Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 05:37 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,411,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
If you rode Toronto’s subway long enough, you may have seen a film crew.
https://transittoronto.ca/spare/0013.shtml
Night Heat was the only one worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq8BE0--XfU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2021, 05:45 PM

3,464 posts, read 2,794,010 times
Here’s another not worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zZv2VP238k

Old 06-09-2021, 08:22 PM

3,625 posts, read 3,414,985 times
Quote:
If you rode Toronto’s subway long enough, you may have seen a film crew.
https://transittoronto.ca/spare/0013.shtml
In all my years of riding Toronto's subway, I never did.

Of course, it happens, as your link shows. One popular location for subway scenes was Lower Bay station, which the public hasn't been able to access since maybe 1966 or so, and which can be used during the day, while normal trains run through Upper Bay. Other than that, I imagine that a lot of scenes in stations were shot at night, when the system shuts down. The Toronto subway has never been a 24-hour operation, and Bloor station at 2:00 AM looks the same as it does at 2:00 PM. The typical night shutdown is for about four hours, but longer night closures can be arranged, mostly for maintenance, but I'm sure for movie shoots also. Undoubtedly, outdoor stations can be shut down for day shoots too, if the money is right.

Remember also that every single person you see in the background, is a background extra, cast to just be in the background, perhaps walking from A to B, or sitting on a bench, or getting off the incoming train, or whatever. They've filled out all kinds of paperwork (release forms and other paperwork), and they're getting paid to do their thing. They're most assuredly not ordinary subway riders who just happen to stray into the shot. I've been a background extra in movies a few times, and movie shoots tend to attract a crowd of gawkers and lookie-loos, which producers and directors do not want in the shot. Those folks are kept away, while we do our thing. Anyway, given all this, I'd suggest that it would be extremely rare for an ordinary subway rider to ever see a film crew in the Toronto subway.

Old 06-18-2021, 03:22 AM

444 posts, read 283,701 times
Toronto - Eglinton Crosstown - Keelesdale Station Update

Old 06-18-2021, 11:08 AM

Looking good!

Old 06-18-2021, 04:57 PM

3,464 posts, read 2,794,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
In all my years of riding Toronto's subway, I never did.

Of course, it happens, as your link shows. One popular location for subway scenes was Lower Bay station, which the public hasn't been able to access since maybe 1966 or so, and which can be used during the day, while normal trains run through Upper Bay. Other than that, I imagine that a lot of scenes in stations were shot at night, when the system shuts down. The Toronto subway has never been a 24-hour operation, and Bloor station at 2:00 AM looks the same as it does at 2:00 PM. The typical night shutdown is for about four hours, but longer night closures can be arranged, mostly for maintenance, but I'm sure for movie shoots also. Undoubtedly, outdoor stations can be shut down for day shoots too, if the money is right.

Remember also that every single person you see in the background, is a background extra, cast to just be in the background, perhaps walking from A to B, or sitting on a bench, or getting off the incoming train, or whatever. They've filled out all kinds of paperwork (release forms and other paperwork), and they're getting paid to do their thing. They're most assuredly not ordinary subway riders who just happen to stray into the shot. I've been a background extra in movies a few times, and movie shoots tend to attract a crowd of gawkers and lookie-loos, which producers and directors do not want in the shot. Those folks are kept away, while we do our thing. Anyway, given all this, I'd suggest that it would be extremely rare for an ordinary subway rider to ever see a film crew in the Toronto subway.
Do you recognize any of the locations in the old TV movie I linked to - the place on the waterfront with a geodesic sphere in the background, for example, or the three anchors?

Old 06-19-2021, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Looking good!
I agree. I'll add that I'm glad to see that the station designers have used "Toronto Subway Font" to identify the stations. Yes, I looked at a few Metrolinx videos about stations to draw this conclusion. It is a very clear font; and is something that is unique to Toronto. It deserves to be used on the Eglinton line.

Yes, I'm a font geek. What of it?

Old 06-19-2021, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Do you recognize any of the locations in the old TV movie I linked to - the place on the waterfront with a geodesic sphere in the background, for example, or the three anchors?
No. I don't like posts that require me to watch a video.

Suggest that in the future, you post a timepost (i.e. "10:32 of this video") and a summary of what the viewer is likely to see. You just post a video link, and don't be surprised at how many people ignore it.

I'm a Torontonian, and a very proud one. You're not gonna BS me when it comes to Toronto transit. I know our transit routes well enough. Suggest that you post honest questions about the Toronto Transit Commission. And if you're from the state of Mississippi--well, sit back, and listen, young grasshopper. When you have a transit system as good as Toronto's, you might have a point. You don't, so you don't. Sit down and shut up.

It needed to be said.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:56 PM

Recent videos of train testing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lscD_6tr8zw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p62hbDvn8hU

Old 07-22-2021, 06:22 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,775,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post

Nice! I wonder if TTC is going to always couple two vehicles together at a time as a set on Line 5 or will they only run single cars when the line actually opens to the public. There are pros and cons to coupling of course. Coupled sets use more energy to run but absorb larger numbers of passengers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto