Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 10:27 AM

14,011 posts, read 14,995,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
American sports are designed for American TV, with frequent commercial breaks. Broadcasting anything that doesn't fit their advertising format is less attractive to networks.
Yes when the Cincinnati Reds were founded in 1881 they asked, how would this look like on Television?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 06:40 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,991,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Basketball is the biggest game in the Philippines, the Baltics and China, Hockey in Canada, Sweden and Russia

Fixed that bit for you! NO COUNTRY on earth compares to the Philippines in terms of basketball fanaticism (even impressing and/or shocking foreigners who visit the Philippines from other so-called basketball-crazed countries) - even though our international results leave A LOT to be desired! This is coming from someone who actually lives there! LOL!

Last edited by mrconfusion87; 07-06-2018 at 06:58 AM..

Old 07-06-2018, 06:47 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,991,315 times
Quote:
It's no mistake that the places furthest from their Colonial past (or Were not colonized by Western Europeans) like America, China, Japan, Russia, Greece, Turkey etc are not soccer nations.

NOPE! You should scratch Russia, Greece, and Turkey from that list! Football/Soccer is BY FAR the most popular sport in those three countries, even if their international results are not quite up to par relative to what they get in other sports. You can literally walk around any of those countries, make a survey of people there, and they will most likely confirm what I just said!

Mind you, I'm a hockey-first person but I call things as I actually see them and not how I want them to be!

Last edited by mrconfusion87; 07-06-2018 at 06:57 AM..

Old 07-06-2018, 07:06 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,686,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
NOPE! You should scratch Russia, Greece, and Turkey from that list! Football/Soccer is BY FAR the most popular sport in those three countries, even if their international results are not quite up to par relative to what they get in other sports. You can literally walk around any of those countries, make a survey of people there, and they will most likely confirm what I just said!

Mind you, I'm a hockey-first person but I call things as I actually see them and not how I want them to be!

Greece has "Derby of the Eternal Enemies" Olympiacos vs Panathinaikos in Athens.

Turkey has famous derbies like

Intercontinental

Fenerbahce vs Galatasaray

Fans, Passion is unbelievable in those countries.

Old 12-27-2020, 01:40 AM

31 posts, read 24,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Basketball has been an Olympic Sport for so many decades. It is popular worldwide, not only USA. It was there in 1936 Berlin Olympics. FIBA had all European founding members.

The popularity of Baseball outside USA is very low. They may have leagues in South Korea but its viewership can be compared to Cricket in Canada.
The popularity of Baseball globally isn't that low at all. It's a major sport throughout the American supercontinent, as well as in Japan and South Korea.

I'd point out that Volleyball and Lacrosse are American sports that are moderately present worldwide, and that extreme sports and related athletic activities like Skateboarding, Surfing, Snowboarding, etc, are also American, and are loved globally.

Old 12-27-2020, 01:56 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Basketball has been an Olympic Sport for so many decades. It is popular worldwide, not only USA. It was there in 1936 Berlin Olympics. FIBA had all European founding members.

The popularity of Baseball outside USA is very low. They may have leagues in South Korea but its viewership can be compared to Cricket in Canada.
Baseball is also popular in Mexico, Cuba, much of the Caribbean, Venezuela, and (of course) Japan.

Old 12-28-2020, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 794 times
I don't really get this question. US participate in international competitions all the time..

Old 12-28-2020, 12:44 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanHansen View Post
I don't really get this question. US participate in international competitions all the time..
Yes, we do. The only question I think works with this premise is why we're not as patriotic about our national sports teams as other countries, and that's probably because we have so many immigrants who still identify with their native countries, as well as those Americans who think it's cool to root for another.

Old 10-10-2023, 04:30 PM

943 posts, read 781,989 times
Huh?? The US competes in international track and field, golf, tennis, gymnastics, swimming etc. Also, all the Olympic sports. The US also sends a team to sports most American don't necessarily follow. The US isn't isolated at all. The thing is our domestic leagues are just more important culturally than an international competition. Most sports are niche sports anyways.

Old 10-10-2023, 05:40 PM

943 posts, read 781,989 times
Quote:
Yes when the Cincinnati Reds were founded in 1881 they asked, how would this look like on Television?
They love this argument. Baseball and American football were wildly popular before both tv AND radio. Even when radio and TV existed there wasn't as many TV breaks like there is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports