Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 04:53 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,066,943 times

Advertisements

Your problems have NOTHING to do with the number of weeks you've collected.

Someone has your info, and has run it through the NEW HIRE DATABASE.

Google it.

It was marketed and legislated as a way to catch deadbeat parents for child support garnishments, but is used for everything BUT like catching welfare and unemployment cheats and for the IRS and state tax agencies to more quickly garnish your wages if you job hop to avoid them.

In the real world, an employer is only supposed to put you into the database upon your first minute of work that requires that a paycheck be generated in the future. However, many employers improperly report you into the database the second they decide to hire you, and then when you don't actually work, it causes all kinds of grief with the UI people.

All your guess work is WRONG. You're going to have to call, and it won't be pleasant. It's is nearly impossible to prove a negative. You can prove you are working with a paystub, but not having a paystub doesn't mean you're not working in the eyes of a UI worker. It means you're lying or withholding information. The UI people will attempt to contact the employer that reported you, but that employer might say, "yeah, we were interested, but she wanted too much money." Then you might end with a refusal of work investigation by "preclusion" or they might say, "yeah, we have her in our system," and leave off the part that you've never been issued a paycheck ever.

When you make that call, you need to be laser focused. If you ramble on the phone the way you typed on here, you're in for trouble. "Volunteering" that you're so proud of can raise able and available issues.

NJ is silent on how volunteering is treated, but see what NY thinks of it, and you'll understand why it's a bad idea.

https://www.labor.ny.gov/ui/claimant...iedfaq.shtm#12

You're newest post showed up BEFORE I finished typing this. You're not getting it. Research the new hire database. You act like it's some instantaneous thing, and all your problems started in the last day. It could go back to ANY application you've submitted since you first started looking for work.

Last edited by Chyvan; 06-23-2019 at 05:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 05:20 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,066,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliceofice22 View Post
I am very careful with personal information, I'm not sure who would have access to such information..
You're naïve. Doctor's offices, insurance companies, bank employees, HR departments, employment applications, credit bureau workers, customer services workers, and utility companies.

Everyone thinks the ID theft is some stranger going through your trash, it's NOT. It's the people farming it out from where you do business. They all want you to trust them, and they won't do business with them if you don't provide our info, but this is really where the ID theft is occurring.

https://www.privacyrights.org/writte...michelle-brown

Look at all the people that you're supposed to be able to trust that were complicit in what happened to this woman.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:25 PM

91 posts, read 76,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
Your problems have NOTHING to do with the number of weeks you've collected.

Someone has your info, and has run it through the NEW HIRE DATABASE.

Google it.

It was marketed and legislated as a way to catch deadbeat parents for child support garnishments, but is used for everything BUT like catching welfare and unemployment cheats and for the IRS and state tax agencies to more quickly garnish your wages if you job hop to avoid them.

In the real world, an employer is only supposed to put you into the database upon your first minute of work that requires that a paycheck be generated in the future. However, many employers improperly report you into the database the second they decide to hire you, and then when you don't actually work, it causes all kinds of grief with the UI people.

All your guess work is WRONG. You're going to have to call, and it won't be pleasant. It's is nearly impossible to prove a negative. You can prove you are working with a paystub, but not having a paystub doesn't mean you're not working in the eyes of a UI worker. It means you're lying or withholding information. The UI people will attempt to contact the employer that reported you, but that employer might say, "yeah, we were interested, but she wanted too much money." Then you might end with a refusal of work investigation by "preclusion" or they might say, "yeah, we have her in our system," and leave off the part that you've never been issued a paycheck ever.

When you make that call, you need to be laser focused. If you ramble on the phone the way you typed on here, you're in for trouble. "Volunteering" that you're so proud of can raise able and available issues.

NJ is silent on how volunteering is treated, but see what NY thinks of it, and you'll understand why it's a bad idea.

https://www.labor.ny.gov/ui/claimant...iedfaq.shtm#12

You're newest post showed up BEFORE I finished typing this. You're not getting it. Research the new hire database. You act like it's some instantaneous thing, and all your problems started in the last day. It could go back to ANY application you've submitted since you first started looking for work.

I certainly don't expect anything pleasant. I understand how volunteering can be deemed the way it is. I haven't done it since I was laid off.. It was just something I couldn't afford to do anymore after losing my job both financially and time-wise. I see no reason to bring it up.

I just hope they can tell me what company or whom put me into that system, maybe it was somewhere I applied to weeks or even months ago. But I never got further than one or two interviews in person that didn't ask for any personal information further than my name and residence... I do not remember one application I put my SSN down on in person or via an online application, I just wasn't asked. Besides a few email replies stating "We are not hiring anymore.." or someone over the phone breaking the news.

Just a little scary, I hope to clear it up with the phone call. Maybe someone made a mistake it happens, I looked up the new hire database and understand it's purpose... I just can't think of who could have done it. That's sort of my only concern right now.

You are right I am naive and forget how nasty the world has gotten.... I "try" to be as careful as possible, but if something happened from doctor's office or credit bureau I guess that's out of my hands and like anyone wouldn't ever expect it or know until it was too late.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:50 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,765,832 times
Jeez IDK what the lesser of the two evils is.. Identify theft is scary as hell. I always tell my kids to never put down their SS# on any applications, to put "it will be furnished later upon request" So many places insist that they need your SS#. And whatever happened to always being told to memorize your SS# and not carry it on you. Nope, my kids have come home and said they need the original SS card to show them (new employer) , not even a copy was acceptable.

Let's hope maybe someone incorrectly transposed #s on SS# and maybe that triggered it into new hire database under your name. I'm grasping at straws trying to be optimistic. I have had that happen with NJ DMV.. some data entry person incorrectly typed in person's license # (same name) and attached it under our address and boy I had yrs worth of credit collection agencies calling looking for the other person (same name) who was 20 yrs older and had blue eyes (not brown) because DMV had his info attached to my address and hence was pulling up my landline phone #. LOL It was a real mess for a quite a long time. And NJ DMV in so many words said that's what most likely had happened. But they weren't so quick to correct it, that's for sure.

Hopefully you get some answers. As Chyvan said stay razor sharp focused tomorrow on the phone. Write down what you want to say on a piece of paper before you make the call so you don't go off topic.

Good luck!

Old 06-23-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraprsmith View Post
Jeez IDK what the lesser of the two evils is.. Identify theft is scary as hell. I always tell my kids to never put down their SS# on any applications, to put "it will be furnished later upon request" So many places insist that they need your SS#. And whatever happened to always being told to memorize your SS# and not carry it on you. Nope, my kids have come home and said they need the original SS card to show them (new employer) , not even a copy was acceptable.

Let's hope maybe someone incorrectly transposed #s on SS# and maybe that triggered it into new hire database under your name. I'm grasping at straws trying to be optimistic. I have had that happen with NJ DMV.. some data entry person incorrectly typed in person's license # (same name) and attached it under our address and boy I had yrs worth of credit collection agencies calling looking for the other person (same name) who was 20 yrs older and had blue eyes (not brown) because DMV had his info attached to my address and hence was pulling up my landline phone #. LOL It was a real mess for a quite a long time. And NJ DMV in so many words said that's what most likely had happened. But they weren't so quick to correct it, that's for sure.

Hopefully you get some answers. As Chyvan said stay razor sharp focused tomorrow on the phone. Write down what you want to say on a piece of paper before you make the call so you don't go off topic.

Good luck!

Yes it's been eating at me all day, I should not be laughing but I'm trying to keep it together I'm a little shaken up lol. I had my CC # stolen about 3 years ago, the bank knew 100% fraud, resolved it quickly.. they also a few weeks later acknowledged all their customers there was a security breach and issued new cards.. go figure. And yeah, you see it on the news once a week.. That Apple Customers or someone had a security "breach", apologies now go check yourself, change password, etc..

I sadly know the any NJ Agency "routine", call early, expect 1hr+ of hold, and keep it simple. Simply going to state out what happened today "Tried to Claim yestereday, was denied as it said I've Returned to Work.. I have not, how is this possible?" and just listen to lots of awkward silence.

I'll put the phone on speaker phone and sit back, maybe mute... and listen to their response. Because as of now, I simply just want to know what's up and what I need to do to resolve this matter.

I am really hoping that someone just made a mistake, the money is not on my mind. It could only be that database, whether by mistake but very possible somewhere I applied. But honestly, most of the places I interviewed at were over the phone or face to face considering the industry, it's all about experience and skills not exactly glamorous work and they could care less about anything other than that so they didn't require much more than your name and resume/work history with references.. nothing more. Not exactly anything technical, too personal, or electronic.. but not ruling it out.

The only reason I had thought of the volunteering thing is because I returned to help out somewhere last year after a few years away, and they had changed their screening process. Not a paid position, but they did do a background check I understand why. I rarely helped out as much as planned and stopped when I was laid off, just couldn't afford the travel and was not needed. I just know that when it comes to ANY paperwork, they are not fast which is why I was thinking maybe they did something whether the past week or months.. I just know they don't operate the same as 15 years ago.

Regardless, sure as hell not bringing any of that up, like you said keep quiet! I am actually hoping they do say something like that because I think that's a little nicer than having your identity stolen I think hehe. But then I fear they may ask what I did there, the only response I can think of would be as the truth.. "I was asked if I could volunteer and help out.. Only did it a few times last year."

But I'm waiting on that response, I've just got a bad feeling because I'm almost 99% sure none of these employers I've met with in the past few months or spoke with went to the lengths of adding me to a system, these were some bare-bone looking employers with small staff. I know 100% nobody offered me anything, I would have taken it lol... ahhh this sucks!

Old 06-24-2019, 08:50 AM

Well I called around 8:45am, their new system is a "Call-Back" system. I probably should have just stayed on the line for the "3 hours or more", I'm not sure if that's the normal waiting time... I've never had it that bad.

I tried to call back and it of course says there's nobody to talk to, call back tomorrow. I'm hoping they at least call me back, I did leave my name and number... lets see if they actually call back.

I went to try and claim via online (although my day is Tuesdays), it let me login, and just told me my Next Week to Claim Ends 6/28 (this Saturday) and to claim 6/29. I tried doing it over the phone as well and got the message that I'm supposed to do it on Tuesdays.

I guess I'll wait for a call back, I may try calling one of the other 2 numbers to see if anyone actually works in those offices as the Central/Northern NJ one was the one I called.

Really hoping this was just an error, I haven't returned to work, I'd really like to find out if my identify was stolen lol, not funny I know. I have a feeling maybe they had a system error, but who knows.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:31 AM

Hmmm that's weird that online didn't continue to say "you returned to work" and showed a next week for you to claim. Did you mean next week to claim was week ending 6/29 and to claim on 6/30? I saw your dates were off. yes for phone certifying it goes by your last 2 digits of SS# as far as whether to call in on Monday or Tuesday. Maybe the phone certifying will work for you tomorrow on your regular day to call in if not doing it online(trying to be wishful thinking)?

Yes sometimes I would have 2 phones on hold with different call center #s trying to hedge my bets as to who I would get through to first.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:12 AM

I think the 3 call centers are all linked together, I tried them all and it's the same system and says there is nobody available to take the call.. at all 3, and to call back on the next business day.

What I did was I tried to login to claim (knowing it isn't my day just wanted to see), I put my information/pin in and it got me in to a message that stated:

"No benefits are available to you at this time.
Your next compensable week ending is 06/29/2019. You can certify for this week only after this date has passed."

Trying to do it over the phone I got the message that Tuesday is my day to claim as I figured.

On the main page it still states:
Remaining Balance:$x,xxx
Next Payable Week:06/22/2019
Last Week Paid:06/15/2019

So it is still showing that I should be paid for last week and should be able to claim it. I'm really hoping they possibly had a system error yesterday, but who knows.

I've always been able to get in touch with someone, I've never had them say to call back tomorrow, not this early in the day. Maybe they will call me back, ugh who knows.

Just trying to stay positive, I really hope there was not identity theft, hopefully I can claim tomorrow... but with it saying 6/29 I guess if it doesn't let me claim tomorrow for last week I'll wait until next Sunday 6/30. I'm going to keep calling, I'll have to try again tomorrow if they don't call back, pretty ridiculous call center I guess the State couldn't hire a few people to answer the phone, pathetic lol.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:27 AM

Or if and when you get through have them claim the week ending 6/22 for you. It's Monday, everyone and their brother is probably calling on a Monday. But it didn't give you the return to work message like yesterday. You would think that the same message would still be displayed today. I guess you can't speculate until you get someone on the phone.

Did you try the Spanish option when calling in. I've heard people in the past that have gotten through quicker trying that, but that was awhile back, so who knows.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:41 AM

I don't speak Spanish but I could give it a try... seems like they are shutdown for the day. It's been over 3 hours... But yeah, seeing that message was odd. Shouldn't it have said the same thing as yesterday?

Heck I'll give it a try and say I accidentally hit #2 instead of #1 lol.

The last time I collected Unemployment was several years ago when they first started really pushing the electronic stuff, especially the website. I remember them having issues and I had to go to the office in Plainfield and it was actually not too bad, got an English speaking Agent rather quickly, showed him my paystubs, etc, he had to do it the old fashioned way.. eventually got it corrected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment