Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 12:50 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,470,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Towards the end of the video there is a part where the line is elevated. Its too bad they didnt do that for the rest of the above ground section instead of having it at grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2021, 11:17 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjKUOmCGn6s

Old 01-03-2022, 04:43 PM

Going back to the original post. I really hope the new designs will still be stainless steel. I really like the look of the north American stainless steel subway trains. I wish Toronto had more outdoor or elevated tracks so they could be appreciated more.

Old 01-04-2022, 04:39 PM

3,988 posts, read 5,824,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Going back to the original post. I really hope the new designs will still be stainless steel. I really like the look of the north American stainless steel subway trains. I wish Toronto had more outdoor or elevated tracks so they could be appreciated more.
Chances are they will be. Stainless steel has been known to be more durable than aluminum in cold weather climates, that's why Chicago and New York order only stainless steel. Boston has not ordered aluminum heavy rail vehicles since the 1980's, the last order being the Red Line's 01700 series built by Canada's own UTDC, the same manufacturer of the retired TTC CLRVs, ALRVs and H6's. Stainless steel vehicles are heavier though and cause more wear on the tracks and equipment than aluminum vehicles.

Old 01-06-2022, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Chances are they will be. Stainless steel has been known to be more durable than aluminum in cold weather climates, that's why Chicago and New York order only stainless steel. Boston has not ordered aluminum heavy rail vehicles since the 1980's, the last order being the Red Line's 01700 series built by Canada's own UTDC, the same manufacturer of the retired TTC CLRVs, ALRVs and H6's. Stainless steel vehicles are heavier though and cause more wear on the tracks and equipment than aluminum vehicles.
Bostons trains are pretty cool.

Old 10-12-2022, 06:22 PM

Updates to Line 1. It now has full automated train control. The old fixed block signalling system has now been replaced by a more modern moving block system that will allow more trains to run in any given time. This will improve headways and cut down on bunching if successful.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...trol-1.6601679

Line 2 Bloor-Danforth will remain on fixed block signalling for the near future until the current T1 fleet gets replaced. Those trains are not compatible with ATC. As I alluded to earlier in this thread, I hope they don't get rid of the T1s quickly however because they still are really good trains. It will be interesting to compare the frequency of both lines and their respective signalling systems.

Old 10-13-2022, 01:16 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,458,307 times
I'd be a little leery of the system, if it's automated in the way that the CBC item says.

Block signalling is not perfect, and accidents have occurred before, on both subways and railroads. But there is a human operator who has to know signals, and not trip the fail-safes on red signals. If an operator remains with an override over the auto-system that can be used anytime--well, I guess that's okay.

But I'd still be leery. The distance between Lawrence and Eglinton (for example) is 1.25 miles. The distance between Bloor and Queen is also 1.25 miles. But there are only two stations between Lawrence and Eglinton, and five between Bloor and Queen (Bloor, Wellesley, College, Dundas, Queen). This means that trains go slowly in downtown. Trains can get going between Lawrence and Eglinton, but necessarily go much slower when they get downtown. And of course, trains must slow down between King and Union, and Union and St. Patrick, owing to the curvature of the tracks. Then, of course, they can speed up on the Spadina line.

I hope it works, and I'm sure that it's been tested, but I'd still be a little leery, until the new system has run for a while, safely and efficiently.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 10-13-2022 at 02:07 AM..

Old 10-13-2022, 10:39 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,672,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I'd be a little leery of the system, if it's automated in the way that the CBC item says.

Block signalling is not perfect, and accidents have occurred before, on both subways and railroads. But there is a human operator who has to know signals, and not trip the fail-safes on red signals. If an operator remains with an override over the auto-system that can be used anytime--well, I guess that's okay.

But I'd still be leery. The distance between Lawrence and Eglinton (for example) is 1.25 miles. The distance between Bloor and Queen is also 1.25 miles. But there are only two stations between Lawrence and Eglinton, and five between Bloor and Queen (Bloor, Wellesley, College, Dundas, Queen). This means that trains go slowly in downtown. Trains can get going between Lawrence and Eglinton, but necessarily go much slower when they get downtown. And of course, trains must slow down between King and Union, and Union and St. Patrick, owing to the curvature of the tracks. Then, of course, they can speed up on the Spadina line.

I hope it works, and I'm sure that it's been tested, but I'd still be a little leery, until the new system has run for a while, safely and efficiently.
I wouldn't be too leery. The Skytrain system here uses a moving block system for decades and it's been fine.
In fact, the current ( I'm assuming it's been upgraded since 1985 ) moving block railway signal system Skytrain uses is built by Thales, the same company Toronto will be using.

https://www.thalesgroup.com/en/canad...les-technology

Old 10-13-2022, 12:00 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,980,148 times
This reminds me of what is going on with Go Regional rail upgrades.

Toronto and the GTA is going through massive transit updates across multiple modes of transit.
Interesting Vid below on the Go Regional upgrades, which include reducing travel time across the region by half and also signaling system upgrades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XOXAY3rPzk&t=512s

For those interested in Toronto and region transit, the youtube channel i posted above has a plethora of information and vids. The guy is a SME on the topic.

Old 10-13-2022, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
This reminds me of what is going on with Go Regional rail upgrades.

Toronto and the GTA is going through massive transit updates across multiple modes of transit.
Interesting Vid below on the Go Regional upgrades, which include reducing travel time across the region by half and also signaling system upgrades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XOXAY3rPzk&t=512s

For those interested in Toronto and region transit, the youtube channel i posted above has a plethora of information and vids. The guy is a SME on the topic.

Cool! That video was packed though providing service faster than present vehicular traffic is kind of low hanging fruit. I've been enough times on highways like the QEW and the 401 to know that even a migrating bird can travel faster than they can during peak times. Still, that sounds like quite an aggressive plan that Metrolinx is doing so good luck to them on it. I'm also surprised to hear that the UP Express isn't all that it is made out to be. Personally, I wish that Line 2 would extend to the airport but that's a pipe dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto