Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 08:39 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,012,411 times

Advertisements

I don't think this conversation is going anywhere. I don't think anyone is going to convince the other that this will or will not work. It's seems pretty clear that adelphi is very adamant about this working, so I guess we will see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 08:40 AM

7,085 posts, read 9,599,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
I hear you. I don't know anyone who would dispute those claims, but that's not the point, just because it's less expensive, doesn't mean it's either affordable or cost effective.
We agree. All I'm saying is before MTA figures out which is more affordable, all options are on the table to help Konterra become a TOD. Mass transit is possible at Konterra. That's all I'm saying. It doesn't matter if it doesn't start out with mass transit. It benefits from the proximity to I-95, the ICC, and Rt.1.

In contrast, Westphalia is a few miles from 495. That's it. Tysons, before Metro, benefited from 495, and the Dulles Toll Road.

Quote:
The overall population, and population density of the surrounding zips is I think too low to support the kind of investment required, and Konterra won't change that much.
I disagree. Laurel is growing. Konterra will add at least 4,500 multifamily residents alone. This doesn't include Brickyard Station just to the east and the rebirth of the area around the new Laurel Town Center. Again, why are we basing the success of a 20-40 year plan on current demographics? They aren't going to fully build out Konterra in 10 years and hope people move there. The plan is to grow the project as the surrounding area grows and demand for housing and office increases. This could take 50 years. Again, Tysons wasn't Tysons overnight as we know it. It took decades to get where it is today and they JUST now got Metro.

Quote:
I balk because your own chart puts the cost of the 18 mile route at $5-30M per mile, and doesn't include parking costs. That's $90-540M, plus $50-150M for parking, and some people are still debating whether the cost of the ICC was worth it, and whether it's above or below targets. It's close to target. If the ICC were full of non BRT buses, I could see merit........AFAIK there's just one bus route currently using the ICC, the 201 from Gaithersburg to BWI.
Don't balk. I said it was just a guide. Of course the numbers don't fit every possible scenario. it helps me to understand how many riders fit on each mode and other data. I would never suggest that because the chart says something costs $60 million per mile that it fits every possible scenario. And as the chart gets older and older, inflation will render those numbers obsolete anyway.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
I don't think this conversation is going anywhere. I don't think anyone is going to convince the other that this will or will not work. It's seems pretty clear that adelphi is very adamant about this working, so I guess we will see.
Excuse me. But I'm enjoying the conversation. If you aren't, stop reading and move on. Again, you're lost on debating and conversation. Some people learn things during these discussions and the purpose of discussions is not so everyone can agree. People can agree to disagree and still discuss the issues.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Excuse me. But I'm enjoying the conversation. If you aren't, stop reading and move on. Again, you're lost on debating and conversation. Some people learn things during these discussions and the purpose of discussions is not so everyone can agree. People can agree to disagree and still discuss the issues.
This isn't a debate or a conversation. You are, to be honest, borderline delusional about your views on PG/Maryland. You get extremely defensive if someone says something you don't like about PG County. I have heard some very valid points made on here and you just dismiss almost anything someone says. People kind of get tired of it after a while which is why you don't have but so few who even participate in these conversations. It's nauseating. I respect your passion for where you live at but you are so dismissive of other people's points that you miss when they are actually agreeing with certain things. DistrictSonic has basically said the same thing in a couple of different ways, much of which is very valid and true, and you just keeping trying to find a way to argue with her.

I honestly don't care if the conversation continues or not, but I was just basically trying to find a more politically correct way of saying to the other posters: Don't waste your time with this guy, he's going to think what he wants no matter what facts you present.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
This isn't a debate or a conversation. You are, to be honest, borderline delusional about your views on PG/Maryland. You get extremely defensive if someone says something you don't like about PG County. I have heard some very valid points made on here and you just dismiss almost anything someone says. People kind of get tired of it after a while which is why you don't have but so few who even participate in these conversations. It's nauseating. I respect your passion for where you live at but you are so dismissive of other people's points that you miss when they are actually agreeing with certain things. DistrictSonic has basically said the same thing in a couple of different ways, much of which is very valid and true, and you just keeping trying to find a way to argue with her.

I honestly don't care if the conversation continues or not, but I was just basically trying to find a more politically correct way of saying to the other posters: Don't waste your time with this guy, he's going to think what he wants no matter what facts you present.
Says you. If you had your way you'd want everyone to shut up if their views don't match yours. THAT'S NOT A FORUM. Get it? What's the point of a forum if I'm supposed to SHUT UP just because I'm debating or arguing a point? If you don't like people discussing an issue from different viewpoints PLEASE do us a favor and keep your thoughts to yourself.

I respect CMBD, DISTRICTSONIC, AND BUFFLOVE more for the passion of their viewpoints and thoughts even if they are different from mine than those that would rather call people names and use personal attacks because THEY don't like the discussion. I don't give a rats patoot what you think. Crawl back into your hole. How's that?

Old 06-19-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Says you. If you had your way you'd want everyone to shut up if their views don't match yours. THAT'S NOT A FORUM. Get it? What's the point of a forum if I'm supposed to SHUT UP just because I'm debating or arguing a point? If you don't like people discussing an issue from different viewpoints PLEASE do us a favor and keep your thoughts to yourself.
I don't care if people agree with me. I care if people put information up here that isn't accurate. If someone has a different opinion than me, then so be it, it's cool.

What you do though is find anything you think that paints what you agree with as bad and you find any point to hang on too even when it's factually incorrect.

I'm glad you don't care what I think, continue your conversation, my point has been made.

Quote:
I respect CMBD, DISTRICTSONIC, AND BUFFLOVE more for the passion of their viewpoints and thoughts even if they are different from mine than those that would rather call people names and use personal attacks because THEY don't like the discussion. I don't give a rats patoot

what you think. Crawl back into your hole. How's that?
You just proved my point.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:15 AM

196 posts, read 206,309 times
The point is if the development effort in Konterra is put in some place near a metro station, the result would have been tremendous. But we can't always dictate land owners on what to do on their land.

PG again need to focus on developing metro station more by giving more incentives. i'm not sure if Konterra has received some kind of incentive from the county but county money regarding development should focus on TOD.

This doesn't mean any development outside metro is doomed for failure. Each development has its pro and con, Kontira would be more appealing to more peoples immediately if it was a TOD. As it stand now, I can't say Kontira is a bad deal for PG but a fair project.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:19 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,658,853 times
Drove on Van Dusen and Konterra Drive over the weekend. They've been doing some grading for what looks like a road on the Konterra property. What I saw doesn't seem to fit with the "map" rendering on the Konterra site. No new info on the site either. Plus, work on road widening for Contee Road, from Route 1 to Van Dusen and beyond has begun. I believe this is the final part of the Contee Road Extended project, which will facilitate traffic from R.1 to Konterra and I.95

Also, site clearance has begun for the 2nd Avalon project, a retirement/assisted living facility, I believe, on Van Dusen just opposite the Avalon apartments currently under construction, and about a 100 yards from the Konterra site.
Some hopeful signs of movement.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:05 PM

Still no change on the web site.

http://www.konterra.com/

Old 01-17-2016, 09:34 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,658,853 times
I noted in the 2nd post in this thread back in summer, that there were just 2 pieces of construction equipment on site. While there is still no new info on the website, I've continued doing a construction equipment count when I drive by. Its up to about 30 pieces at the mo. Still not a lot for such a large site, but they are mostly laying large 36-48 inch drainage pipe.
The 1st Avalon project adjacent, the apartments, looks as if it is close to opening, and the 2nd project the senior living facility across the road, is progressing apace, probably open by summer. That area has been named/renamed Anderson's Corner. Some remaining road widening on Contee Rd. from R1 to Van Dusen remains and initial work has begun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland