Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2024, 02:51 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times

Advertisements

It's all starting to come together in terms of potential conference champions and as such possible bracketbuster lower seeds in the tournament, should they qualify. Here's my way too early predictions. Thoughts?

Vermont 18-5
America East Conference
Never an easy out in the tournament, experienced group

High Point 20-4
Big South Conference
The class of a conference emerging in basketball in recent years

UC-Irvine 17-6
Big West Conference
(beaten USC and San Diego St)

Oakland 15-9
Horizon League Conference
Another school from a conference with recent Cinderella status
Beat Dayton by 13

Indiana State 20-3
Missouri Valley Conference
A solid basketball conference annually

UNC-Greensboro 18-4
Southern Conference
A program on the rise in recent years
Beat Arkansas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2024, 12:12 PM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I'll add Cornell 17-3
Ivy League
Got votes for the Top 25 recently
Only losses to George Mason, Syracuse and Baylor all on the road.

Colgate 15-8
Patriot League
Has played a tough schedule and leads conference. A tough out that has made the Tournament 4 out of the last 5 years. Beat UVM

Old 02-10-2024, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'll add Cornell 17-3
Ivy League
Got votes for the Top 25 recently
Only losses to George Mason, Syracuse and Baylor all on the road.

Colgate 15-8
Patriot League
Has played a tough schedule and leads conference. A tough out that has made the Tournament 4 out of the last 5 years. Beat UVM
Both NY state options too...how shocking!

Old 02-13-2024, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Both NY state options too...how shocking!
I know, but they are in the running.

I was going to add Quinnipiac(in Hamden CT, 19-5), but their schedule was so-so.

In that same area, Yale(New Haven CT, 16-6, beat both of those NY teams, lost to UVM by 1 and gave Gonzaga a good game before they pulled away/lead Kansas at the half) also in the Ivy League may also be a problem, if they make the tournament.

Another one that may be a surprise is Southern(Baton Rouge LA, 15-9), they lead the SWAC and have good wins at UNLV and at Mississippi State and have a history of generally being competitive in NCAA Tournament games.

Norfolk State leaders of the MEAC(15-9) has a good win at VCU and has made the tournament 2 out of the last 3 years.

Old 02-15-2024, 08:05 AM

3,937 posts, read 2,338,527 times
Quote:
I know, but they are in the running.

I was going to add Quinnipiac(in Hamden CT, 19-5), but their schedule was so-so.

In that same area, Yale(New Haven CT, 16-6, beat both of those NY teams, lost to UVM by 1 and gave Gonzaga a good game before they pulled away/lead Kansas at the half) also in the Ivy League may also be a problem, if they make the tournament.

Another one that may be a surprise is Southern(Baton Rouge LA, 15-9), they lead the SWAC and have good wins at UNLV and at Mississippi State and have a history of generally being competitive in NCAA Tournament games.

Norfolk State leaders of the MEAC(15-9) has a good win at VCU and has made the tournament 2 out of the last 3 years.
Had to check out that VCU/Norfolk State score since you brought it up. A kid from my area starts for VCU. Christian Firmin/Soph. Their record looks like they have to win the Atlantic 10 to go dancing. 4th in conference just won't do. They have beaten Dayton, Loyola, Ill, Richmond(leaders above them) so there's a sliver of a chance. Dayton was ranked so that was a good win. That Norfolk State game was a bad loss although it was back in Dec.

Old 03-02-2024, 08:37 PM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
Even though it is probably a longshot, I would love to see Princeton and McNeese State earn at-large bids. I think each school is deserving and would give any opponent in March Madness a run for their money. But the odds are, each school will either win the league title or conference tournament, so won't have to worry about an at-large spot.....

Old 03-03-2024, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
Even though it is probably a longshot, I would love to see Princeton and McNeese State earn at-large bids. I think each school is deserving and would give any opponent in March Madness a run for their money. But the odds are, each school will either win the league title or conference tournament, so won't have to worry about an at-large spot.....
It will be tough to see at-large bids out of the Ivy League and Southland Conference when you have schools like Kansas ranked #7 at 21-8 and 9-7 in their conference getting at-large bids. I mean how in the heck is KU still ranked #7 with 8 losses and barely above a .500 record in the Big 12?

I agree regarding both McNeese State and Princeton, especially if given proper seeding in the tournament (above a #15 or #16).

I feel whoever wins the Southern Conference tournament between Samford, UNC Greensboro, Western Carolina and UT Chattanooga is going to be a "tough out" as a probable #13 or #14 seed, especially against an overrated big conference at-large team.

Old 03-04-2024, 06:35 AM

^That’s if Princeton even wins the Ivy League, as those previously mentioned Ivy programs are right there and have spent time in 1st place.

Another team could be Morehead State out of the Ohio Valley Conference at 23-8 and in 1st place. Gave Indiana a close game at their place, losing only by a point.

Old 03-04-2024, 08:42 AM

Quote:
^That’s if Princeton even wins the Ivy League, as those previously mentioned Ivy programs are right there and have spent time in 1st place.

Another team could be Morehead State out of the Ohio Valley Conference at 23-8 and in 1st place. Gave Indiana a close game at their place, losing only by a point.
I agree the Ohio Valley always seemingly produces a giant-killer. The OVC was the prior conference of Murray State who has had recent success winning their opening round games in the NCAA tournament. The OVC also has the long-time Cinderella school in UALR (Arkansas-Little Rock) who is streaking now with nine wins in a row and in a 1st place tie with Morehead State and UT-Martin, and one game up on Western Illinois. All four schools have 20+ wins which is impressive for a non-power conference.

Old 03-06-2024, 06:32 AM

3,937 posts, read 2,338,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Had to check out that VCU/Norfolk State score since you brought it up. A kid from my area starts for VCU. Christian Firmin/Soph. Their record looks like they have to win the Atlantic 10 to go dancing. 4th in conference just won't do. They have beaten Dayton, Loyola, Ill, Richmond(leaders above them) so there's a sliver of a chance. Dayton was ranked so that was a good win. That Norfolk State game was a bad loss although it was back in Dec.
Looks like VCU is NIT bound. Maybe. They just lost two in a row in conference play. Losing to Richmond wasn't bad but losing to Duquesne was another bad loss. They play Dayton to end their season on Friday in Atlantic 10 play. Only way they can dance is winning the conference tournament. As I said above, they've beaten all the leaders above them in the standings so it isn't far fetched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports