Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2007, 04:06 PM

454 posts, read 905,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattletony View Post
We have had a 100 year events occurr this winter wind gust equal to a catagory 3 hurricane at times more rain (close to 14 inches) in November in the recorded history of the city. I'm no meteorologist but what can all this be chalked up to??
Maybe it's God's way of washing all of the Californian's out. Just kidding.

I have been here all my life. I remember when I was a kid we had snow every winter, and usually had a major winter storm season about every 7 years.

In 1962 we had the columbus day storm with winds up to 80 MPH. On December 26th 1996 to Jan 3rd 1997 we had three ice storms hit. The tacoma narrows bridge was closed due to the concern that chunks of ice would fall on cars. In Cle-Elum they had 83" of snow on the ground. In 1888 Seatte had 3 feet of snow. !946, 1948 brought a foot of snow. In seattle there were reports that greenlake froze over to a depth that allowed cars to drive on the lake.

So, while this is not "normal", we have those "events" that remind us that we are very small in the big scheme of things and that nature can kick our butts.

My dad tells me that when his father was a child in Idaho, the temperature would get so cold, the flame on the candle would freeze, and they had to pull the flame off and throw it outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 04:47 PM

61 posts, read 210,496 times
Default Weather..

My kids can't wait for some snow. Save some for us when we arrive in February.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:23 PM

331 posts, read 2,108,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dufferz View Post
Maybe it's God's way of washing all of the Californian's out. Just kidding.

Well Duff it hasn't scared THIS Native Californian away!!!!

Old 01-10-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compltlyme View Post
Well Duff it hasn't scared THIS Native Californian away!!!!
OK, take the test.

Go stand in front of the mirror after your morning shower and look at yourself.

If:

You see a tan line, you're still a Californian

If:

your skin glows white instead of red, your a washingtonian.

If:

you see a tan line, rub it and gritty orange stuff comes off. It's rust. Your a WASHINGTONIAN!

Old 01-10-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossanovawitcha View Post
My kids can't wait for some snow. Save some for us when we arrive in February.
With the way things are going, we will have plenty to spread your way.

If not, then a trip to Stevens Pass is a must, then go to over to Leavenworth and shop and look around. A great day trip for a nice winter day!

Old 01-10-2007, 11:00 PM

No tan line here anymore!!!! But I did get somewhat of a tan this past summer while on a boat crusing Lake Washington... didn't think it possible!!!

As for snow we have probably about 5-6 inches outside now up on our hill. My neighbor and I went for a long walk and I saw more people out walking than I ever did in the summer!!!!

Old 01-12-2007, 12:56 AM

29 posts, read 181,041 times
Took a walk around town today, and with all the snow on the ground I got a really good sunburn............snowburn? Still waiting for those subzero temps.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3 Liters View Post
Took a walk around town today, and with all the snow on the ground I got a really good sunburn............snowburn? Still waiting for those subzero temps.
how much do you have there? snow that is...

Old 01-12-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dufferz View Post
how much do you have there? snow that is...
How much did you get there in Bothell?

We got almost a foot up here on the hill... Now, on the road... we have that lovely ICE!!!

Old 01-12-2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compltlyme View Post
How much did you get there in Bothell?

We got almost a foot up here on the hill... Now, on the road... we have that lovely ICE!!!
We peaked at about 2-4". We live in a lower elevation, so we got 2". 6 blocks away they got about 4".

At this rate the kids will be in school until the 4th of july!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area