Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2022, 04:28 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,717,739 times

Advertisements

This is an opinion/perspective thread, there is no right or wrong answer, I am not even gonna care if they're realistic answers or not

Now why I think this might be this the case

Well let's see, everytime America tries to prove itself, is never enough for the elitist fans that particularly live in Europe or SA as sad as it is

The US is never really given a fair chance at all, rampant anti Americanism aside, I get that nationalism is a huge part of international football culture, I get that, but I get the impression some people really don't want to see America succedd in the international football/soccer scene, which is why they always paint the US always as the "away" team in most matchups

So why would Americans get invested in a game full of egotistical pricks that care more about selling controversy and getting all engaged in outrage culture than playing fairly?

Last but not least, the US already had an established sports culture way before the globalization of the sport even began waves around the mid half of the 20th century, making Americans care too much about soccer/football would probably lead to a serious burnout, is best that the enthusiasm is really reserved for serious and special ocassions I think.

Plus the promotion of soccer being a global game is too pretentious, if the favoritism always goes to European or South American teams, it is far from being a true global sport.

On the other hands there are countries with a far less serious soccer culture than the US including pretty much the rest of the Anglosphere besides the UK(in particular England), Japan, Venezuela, Costa Rica, Honduras, India, **** I would even argue the Scandinavian region is another one of them cultures without serious passion for soccer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2022, 04:45 PM

15,819 posts, read 6,527,022 times
I doubt it. That matters far more in other countries than in the US. The problem in the US has been an inability for soccer to compete with better established (and much better funded) sports. That has slowly begun to change in the US though, to the point where it can now attract decent players still in their prime. The average attendance in the US for MLS games has steadily increased every year since 2002 up until the pandemic, increasing from 2.2 million up to 8.7 million in 2019. Compare to 11.7 million for the PL in 2021/22.

Old 04-05-2022, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I doubt it. That matters far more in other countries than in the US. The problem in the US has been an inability for soccer to compete with better established (and much better funded) sports. That has slowly begun to change in the US though, to the point where it can now attract decent players still in their prime. The average attendance in the US for MLS games has steadily increased every year since 2002 up until the pandemic, increasing from 2.2 million up to 8.7 million in 2019. Compare to 11.7 million for the PL in 2021/22.
Yes I've heard the MLS stats before as well, I wonder how they're continuing to grow

Old 04-05-2022, 06:49 PM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times
I think the problem is the lack of advertising revenue. US sports is endless commercial breaks. It’s not fan attendance. It’s lack of major network television exposure because there’s no money in it. I pay for Peacock, Sling, Paramount, and ESPN+ to watch Liverpool. I’ve abandoned US sports other than the Patriots. I can’t take the endless flood of commercials.

I used to have Revolution season tickets. I gave it up because the quality was so poor. It’s never going to get much better because there isn’t the television revenue to pay world class players. Since there’s no money in it, the best athletes in the US pick other sports.

Compared to Champions League level of play, the USMNT is very minor league. It was painful watching them in Costa Rica the other day.

Old 04-05-2022, 09:18 PM

1,538 posts, read 866,766 times
I didn't know Costa Rica was less serious about soccer (known as football there) .

Old 04-05-2022, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
I didn't know Costa Rica was less serious about soccer (known as football there) .
Eh is 50/50, yes they're Latin American so is still kinda like automatically engrained, but they don't have a serious hype around it
At least the US has some serious patriotism whenever they're in a World Cup, of course I think some of the patriotism itself overshadows the ability of some players to actually treat soccer for what it is

Old 04-05-2022, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I think the problem is the lack of advertising revenue. US sports is endless commercial breaks. It’s not fan attendance. It’s lack of major network television exposure because there’s no money in it. I pay for Peacock, Sling, Paramount, and ESPN+ to watch Liverpool. I’ve abandoned US sports other than the Patriots. I can’t take the endless flood of commercials.

I used to have Revolution season tickets. I gave it up because the quality was so poor. It’s never going to get much better because there isn’t the television revenue to pay world class players. Since there’s no money in it, the best athletes in the US pick other sports.

Compared to Champions League level of play, the USMNT is very minor league. It was painful watching them in Costa Rica the other day.
This is a stupid reason, but like they say money does run wild in the pockets of American sports

Old 04-06-2022, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvbvbvbv View Post
lol it is international sport with different countryes wanting their country to win so what do you expect them to like usa more then their own country like they need american b.s. of inclusion and diversity in this sport. this is sport based ON SPORTING MERRIT not american sport where we need this amount of these and these and these at expense of these to be called a sport
I thought America was racist and xenophobic

Old 04-06-2022, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvbvbvbv View Post
believe it or not nobody gives a **** if america is racist or not in footbaling world people have their own lives clubs countries to care about then to care about usa

Old 04-06-2022, 05:55 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
What’s the population of Costa Rica? Not a trick question. 5 million. The United States is 330 million. If soccer were an important sport in the US, the USMNT would be stuffed full of world class players. There’s no money in it. An entry level NBA ($925k) or MLB ($700k) player is making approaching $1 million. An entry level MLS player is waiting tables to make ends meet. The reason is television money. 45 minute halves with no commercial breaks doesn’t generate enough revenue for network television so soccer will always be an afterthought. In hockey, it used to be like that. The 1980 Lake Placid hockey games and miracle on ice didn’t have commercial breaks. The US feed would cut away from the middle of games for commercial breaks. The Canadian feed didn’t.

Soccer will never be the dominant spectator sport in the US because the major networks have no interest. There’s not enough advertising revenue in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer