Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 11:25 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
The most impressive audition I've seen thus far was Melinda Doolittle, the meek background singer who auditioned in Memphis. I was blown away by her.

As for New York's auditions, I was most impressed by the guy (I think his name was Nick) who had made it to Hollywood but dropped out last year. I liked the opera girl because she had a certain moody Fiona Apple-like quality to her voice, sort of indie and not the sort of thing you see much of on this show. The Canadian girl who had met all those heads of state when she was younger was really good too but I'm forgetting her name. There was something equally awkward and intoxicating about the blonde "Rocky" girl who sang the Mary J. Blige song. The Tyson Beckford lookalike did NOT look 16 years old at all. Paule and Carole looked to be gettin' their inner Letourneau on with that boy.

I felt really bad for that girl Nakia who sang "Dancing In The Streets". True, the second song she sang was a mess, but she was good with the first song and just had such a great personality, that to see her in tears, going from the highest of highs all smiles and laughs, to the lowest of lows, crying and in shock as she collapses into a hug with her mother outside of the doors and talking about constantly being rejected; that was nearly enough to make me cry. Wait, did I say "cry"? I forgot, I'm a dude, so uh, I mean, nearly enough to make me take a sudden trip to the bathroom as I rub my eyes and say "oh, uh, a bug must've flown into my eye; I'll be right back" or something.
lol, you and me both! I just stomp a bit and make gutteral noises for a moment before I allow my emotions to tear up my eyes...that way I maintain my masculine outer shell while showing my sensitive side
That girl who bombed on her second song reminded me of a true Manic Depressive...Hyper energetic, fake laughing at everything, overly animated, exaggerated gestures and expressions, and then sunken to the bottom of the well in despondency... interesting to watch the A to Z progression.
I liked the Opera girl not because I thought her singing was good...it didn't strike me as especially fantastic or special...but I liked that when Simon asked her what she did and she said sang Opera, he didn't believe her and basically challenged her to prove it. She sang the opera beautifully and put that smug Brit back in his place! (Simon's comments are evil, but I swear...I roar with laughter at most of them, even the truly evil ones... !)
I thought the Canadian girl was by far the most talented and the best, but I wondered if a foreigner could compete on American Idol. I guess so!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 06:56 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,327,578 times
I thought the Opera girl had a great voice. Okay, maybe not great but the diversity in which she can sing with really impressed me the most. I also liked the fact that she was blunt and confident without being arrogant or conceited, I respect that considering she is still very young. The Tyson Beckford guy was definitely awesome too (forgot about him). No, he didn't look or sound 16 at all, he was handsome (ooh, do I sound old saying that? He was a cutie) and had a freaking fantastic voice!!! I felt bad for Nakia too, she seemed so truly excited and greatful to be there (but she did look kind of bi-polar at the end there, I agree MOMark).

What was UP with that last girl though?! Getting arrested for singing should've given her a hint about where she was going with her rock star career LOL. Sheeesh!!!!!!!

MO, I so agree with you about Simon. He can say really hurtful things, and he is one cocky b*stard, but I totally respect that. He has the guts to say what most people are thinking but wouldn't dare say. Not to mention, these people really need to stop acting shocked, AI has been on for how many years now, and he's been blatantly honest through all of it. You get up to sing, you stink, then you're surprised that he bashed you?! You should really know what to expect when auditioning for Simon Cowell (which is why you'll never, ever see me auditioning). I say "Go, Simon, you snooty Brit". Oh, but I do love it when someone does put him in his place....it's hilarious!!

Old 01-26-2007, 07:15 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,293 times
Nobody mentioned Osama/Castro/Jesus look-alike?

I though he was good considering he looked like a nut though! Simon said that he was expecting a revolution to come out of his mouth! (lol)

Old 01-26-2007, 03:34 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,680,464 times
Yes....he surprised me too........if he stays I bet they try to change his look ...watch ...it'll be something they can make a big deal about.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:49 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Default Interesting...

I thought you might be interested in reading this story, about one of the contestants (the chubby guy who was friends with "bushmonkey"):
http://www.specialolympics.org/Special+Olympics+Public+Website/English/Press_Room/Global_news/American+Idol+Statement.htm?jmid=689645185 (broken link)

I have a connection with the Special Olympics (can't go into detail here), and was very pleased to read this... I suspected he was challenged, so it's good the judges recognized this & acted appropriately. Anyway, kudos to them for that.

Here's a picture, in case you don't remember him - http://northamerica.specialolympics.org/mailman/enewsletter/SO_external_07-01-25/eNewsJayne.gif (broken link)

Old 01-27-2007, 11:53 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Oh, and my favorites from the recent episodes were the background singer, and that big guy with the blues-y voice... I know there were a few others, but I can't think of them right now!

Old 01-28-2007, 03:52 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
lol, you and me both! I just stomp a bit and make gutteral noises for a moment before I allow my emotions to tear up my eyes...that way I maintain my masculine outer shell while showing my sensitive side
Heh. I'm gonna try that. Or I'll just have to counter my tears with some sort of ultra-manly activity. Maybe I'll keep some spare steel and welding equipment around so the second moistness starts coming, I can just start welding.

I forgot to mention, I thought Simon's comment to his "lookalike" about putting on a dress and high heels was really uncalled for. You can say you don't like his voice or it's too high or that it doesn't match his appearance or whatever, but I just thought that was unnecessarily cruel, especially considering the kid didn't seem to be one of those "I'm the greatest singer in the WORLD!" delusional nutjobs that needed a reality check (I have less issues with Simon being mean to those sorts of people). He seemed like a humble, normal guy who knew that his voice was an acquired taste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever
Nobody mentioned Osama/Castro/Jesus look-alike?

I though he was good considering he looked like a nut though! Simon said that he was expecting a revolution to come out of his mouth! (lol)
I really liked him. He's certainly one of the more interesting people they sent through.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:42 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,327,578 times
Okay, so what's the decision today? Who do we like, who do we hate from last night?! I personally loved that last guy Chris (the one who wanted to make David Hasselhoff cry). I liked him the minute he said that, however, upon further viewing, I loved his voice and his sense of humor as well. He has my vote for sure (along with Opera Girl Rachel from last week). Those are my two faves.

I also was shocked that they sent that one 17-year-old girl home. The one whose mom didn't think she could sing until she heard her...she was really good.

I felt bad for the one who brought her husband in, but after awhile, I wanted to smack her.

Lastly, if Paula isn't smoking or popping some funny stuff, then I'll be amazed, she looked so out of it last night and quite honestly, I think Simon and Randy are more fun when she's not there....we should vote her off.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:46 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,795,138 times
I liked the 17 year old girl who's mom thought she had "no talent"

That chick with her husband.. WOW I just wanted to crawl through the tv and put some tape over her mouth. Her voice was so annoying and she was giggling too much. UGH!

Wait, what about that black girl with the really long fingernails.. oh I can't remember what she sung. But Simon was like "What the hell was that??" She was horrible. My husband was in the other room and he even heard her singing and asked me what I was doing to the dog. LMAO

Old 01-31-2007, 03:09 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
How about the two Cousin Its (mother and daughter pair)? Ugh. I like Paula. Something is up with her for sure...either drugs, drink, or something, but she's the only one who calls Simon on his antics and sometimes that has to be done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV