Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2024, 07:05 AM

2,400 posts, read 1,567,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesja View Post
You seem to want to think Americans care
US tourists to the UK certainly do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2024, 09:09 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,412,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Indeed.

Actually, I am not sure whether it is possible to renounce UK citizenship.
One can renounce one's UK citizenship, however it's not easy. For example, back in the late 18th century it took a Declaration of Independence, a long war, and a peace treaty signed in Paris.

Old 04-19-2024, 11:44 AM

2,975 posts, read 1,644,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
US tourists to the UK certainly do
We do?

I've seen the outside of BP and the outside of Windsor Castle and that's it.

No interest in the RF but it's hard to miss in the UK as the media there is as obsessed with them as the silly media in the US.

Old 04-19-2024, 12:39 PM

2,400 posts, read 1,567,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
We do?

I've seen the outside of BP and the outside of Windsor Castle and that's it.

No interest in the RF but it's hard to miss in the UK as the media there is as obsessed with them as the silly media in the US.
certainly my impression last in London, vast majority of tourists in and around anything royal were from the US

Old 04-19-2024, 02:22 PM

2,341 posts, read 849,795 times
Always lots of tourists around Buckingham Palace. The changing of the Guard is a big attraction but I think a lot of tourists hope to see a Royal suddenly appear. They should check if the flag is flying above the palace. No flag, no Royal in residence at that time. Flag flying, Royal in residence

Old 04-19-2024, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
One can renounce one's UK citizenship, however it's not easy. For example, back in the late 18th century it took a Declaration of Independence, a long war, and a peace treaty signed in Paris.
You do not lose your UK citizenship if you become a US citizen.

Old 04-19-2024, 03:39 PM

2,975 posts, read 1,644,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
certainly my impression last in London, vast majority of tourists in and around anything royal were from the US
How can you tell by looking at some one if they're from the US?

I've been in that area many times, there are people from all over the world.

I can't look at someone and tell if they're from the US.

I can't even tell by looking if they're from the UK.

Also UK isn't a top destination for US travelers.

But I will admit our media is obsessed with the Royal Family.
Now the Queen has gone most people in the US don't even think about them. She was a beloved figure in many parts of the US.

But of course people going to London are going to see the sights the city is most famous for, many of them connected to royalty.

Old 04-19-2024, 04:25 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Austen View Post
You do not lose your UK citizenship if you become a US citizen.
I have a sister in law who is from England. She gave up her UK citizenship when she was naturalized. She later got it back and now has dual citizenship.

Old 04-19-2024, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I have a sister in law who is from England. She gave up her UK citizenship when she was naturalized. She later got it back and now has dual citizenship.
I didnt know there was any process to go through to get UK citizenship back.

I do know that as a British citizen they have first claim on you even if you took US citizenship. An example would be a call up for service in the British Armed Forces. If you were in the UK at the time you would be drafted and US Consular officials by international law unable to assist you.

Old 04-20-2024, 03:00 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Perhaps I'm not understanding all the details, but I don't know what the big news is here. The U.S. has been his primary residence already for a number of years so all this does is formalize this fact. As a resident of the U.S., he can live here indefinitely unless he's convicted of a serious crime.
None of this means he is giving up his U.K. citizenship, nor will he have dual citizenship with this. He's just a legal U.S. resident unless at a later time wants to apply for citizenship. Residency and citizenship are of course two different things. This has no effect on his British citizenship and as only a resident he cannot apply for a U.S. passport.

Last edited by marino760; 04-20-2024 at 03:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom