Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 01:11 PM

5 posts, read 1,561 times

Advertisements

americans just do not know how to play anything that does not have PEDs in it. i mean any sport they play they need to be center of attention and individualistic. that is why they are baffled how come jokic or doncic are not that interested in drumming their individualistic performances they are suprised why don;t you compliment your self constantly and if you look that is basicly what all international sports are even individualist international sports like tennis americans to be noticed they need to make it all about them selfs serena mcneroe and so on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2024, 08:40 AM

2,274 posts, read 3,073,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klixba View Post
americans just do not know how to play anything that does not have PEDs in it. i mean any sport they play they need to be center of attention and individualistic. that is why they are baffled how come jokic or doncic are not that interested in drumming their individualistic performances they are suprised why don;t you compliment your self constantly and if you look that is basicly what all international sports are even individualist international sports like tennis americans to be noticed they need to make it all about them selfs serena mcneroe and so on
Huh? I'm guessing you are not from America, because while of course there are outliers like some of the athletes you mentioned the vast majority are NOT in it for themselves and are NOT using any sort of PEDs. In fact, given how many elite athletes there have been on the world stage, there have been VERY few American athletes that have ever been found using PEDs (and the few examples who have have been mostly immediately shamed and banned, with tarnished legacies such as Lance Armstrong, Barry Bonds, etc). In comparison, how many eastern european/Russian/Chinese athletes have been caught and banned for PEDs? A much higher percentage.

Finally, your last statement used some very bad examples. Serena was noticed not because she made it about herself, but because she was by far the best player in the world - maybe of all-time. McEnroe certainly had a personality but he was also a great player. Won many Grand Slam titles back in the late 70s and early 80s along with Jimmy Connors. I think his personality also brought a lot of attention to the sport (sometimes everyone loves to watch a villain) and helped popularize it during that time period, so he was actually sort of doing a service to the sport.

Old 01-04-2024, 11:36 AM

5 posts, read 1,561 times
no that is why american media is frustrated with jokic he is not making his own hand shakes or clothing line or talk about him self like most american athletes do so american media refuse to create story lines about him or call him best player because he does not make anything about him self.if american audience would not have exposure to international stars that are humble and interresting most american athletes would be like they were in 90s but american leagues told them be like these guy and you see american football or basketball athletes act humble and talk sophisticated and team talk more then ever

Last edited by klixba; 01-04-2024 at 11:51 AM..

Old 01-04-2024, 11:56 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
In addition to my reasons above, I'll add inertia. When you're used to watching the main sports in your country, which you might have also played yourself, it's harder to get interested in other sports. We're still going to care about our favorite teams.

Soccer is interesting because millions of kids play it, it's been percolating up for decades, and both US and top-level games are frequent on TV (with around 50 commercial-free minutes per half!).

Old 01-08-2024, 07:28 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The bolded isn't true, basketball has a following in Eastern Europe I believe but American football or baseball is not very popular anywhere in Europe. Besides the US do compete in some international sporting events, the US hasn't qualified for this years World Cup but neither have Italy or the Netherlands. America is a bit of an 'outlier' when it comes to sports but why should that matter? American football and baseball are, I believe, massive within the US so I'm guessing that most of the nations conscience goes towards those sports. Rugby is a big sport here and in some other countries but England may have a rivalry with Germany in football there is nothing when it comes to rugby (England has a rivalry with different nations in that respect), its not really an issue.
"I believe"
Then back it up.

Old 01-09-2024, 03:47 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
What makes you think they are popular?

Football can fill a stadium in London a couple times a year, with a large contingent of Americans traveling to the game, but is it more than a niche interest there? And is it anywhere near the London level anywhere else?

I'd seen no sign of baseball being popular in the UK, though a couple of my English nephews seemed to take a liking to it when they've visited the US.

Old 01-14-2024, 03:36 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I believe"
Then back it up.
Why are you trying to tell me that football and baseball AREN'T big in the USA?

https://thesporting.blog/blog/the-10...orts-in-the-us

Does this help to 'back it up'?

Old 01-15-2024, 04:18 PM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klixba View Post
Well, you certainly have a lot of imagination, and a burning hatred for America.

Old 01-21-2024, 08:55 PM

2,015 posts, read 1,647,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
Basketball is BEYOND DOUBT America's most successful sporting export! Some people say it already is the second most popular sport on earth after football/soccer! However, having said that, it is still a FAR CRY as it barely has countries where it is the undisputed number one sport (save the Philippines, and Lithuania).

Baseball (save for Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, and some parts of Latin America like the Dominican Republic, Cuba, and Venezuela), and gridiron football (save in Canada) are fairly insignificant in terms of popularity compared to basketball internationally speaking!
Not surprising, its very users friendly, any size playing area any number of players as long as you've have one hoop you got a basketball a game it also has a continuous flow that many Europeans like.its easy to understand and easy to follow. Baseball on the other hand is very difficult for Europeans to get specialized playing field umpires tons of rules and enormous amount of area needed.too stop and go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports