posts, read 4,227,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
You could’ve easily just as drove to work than have ridden metro. Why would you endure riding it for years, daily on something you hated so much? Virtue signaling?

Guess you prefer SEPTA or MARTA or the L or the “summer of hell” with NJT & the Subway in NYC? BART? Miami Metro?

I did occasionally drive, but parking at my destination was a costly affair, and traffic is a brutal mess during the times I usually have to go to work and get home. I probably hate Metro and the Beltway/city traffic in rush hour in about equal measure. But after I got into one fender bender in that traffic after a long day at work, I decided Metro is the slightly smaller evil for now.

If I ever have to go back to the office (and I hope not), I'd have to think about what to do.

With regard to the other transit systems in the U.S. - I haven't been on all of those, but I am not comparing Metro to anything, I'm just giving my opinion.

Old 04-09-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
LOL funny girl. I have to work for a living.

Honestly, just mind your own business and don't worry about my posts, because you're "solution" is about as weak as it gets.

Another thing, this thread is not about me. It's about the DC Metro. He asked for opinions on the Metro which I am happy to give out.

That’s funny, because you quoted my reply with a ratchet reply to my opinion on metro. And that’s the reason I responded to you in the first place. I don’t care why you don’t a car or anything else personal.

But whatever. Now both of our opinions are known. So there’s a plus.

Old 04-09-2021, 02:42 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soketry View Post
I posted here a few days ago about considering two jobs in the area. After looking on Google Maps it seems that Rockville MD is right next to a train station.

Question for you all: how is the metro? Is it fast? Efficient? Breaks down often? Always late? Do they have a/c at stations?

Where would be the best place to commute to Rockville from? I'm 28, single, and Hispanic/Asian. Budget is $2500 for a studio or 1 br.
Metro is in a LOT better shape than it was 5-9 years ago. Much work and maintenance has been done on the system, and especially since the pandemic has given them ample time/space to work on things. Probably over a dozen stations have had platform maintenance, as well as increased illumination, and better signage. The system is still FAR from perfect, but living in Rockville would give you access to the Red Line, and a straight shot to downtown with no transfers. The new 7000 trains are modern/clean and up to date with security cameras etc. The 8000 series will be on the tracks in about 3 years.

I recently heard today the Metro board is considering lowering fares coming out of the pandemic to lure passengers back. We'll see if that holds up. Long term the Metro will always have it's issues, as it's the 2nd largest and busiest system in the country after NYC, but it's definitely one of the biggest assets to the region.

Last edited by the resident09; 04-09-2021 at 03:15 PM..

Old 04-09-2021, 08:45 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,539,428 times
As mentioned, it's the second-busiest system in the country, so humans with a peculiar phobia of other humans' behavior, and who relish accentuating negative outliers, may not be well-suited for it. (Or maybe coping with life in general.)

I have ridden hundreds of transit systems around the world, including ~90% of the rail transit systems in the USA, and have regularly commuted on three (WMATA, CTA, MBTA). As an agency, WMATA does a better than average job. Yes, it has haters, but everywhere has its transit haters.

Heck, I once took an amazing trip on a then-new, spotless, automated, every-3-minutes train line in Vancouver, and as I was blissfully walking out of the station a TV news camera was shoved into my face with a reporter demanding to know whether I thought it was too crowded and insufficient.

Frequency is my primary complaint about WMATA, but that's related to the fact that the system serves a pretty spread-out area. Which brings me to my real advice: Rockville is pretty far, mileage-wise, from much of the region. It's also quite large, so make sure that the job is actually near a Metro station.

Old 04-09-2021, 09:45 PM

76 posts, read 102,849 times
Clearly some of these metro haters have no other points of reference...lol. DC is a pretty transient city and is home to many from other parts of the country who've never seen an under ground train until they arrived here. I've certainly never heard anyone from NYC, Boston or Philly describe DC trains as dirty or crawling with bums. Folks are silly..lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC