Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 08:52 AM

15,821 posts, read 6,530,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I doubt the US would ever encounter any Anti-Americanism, as it has it's own domestic leagues and in terms of international football with the exception of the World Cup Finals every four years, the US mainly plays countries from The Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football.

The World Cup is hardly racist, and in terms of club level football, other than the occasional pre-season friendly clubs from Europe and the US never meet.
It's possible that American players in other leagues may encounter some amount of anti-Americanism, but I doubt that has much impact within the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2022, 12:45 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
I doubt the US would ever encounter any Anti-Americanism, as it has it's own domestic leagues and in terms of international football with the exception of the World Cup Finals every four years, the US mainly plays countries from The Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football.

The World Cup is hardly racist, and in terms of club level football, other than the occasional pre-season friendly clubs from Europe and the US never meet.
Atletico Madrid just played a Champions League match against Manchester City with 5,000 empty seats as a penalty for racist taunts. The EPL kneels before every match and comes down hard on racist taunts but other leagues aren’t like that. There’s plenty of racism in the World Cup. However, anti-American isn’t racist. I think that if the USMNT wasn’t lousy, they’d run into anti-American supporters.

I am a Liverpool supporter. I cheer for the guy from Senegal and the guy from Egypt. I’m also wowed by a South Korean when I watch Tottenham. I don’t think I’m particularly racist when it comes to spectator sports. At the moment, I think I’d cheer pretty hard against the Russian hockey team.

Old 04-21-2022, 08:01 AM

27,146 posts, read 13,434,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Atletico Madrid just played a Champions League match against Manchester City with 5,000 empty seats as a penalty for racist taunts. The EPL kneels before every match and comes down hard on racist taunts but other leagues aren’t like that. There’s plenty of racism in the World Cup. However, anti-American isn’t racist. I think that if the USMNT wasn’t lousy, they’d run into anti-American supporters.

I am a Liverpool supporter. I cheer for the guy from Senegal and the guy from Egypt. I’m also wowed by a South Korean when I watch Tottenham. I don’t think I’m particularly racist when it comes to spectator sports. At the moment, I think I’d cheer pretty hard against the Russian hockey team.
Anti-Americanism was the issue, and as I pointed out other than the odd friendly or the World Cup, most European teams don't play American teams.

In terms of the World Cup finals it's once every four years and is hardly a hot bed of racism.

Atletico Madrid were ordered to close part of their stadium and display a huge anti-racism sign at their Champions League return match with Manchester City, and there are occasional problems especially in Southern and Eastern Europe, however it's not a massive problem in most professional leagues, and is not something I see on a regular basis in the EPL or Championship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
It's possible that American players in other leagues may encounter some amount of anti-Americanism, but I doubt that has much impact within the U.S.
I can't say I have noticed, and most American players and coaches are treated well in the UK.

Old 04-21-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Anti-Americanism was the issue, and as I pointed out other than the odd friendly or the World Cup, most European teams don't play American teams.

In terms of the World Cup finals it's once every four years and is hardly a hot bed of racism.

Atletico Madrid were ordered to close part of their stadium and display a huge anti-racism sign at their Champions League return match with Manchester City, and there are occasional problems especially in Southern and Eastern Europe, however it's not a massive problem in most professional leagues, and is not something I see on a regular basis in the EPL or Championship.

I can't say I have noticed, and most American players and coaches are treated well in the UK.

Run a quick Google on "Racism in French football". Then plug in "German". "Italian". "Portuguese".

And for the World Cup, try "Qatar racism" as a search. Oh, and they're not slaves, they're "migrant labor".

Like I said, if the USMNT didn't suck, they'd bump into a lot of anti-American. They'd be doing well to make it out of group play in Qatar.

Old 04-26-2022, 09:37 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,016,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
This is an opinion/perspective thread, there is no right or wrong answer, I am not even gonna care if they're realistic answers or not

Now why I think this might be this the case

Well let's see, everytime America tries to prove itself, is never enough for the elitist fans that particularly live in Europe or SA as sad as it is

The US is never really given a fair chance at all, rampant anti Americanism aside, I get that nationalism is a huge part of international football culture, I get that, but I get the impression some people really don't want to see America succedd in the international football/soccer scene, which is why they always paint the US always as the "away" team in most matchups

So why would Americans get invested in a game full of egotistical pricks that care more about selling controversy and getting all engaged in outrage culture than playing fairly?

Last but not least, the US already had an established sports culture way before the globalization of the sport even began waves around the mid half of the 20th century, making Americans care too much about soccer/football would probably lead to a serious burnout, is best that the enthusiasm is really reserved for serious and special ocassions I think.

Plus the promotion of soccer being a global game is too pretentious, if the favoritism always goes to European or South American teams, it is far from being a true global sport.

On the other hands there are countries with a far less serious soccer culture than the US including pretty much the rest of the Anglosphere besides the UK(in particular England), Japan, Venezuela, Costa Rica, Honduras, India, **** I would even argue the Scandinavian region is another one of them cultures without serious passion for soccer
I have to say I've never noticed any 'rampant anti Americanism'? I'm genuinely curious to know in what way is the US 'never really given a fair chance'? In what way is 'favouritism' always given to European or South American teams? Scandinavian's (like the rest of Europe) are crazy for football and you could argue that the Scots are even more crazy for football than the English!

Old 04-27-2022, 12:22 PM

4,295 posts, read 1,554,301 times
I think there's a distrust of American fans among some places. It might come from the supposed superiority of European leagues (not supposed, it's just fact) with their relegation/promotion models, it might come from the growing calls to "franchise" football clubs from owners groups or it might come from the unique American chants we see, which are inherently hilarious to European viewers - don't know why, but a crowd singing "I believe that we will win" is the most American thing in existence.

I don't think it's anti-americanism as such. It would be if London suddenly had an MLB team. Americans wouldn't take them seriously, and rightly so, there's no culture of baseball in the UK.

Eventually America will embrace soccer.

Old 04-27-2022, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Eventually America will embrace soccer.

We've covered this ground but the lack of commercial breaks is a non-starter for soccer to make it to United States prime time television. There isn't enough TV revenue for a US professional league to pay players competitively. Any good US player will go to Europe. With no domestic money to pay athletes, the best US athletes will continue to migrate towards the high paying US professional sports.

Old 04-27-2022, 03:19 PM

11,424 posts, read 5,967,061 times
It is just that soccer is a fairly new sport in America and has to compete with things like football and baseball and hockey, that don't exist in most other countries. We have too many good choices. In many nations "football" is the only major sport that peolpe can participate in, let alone watch in any great numbers.

Their is a reason soccer and volleyball are so common in poor nations. Football and baseball take a lot of equipment. You can't just play basketball anywhere. All soccer takes is a dirt field and anything you can turn into a sphere to kick around.

Old 04-28-2022, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
It is just that soccer is a fairly new sport in America and has to compete with things like football and baseball and hockey, that don't exist in most other countries. We have too many good choices. In many nations "football" is the only major sport that peolpe can participate in, let alone watch in any great numbers.

Their is a reason soccer and volleyball are so common in poor nations. Football and baseball take a lot of equipment. You can't just play basketball anywhere. All soccer takes is a dirt field and anything you can turn into a sphere to kick around.
The projection is that 68% of the planet will live urban by 2050. Advantage basketball. 120 yards by 80 yards is hard to come by.

In the US, this is strictly a media profit issue. 45 minutes with no commercials is never going to make it to prime time television and that’s where all the money is. I haven’t weaned myself of NFL football yet but I’ve completely abandoned US pro sports otherwise because of the endless commercial breaks. Soccer is a way better television spectator experience now that large HD panels exist.

Old 04-28-2022, 08:35 AM

15,821 posts, read 6,530,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
We've covered this ground but the lack of commercial breaks is a non-starter for soccer to make it to United States prime time television. There isn't enough TV revenue for a US professional league to pay players competitively. Any good US player will go to Europe. With no domestic money to pay athletes, the best US athletes will continue to migrate towards the high paying US professional sports.
Most of the big payoff American sports have prototypical athlete dimensions that are uncommon in the populace, so there is a definite niche for good athletes that don't fit the other molds. At present the top paid players in MLS get seven figure salaries. Carlos Vela gets $6.3 million, which would put him around 80th in the PL. We're not there yet, but it's steadily improving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer