Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2023, 09:07 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times

Advertisements

I've always wondered if many Washingtonians frequent Vancouver BC which has a lot to offer right next door. As such a large city with so much commerce, some may even work up here occasionally who also live nearer the border. Living in Vancouver WA, we've always wondered what our big brother to the north was like. So, we finally took a trip up here to see it. During covid it was almost impossible with all the restrictions. But now it is much easier to cross between WA and CA.

Vancouver BC is actually a very beautiful city with some interesting architecture. It's also very clean and right on the water with all kind of big bridges and boating galore. Unlike most larger American cities, it just seems nicer, cleaner and more pleasant to visit. I usually hate larger cities after growing up in LA. We haven't seen any graffiti, trash, billboards or other things so common in large US metros. In addition, its super green with large forests right next to the city and tall mountains in the background.

Perhaps one of the most surprising things of all is how bike friendly it is with bicyclists being first class citizens vs. road kill annoyances like many other metros throughout the US. We even saw bike lanes along some country roads which is unheard on here in WA. Vancouver and Montreal named among world’s most bike-friendly cities The other big surprise after crossing the WA border is the lack of monster trucks so common throughout the PNW. No one is barreling down the road in their jacked up obnoxiously loud vehicles. Still adjusting to the metric system and everything in Canadian dollars. Gotta slow down when it says you can drive 100! haha

Oh Canada, what we could learn from you, if only willing, able and a bit more open minded. They, by contrast, seem to have learned a lot from us with many US companies, stores, vehicles, etc... But the culture is definitely different in pleasant ways.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-17-2023 at 09:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2023, 09:59 PM

3,084 posts, read 2,213,841 times
I don't have the answers to the questions you raise but agree with your appreciation of the city. Not sure if we will relocate to WA but it is definitely a motivating factor for, say, locating to Bellingham.

Old 07-17-2023, 10:17 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Agree with your post! We go often, have a Nexus (fast border) pass.

Old 07-17-2023, 10:26 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
We used to go a lot, and also over to Vancouver Island and up to Whistler. We haven't returned since the pandemic, but will go back. You should include a visit to Victoria on Vancouver Island on your visit. Oh, and in the city of Vancouver, avoid the E. Hastings St. area.

Old 07-17-2023, 11:32 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
I don't think it is really as many as you would expect with such a world-class city so close by.

You don't really see that may cars with WA plates in Vancouver. I mean some people go there obviously. But I don't think it is really on the radar of a lot of people like Portland or Seattle.

Old 07-18-2023, 07:46 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
We always drive up 2-3 times a year. Most often just a day trip, wonder around Granville Island or Stanley Park, have a nice lunch, stop at Costco to see what they have different there, and pick up some Timbits for the trip home. Other times we would go to Victoria, visit Butchart Garden, walk around downtown, and stay overnight at the Waddling Dog motel. We would also drive down to Portland just about as often.

Old 07-18-2023, 07:51 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Probably not a lot of the total WA population goes to BC, but those of us who do.... Go often!

There is a lot to enjoy in Vancouver BC, and a lot more in BC.
We caught a cricket tournament in Stanley Park on one visit.

Plenty of WA residents go to BC (or Vancouver) daily. Especially if they live in Point Roberts . When on work assignment in metro Vancouver BC, I lived in Point Roberts.

When we've volunteered at Okanagan Gleaners, many volunteers come up from WA.

I have several annual events that I attend in Vancouver BC, as it draws a lot of international participa
One of my kids is WWU alumni, they spent a lot of time in BC (camping, skiing, sea kayaking, partying). Several classmates now own homes in Birch Bay, so they still go to BC very frequently. Of course there are the crowds at lynden and edeleen dairy that aren't all Canadians. https://www.edaleendairy.com/. There are plenty in the crowd who are WA residents, heading to -and-fro from BC.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 07-18-2023 at 08:05 AM..

Old 07-18-2023, 10:18 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Hello Neighbours!

A fair number of Washingtonians do visit BC. Washington plates are one way to tell, but many still come by train, or bus.

According to this site, 40 percent of BC's US visitors are from Washington State. Our largest market from the US. Makes sense.

https://www.destinationbc.ca/content...Washington.pdf

Nearly 4 million US visitors visit BC, so roughly 1,600,000 visit each year. This number I'm assuming includes multiple visits, not individuals themselves.

Having been to Washington many, many times. I am always surprised at how many haven't visited. Especially in eastern Washington.

So come on up!!

Old 07-18-2023, 11:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Hello Neighbours!

According to this site, 40 percent of BC's US visitors are from Washington State. Our largest market from the US. Makes sense.

https://www.destinationbc.ca/content...Washington.pdf

So come on up!!
wow... this is a large %...
Approximately a quarter of BC’s international visitors come from Washington,

with travellers from Washington accounting for 40% of US visitation to the province. **

Must be all of us 'repeat' customers.

Old 07-18-2023, 06:54 PM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
I've lived here (not continuously) for over 3 years and I still haven't been up to Canada. Was going to go with my former partner in early 2020, he kept putting off getting his passport renewed, and then obviously it was too late.

I am visiting an online friend in Vancouver (BC) in early August, though.

Have been to Vancouver, WA many times though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver