Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2007, 03:47 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,896 times

Advertisements

Well, after a quick search of your posts, apparently you just search "seattle + rain" and chime in...

More to the point, as you said on THIS THREAD > https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...ove-phx-5.html It's no secret that it rains in the PNW. Further to the point, at least 3 or 4 people on this very same thread are saying basically the same thing I am.

Tony, is that you??? Ha!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 04:19 PM

28 posts, read 256,620 times
I'm a lover.

And a resident, too. West Seattle. California Avenue, halfway between the junctions Admiral and Alaska. But I also view pictures of Seattle online and elsewhere. And take many, too, being an amatuer photog.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 03-07-2007 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: partially orphaned

Old 03-01-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Well, after a quick search of your posts, apparently you just search "seattle + rain" and chime in...

More to the point, as you said on THIS THREAD > https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...ove-phx-5.html It's no secret that it rains in the PNW. Further to the point, at least 3 or 4 people on this very same thread are saying basically the same thing I am.

Tony, is that you??? Ha!!
Seattle gets around 36 inches of rain a year. So no, it isn't a secret that it rains here. But this isn't a revolutionary statement. It also isn't inaccurate. And it definitely isn't saying that a season transitions from summer to rainy drizzle.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:32 PM

What Wiki says, and basically what I have said through out this forum - several times. I don't recall ever saying it downpoured, OR that the amount of rain in Seattle was more than anywhere else... however you WILL be under cloud cover, drizzle and dark days - more often than not.

Quote:
Seattle's inaccurate worldwide reputation for rain derives from the fact that it is cloudy (not rainy) an average of 226 days per year (vs. 132 in New York City). Most of the precipitation falls as drizzle or light rain, with downpours happening only occasionally. Snow is rare, and only falls in significant amounts every few years. Snowfall of less significance occurs about twice a year. The spring, late fall, and winter are filled with days when it does not rain but looks as if it may because of cloudy, overcast skies. As for temperature, winters are cool and wet with average lows around 35-40°F (2-4 °C) on winter nights. Colder weather occurs, but seldom lasts more than a few days. Summers are dry and warm, with average daytime highs around 75-80°F (24-27°C). Seattle's hottest official recorded temperature was 100 °F (37.8 °C) on July 20, 1994; the coldest recorded temperature was 0°F(-17.7°C) on January 31, 1950.[31]

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 03-07-2007 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: unnecessary

Old 03-01-2007, 11:55 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
binky, let me chime in here. First, lighten up, c'mon!

Professionality??! None of us are doing this for money! This is a message board for golly sake! Relax and have some fun. We can still share opinions and information about the topics without having to worry about necessarily maintaining a business-like atmosphere.

I happen to agree with Jenbar's opinion. Jenbar and I don't always agree.

I left the area. Why? One of the reasons was for the exact one which Jenbar has stated. Accurate? I'd say just about right on. But again, it's our opinion. Do we not have the right to our opinion? Do we not have the right to express it here on this forum just as much as you have the right to express yours? Who are you to judge if it's the correct or accurate one?

We've been over this same argument with another poster about a month ago. He essentially was taking a similar stance: "Seattle is getting a bum rap with all your inaccurate opinions!" It's almost an oxymoronic concept. I mean, they're OPINIONS! Opinions by definition are not judged as being accurate or inaccurate. They're only what seems true to one's own mind.

My lack of debating skills are showing here but my point is, a person's opinion can't be judged correct in absolute terms. So why do you necessarily believe that your view or opinion is the right one? Shouldn't we have the privilege to express ours too? We can all list facts until we're blue in the face but how we as individuals interpret those facts can somewhat be left to our own opinions.

If you were to report everyone who disagrees with you or those whose style may irritate you to the moderator and subsequent action bans those of us from the forum, then wouldn't this just become a column on Seattle's virtures by binkylafarle and friends?

So instead of "no it's not, yes it is, no it's not, yes it is, no it's not, yes it is; could we instead say, "It's my opinion that Seattle has 3 weeks of summer and eleven-plus months of various types of dampness." and you could respond, "interesting, well, I disagree. My opinion is that Seattle has four beautiful seasons that are distinctly separate from each other yet all beautiful." We could then banter back and forth a bit on why we each defend our respective opinion. Jokes could be made ...a little kidding here and there and we move on to the next topic of discussion.

Or am I all wet here?

...no, that's the reason I left Seattle --I was always wet.

--'rocco

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-21-2007 at 11:14 PM..

Old 03-02-2007, 01:15 AM

I'm not convinced that eating an apple can lead one to wonder whether or not one is eating an apple. I can see how one might not like it- an opinion. I can also see how one may interpret the taste, another opinion, but in the end, it's still an apple. To say that it isn't is an inaccurate statement. There were at least two inaccurate statements pointed out and clearly mentioned throughout the discussion between me and Jenbar. A discussion that, turning personal, I hope is now over.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 03-07-2007 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: partially orphaned

Old 03-02-2007, 01:36 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
I'm sorry but if the weather was really the way Jenbar and others describe it, I would have left long ago. A complete over exaggaration. It absolutely is not the truth. I was expecting rain rain and more rain, the way the locals were describing it. Does it rain? Yes. Does it drizzle? Yes. But 9 months of it? Please! Fall in Seattle is quite glorious imo.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:54 AM

Nothing I have said is inaccurate. One of my son's birthdays is near the end of June. We never could schedule the party outside, because the weather wasn't reliable. June is often still drizzly and gray. July is better, August is gorgeous... and then here comes the start of school in September, where most kids are still wearing shorts, I have picture after picture of gray days and my kid is long pants and a jacket. We had MONTHS where we could not access our backyard because it was a swamp mess... and the neighborhood park was also inaccessible until late June because of the mucky mud.

We lived in Bothell - with huge towering cedar trees that we were always concerned might fall on top of the house with the wind storms and rain pour.

I had a re-roofing project that was scheduled for early september, which was delayed by 2 wks because of rain. I blogged about it at the time, and would be happy to provide the link - but then I would get a profile infraction for "advertising".

I have picture upon picture of my kids in grey, drizzly, wet days.

Nothing I have said is inaccurate!

I lived there for 10 years! I lived there for some of the most wettest months on record. It doesn't downpour, it steadily drizzles for weeks & months on end, with a dry albeit cloudy day, thrown in here and there.

I am not the only one here saying it - it's one of the most often mentioned statements IN this forum... and so far, only 3 or so people have challenged it saying it's "inaccurate".

Yeah, as I said in a post above, when I was a newbie to the area, I defended it too.

It's a gray, drizzly area.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:33 AM

Beautiful scenes yet again, pwright1! I think Autumn just barely edges out Spring as my favorite time of year here.

Awesome stuff! Thanks.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:58 AM

Not exactly accurate. I make it sound like it is. Generally, cloudy, gray and drizzly.

As I have said, June you still have heat on, July is ok here and there, August is gorgeous - and the rest of the months are a crap shoot. September - November are generally wet. Dec - March are chilly, occasionally snowy, and usually gray, mostly wet. April & May are chilly mostly, occasionally warmish, off and on with gray, drizzle and a day or two of sun mixed in.

That's how it is. That's how it was for the 10 years I lived there. It's varied a bit this year because there was an extra warm August, extended Wind and Rain storm in the fall, which followed snow in the winter, more snow than usual.

You post your pictures through out this forum like you are some authority because you have pictures. Here are some of mine...

First day of school, which typically occurs after Sept 6. Please note the long pants and jacket.

Here is my oldest, wanting to go outside after being stuck inside because of rain for 2 wks.

Here's a "day at the beach" - doesn't it look warm out??? Look at all that SUN!

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 03-07-2007 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: partially orphaned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area