Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 03:13 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by obuma View Post
He'll be gone before miami builds a stadium,19,000 Max at fort lauderdale,how do they pay him 60 million + add ons...
Some games might be played at the larger capacity Hard Rock Stadium, which has hosted sold out El Classico and International Champions Cup matches featuring Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United and Bayern Munich.

https://www.thenextmiami.com/lionel-...pealed-to-him/

Last edited by elchevere; 06-12-2023 at 03:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2023, 10:49 PM

15,821 posts, read 6,530,298 times
It's a sad day for the MLS.

Old 06-16-2023, 09:56 AM

445 posts, read 317,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
On that, I'm amazed, as he's some kind of tourism ambassador for SA. They can't be too happy with him over choosing Miami instead.

Yes, he's probably one of the greatest players to play the game, however I can't help feel that this solidifies MLS as a bit of a retirement league. It's falling into the old NASL trap.

Personally I'm just gutted he wont have the opportunity to be coached by the 3rd most popular Neville sibling.
Messi carried Argentina to a World Cup 6 months ago and was only one of two players to have 15g + 15a in Europe this past club season. He could start for every single team in the world still. This is a great signing.

Old 06-16-2023, 02:10 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevils3027 View Post
Messi carried Argentina to a World Cup 6 months ago and was only one of two players to have 15g + 15a in Europe this past club season. He could start for every single team in the world still. This is a great signing.
Messi will be 36 next week. Ronaldo hit the wall at 36/37 and was benched at Manchester United. He was their leading goal scorer and rescued their season the year before. A Champions League-level striker has to press and play defense. Messi was likely to hit the same wall everyone else hits at that age.

Old 06-17-2023, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Messi will be 36 next week. Ronaldo hit the wall at 36/37 and was benched at Manchester United. He was their leading goal scorer and rescued their season the year before. A Champions League-level striker has to press and play defense. Messi was likely to hit the same wall everyone else hits at that age.
We will see - Messi is much less reliant on athleticism and strength than Ronaldo. Zlatan was still a strong contributor in Serie A until 40. Copa America is next summer so Messi has plenty of motivation to stay on top of his game. If Barca was able to afford him, no one would be saying this right now. It’s because he signed in MLS that the detractors come out.

Old 06-17-2023, 06:35 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,296,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
He likely would have a similar deal as Beckham when he first signed with the LA Galaxy i.e. a purchase option for a club when he retires, and Miami/MLS is getting creative re: various brands/partnerships to lure him in as well i.e. Adidas, Apple and so on. It certainly worked, as Messi turned down an annual $400m+ to play in Saudi Arabia.
I heard he didn't go because his wife said she wouldn't move to a country that treated women so badly.

Old 06-17-2023, 09:42 AM

8,660 posts, read 3,856,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I heard he didn't go because his wife said she wouldn't move to a country that treated women so badly.
Although this certainly makes sense in terms of many areas which still need improvement, they’ve come a long way relative to education, employment and so on. In fact, women comprise the majority of enrolled university students.

That said, from what I’ve read/gathered, they specifically wanted the move to the US, as he had other opportunities as well, obviously. It’s been in the works awhile; Inter Miami/MLS pursued Messi for several years whereas the Saudi Arabia deal was simply transactional.

Old 06-17-2023, 01:16 PM

Quote:
We will see - Messi is much less reliant on athleticism and strength than Ronaldo.
That’s pretty far from reality. Messi is probably the most agile player to ever play the game and has phenomenal burst speed. He’s really hard to knock off the ball and a lot of that is pure strength. You don’t have to look like Lukaku to be strong.

Old 06-18-2023, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
That’s pretty far from reality. Messi is probably the most agile player to ever play the game and has phenomenal burst speed. He’s really hard to knock off the ball and a lot of that is pure strength. You don’t have to look like Lukaku to be strong.
I said his game is less predicated on it than Ronaldo. A Messi who takes a step back in athletic ability would still be a help to every single team in the world. You just want to poo poo this because it’s a good thing for MLS

Old 06-19-2023, 07:29 AM

Quote:
I said his game is less predicated on it than Ronaldo. A Messi who takes a step back in athletic ability would still be a help to every single team in the world. You just want to poo poo this because it’s a good thing for MLS
I think it’s great for the MLS to offer semi-retirement jobs to aging name footballers. They don’t have to move to Saudi Arabia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer