Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 11:31 AM

91 posts, read 76,738 times

Advertisements

No luck with the Spanish #... but I think I was right all along.

I just got my mail and received a check from the hockey club I helped out for a short period last year. For a whole $60 to reimburse my Background check I did last year right around this time of the year.

They actually added tax to it, the check was written for a little bit more. I am not sure why they had to tax it at all rather than just write it out to the exact amount.

I don't even recognize the name that signed the check, it's dated 6/21/19... so they must have mailed it out before the weekend, I'm guessing whoever was in the office added me to that database... I had a bad feeling this could possibly affect things. I know the office staff (really work from home people), don't even know anyone... and the Company name on the check is not even the name of the club I worked for, it must be because of their banking.

I know they had turned to a non-profit club several years ago, I think I know why the "company" name on the check is different, since the club is a non-profit.. they even tell us before hand We will not be Paid, We are Not Employees, We are considered a Volunteer staff. I had actually forgotten about this, and it popped in my mind as soon as I saw it yesterday because I know that the office staff likes to finish everything financial wise in regards to reimbursing everyone, it's always before July...

Sigh, I hope this whopping $60 doesn't effect my remaining 3 weeks and claim. I'm not going to cash it but at this point it may not matter, I really wish I could have gotten someone on the phone today.

The check is dated for the work week of last week which was Starting: 6/16/2019 Ending 6/30/2019.

Ugh, this is ridiculous. I wish I knew if they could remove me from the system. Because now it looks like I started working somewhere... and I don't expect anything else from them. I don't know if I would get far by calling up the office and asking them to take me out of their system.

Last edited by sliceofice22; 06-24-2019 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 11:53 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,064,506 times
You just have to explain it.

If you can prove that you paid for a background check, and can prove that this is a reimbursement, then great.

If you can prove that even if NJ DOL doesn't believe that it's a reimbursement, but represents a payment for something you did in the past prior to applying for UI, then that's fine too.

If they don't buy either of that, then just take the hit for a partial offset to your UI benefits and this will still probably have no effect.

The problem is that it might look like a "firing" or a "quit," and then have to be adjudicated. Try to be very emphatic that this is a one-off situation, and there should be no separation issue.

I just want you to be prepared for the eventualities.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:23 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,765,832 times
Agree with Chyvan, start digging through your papers to prove that you personally paid for the background check and it is merely reimbursement for such expense. Did you pay for background check online via credit card? Check back through your emails. When I my son had to do one for township job I had to do everything online for him and print out paperwork for him to take and of course pay for it online. Or maybe dig up a copy of your cc bill stating the agency that charged the fee for background check. At least on the positive it doesn't look like it was identity theft.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:34 PM

Thanks for your help Chyvan & scrap.. been very helpful.

I've actually got the receipt saved, with the payment info, dates back to last year, and if really required enough dialogue between the office and myself. Me asking will I be reimbursed, them stating yes, that's about it... All easily in email if any documentation is required.

I do not want to look like a liar I know they scout for that. I am relieved the pay period is at least recent... the worst case scenario could have been them saying I worked there for a lot longer which could have possibly botched up all the weeks I've collected.

It just looks odd as they put the Pay Period Week for 2 Weeks it looks like, 6/16/19 to 6/30/19. Under Hours Stated it is 0.

I hope they call me back from NJ UI, if not I will try to claim tomorrow and see what happens. I am going to print out the receipt and email with the information... Maybe I should just visit the local office.

I should only have about 3 weeks remaining to claim, not counting last week which did not go through. I would think they would understand if I showed them the actual check and emails. If they needed to contact someone I am really not sure who they could call, but whomever it is I imagine all they could state is the truth.. That I was simply getting paid back for something a little late.

As for Quitting/Firing I would see them having a hard time proving either of those or even say that about me... It's the off-season so they do not operate during the summer.. so it is not like there would be any work available. Plus we are not considered employers or employees. I spoke to a friend who I grew up with who also helps there and he didn't receive his check yet, but I know he was helping at the club and told me they haven't actually operated or had anything going on for over a month or so. It just looks stupid, like I took a job for 2 weeks, for $60...

It's all documented on my end.. So I guess we'll see. They should let someone continue to collect or re-file even if someone did take work for only a week knowing it was very short-term, which really isn't even my case. I would take the "partial" hit gladly if that's the case... #1 problem is actually getting someone to talk to.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:39 PM

Alright Good News!

A lady just called me back from the NJ Office. Stated my name and information to her, she immediately said "You returned to work last week.." and I nicely replied "No, I was having an issue claiming yesterday it said I returned to work and I got a little scared because I have not..."

She mentioned the club's name (not even the correct one but what was on the check)... and asked "So you didn't start working for so-and-so last week?" I replied "No, I have never worked for them. I helped volunteer for a couple weekends last year and they sent me a reimbursement check for my background check/screening."

I listened to her type for a little bit... She went on to say "So you didn't claim your benefits from last week, but I see you went online today how come you didn't claim?" I politely told her "I was actually really scared someone may have stolen my identity, I logged in to see if my account still works.. but my days for claiming are Sundays/Tuesdays so do I do it tomorrow?"

She went back to typing... asked again "So you never worked for them last week?" I simply replied "No."

She typed some more, she said "Okay well you'd like to claim last weeks money correct?" I said "Yes."

She was really nice, she typed away, she then told me "Okay just remember to file online on Sundays... you're claim for last week will be in your account within 48hrs". I said thank you very much, apologized, acted nice, told her how worried I was when it said that she said don't worry everything is okay... I had figured they'd given up on me I was about to go outside thankfully I had my phone on me. I probably sounded pretty nervous on the phone but I said very little.. unlike when I start typing hehe.

So, hopefully this is resolved. Thanks again for trying to keep me positive Chyvan and scrap. Chyvan you were 100% correct regarding the New Hire Database, I'm just grateful my identity wasn't stolen or worse. I understand why they have the system, I really do and I think it's a good idea.. just kinda scared me for the past day and a half heh.

Usually I get the message with the "You claimed.." followed by "Deposited.." So I'll keep my eyes open. I haven't seen it yet but I'm guessing it goes faster online, either way I should have my funds by Wednesday or Thursday the latest for last week.

She actually sounded a lot more concerned about the name of the "Company" and the fact that they did whatever they did.. maybe she was just annoyed or they will try and figure out why they did it in the first place, possibly over the tax.. I honestly don't know, and to be honest don't really care as long as I am good on my end. Thanks again.. I'll be sure to report back if something else goes wrong lol.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:50 PM

Keeping my fingers crossed for you that all goes through for you. I usually get an email when I claim in the morning and then later on Sunday nite I get an email saying money will be deposited in my account. It sounds like she was clicking away doing her job. LOL.

Whole thing sounds strange on that check. But definitely it's good that it says 0 hours. Just odd why they took out taxes on it in the first place. It should have just been a reimbursement, like a petty cash reimbursement for expenses paid out by the organization. Maybe someone who handles the checks really not well versed in proper procedure??? Who knows as long as you get paid and have no further problems down the road. That's your end goal.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraprsmith View Post
Keeping my fingers crossed for you that all goes through for you. I usually get an email when I claim in the morning and then later on Sunday nite I get an email saying money will be deposited in my account. It sounds like she was clicking away doing her job. LOL.

Whole thing sounds strange on that check. But definitely it's good that it says 0 hours. Just odd why they took out taxes on it in the first place. It should have just been a reimbursement, like a petty cash reimbursement for expenses paid out by the organization. Maybe someone who handles the checks really not well versed in proper procedure??? Who knows as long as you get paid and have no further problems down the road. That's your end goal.
It is very odd to me. I know they've had to change things in the past decade as a lot of coaches and "volunteers" have left unhappily, when I was younger in college 10+ years ago and helped out the club I was actually paid as an employee I remember filling out a W2.. we really didn't get paid much but anything helped with the traveling. Both reimbursement checks (never taxed) and our 1-2 seasonal paychecks (which were taxed) had the club/company name and I recognized who signed it. Not this one, I have no idea who's signature is on this one and the company name looks like a knockoff of the club's actually name, so money is flowing through somewhere...

It's very fishy that they did this, if they had my SSN it came from the screening process or they literally had it saved from 2005 lol. It seems a little silly to write a check including tax to simply pay someone back aka reimburse. The check was a little more than what they owed me, but what they paid in taxes seems just like a waste of money, whether it's $16, $60, $80... Why would they basically waste money like that? I feel like they are writing stuff off somehow for tax purposes, and they told me prior to the season we don't get paid anymore, only reimbursed. One of the reasons I agreed to do it in the first place because I didn't really think I'd be doing it much and didn't.. Did not figure they would waste their time going to such lengths.

I still haven't gotten the email, I know exactly which you're talking about. On Sundays I generally get the first one immediately filing online, and later that evening the 2nd. I am not sure what she was typing but she said I was good to go and I'd have my claim in 24-48hrs... not sure how reliable her word is. I even asked her "Should I go online and claim for last week still?" and she said "No your okay I've taken care of it for last week for you.. just remember next Sunday."

It was that database that they tapped me into for the most ridiculous check ever. I do not believe she had any idea how much the check was for and I wasn't telling her. So she probably doesn't know about the 0 hours.. but most likely knew I got a "paycheck" w/ Tax, maybe not the amount. I assume you only get put into that system if you are an employee (or potential) that is going to be taxed... but I could be wrong.

The system must work fast though if they had written this check on Friday 6/21 and I couldn't file 6/23. They may have added me on the 6/16 since it says Pay Period Started: 6/16/2019.... So basically the last day I did claim for the week prior to last... it could have kicked in anytime this week I suppose.

If I don't see my email by tomorrow morning I will try to see if it lets me log in since it is my designated day. I guess it will tell me then, I have claimed online one or two weeks where I had forgotten to on the Sunday, and always received my funds Thursday morning.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:33 PM

yes your online account should change to show recent payment and what was last week paid. She called late in day. I think system only updates once a day.. it always says after you claim this might not be the most recent update. blah blah blah. It sounds like you're good to go going forward. Tomorrow it will probably show most recent week paid as updated for week ending 6/22.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:03 PM

Email 1 confirmed lol. Guess she got it in. Probably won't get the funds until Wed morning rather than the usual Tuesday but glad it's cleared up. Website still says the same but you are right it will probably update sometime tomorrow or later this week.

Welp, you learn something new everyday. I did have a lot of people warning me in regards to going to interviews and stay away from contracting agencies while collecting unemployment and now I know why w/ that New Hire DB. I get blasted by temp/contract agencies since I used to work in IT. I don't mind working for them if they give a decent length contract, but half the stuff I get is either bogus 1-3 month nonsense or across the country. I've spoken to some in the past and maybe 1 out of 10 nowadays are worthwhile even considering. Some of these companies really do jump the gun and try to lock you in for jobs from competing agencies, although my situation was much different.

A buddy of mine I spoke to earlier is actually still waiting for his check and it's a lot more than mine was. I know he fronted a lot of money for hotel stays and such. I didn't ask his work situation but I kind of gave him a heads up but I think he's alright and employed and also more worried about his couple hundred he's been waiting for, didn't sound too happy lol.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:51 PM

Perfect! Sounds like the lady did what she said she would do. Pleasantly surprised. Yep your money will probably be in by Wednesday (if it was before 3pm when she did it today). For some reason in past I remember on one call they said things done on phone by live person before 3pm the money would be in within 48 hrs. Even so if it is one extra day not to much to wait after all the nonsense and stress the last day and a half. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment