Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 11:45 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,161,333 times

Advertisements

This definitely comes out of nowhere, if they do replace this bridge, I would imagine the new bridge would be 8 lanes and similar to the Ravenel Bridge in Charleston.

Quote:
The Georgia Ports Authority will work with the Georgia Department of Transportation and state legislators to examine the infrastructure and possible replacement of the Talmadge Bridge, GPA Executive Director Griff Lynch announced Thursday during the annual State of the Port address.

Work on the Savannah Harbor Expansion Project, which is halfway finished, is expected to be complete in 2021 and will bring larger ships.

Although no such vessels currently call on the U.S. East Coast, the port could handle some vessels up to 19,000 TEU capacity with a larger bridge.
Georgia Ports, DOT to study possible replacement of Savannah’s Talmadge Bridge - News - Savannah Morning News - Savannah, GA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 11:50 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
This definitely comes out of nowhere, if they do replace this bridge, I would imagine the new bridge would be 8 lanes and similar to the Ravenel Bridge in Charleston.

Georgia Ports, DOT to study possible replacement of Savannah’s Talmadge Bridge - News - Savannah Morning News - Savannah, GA
LOL I wondered how quickly you’d post this as soon as I saw it pop up on my phone!

Old 09-20-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
LOL I wondered how quickly you’d post this as soon as I saw it pop up on my phone!
LOL! It popped up on my phone as well and I figured I would post it before I went to work. But the fact that GDOT and the GPA are studying replacing the Savannah Bridge show just how much the port is growing and the fact that Savannah is the state's true second economic driver after Atlanta.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:16 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,107,839 times
Quote:

I still wonder if it's fair to compare the Ravenel with the Talmadge. The Charleston bridge connects two real cities directly (with a pedestrian walkway to prove it): downtown Charleston and growing Mount Pleasant. The Ravenel serves a metro area double the population of the Savannah metro. And short of a serious population explosion in Bluffton, I can't imagine even a six-lane span from downtown Savannah. I don't mean the Talmadge is exactly the Bridge to Nowhere, but there's still not all that much on the other side.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
I still wonder if it's fair to compare the Ravenel with the Talmadge. The Charleston bridge connects two real cities directly (with a pedestrian walkway to prove it): downtown Charleston and growing Mount Pleasant. The Ravenel serves a metro area double the population of the Savannah metro. And short of a serious population explosion in Bluffton, I can't imagine even a six-lane span from downtown Savannah. I don't mean the Talmadge is exactly the Bridge to Nowhere, but there's still not all that much on the other side.
I hear what you're saying, but considering the planned expansion of the convention center, future development of Hutchinson, the planned widening of U.S. 17 and an additional span of the SC side, plus several massive planned communities for Hardeeville and the future Jasper Port, A six-lane span may be feasible. Savannah is growing and with the expansion happening at the port, I'm sure city officials are looking at this as once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to not only get a bigger bridge, but a chance to get ahead of any future traffic issues. Also I think pedestrian facilities along any new bridge would be feasible. Whenever I'm in Savannah, I see quite a few people jogging/running and biking along the Talmadge Bridge to Hutchinson.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:26 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
I’m with Mason on this one. I find it downright laughable that one would consider more than 3 lanes on each direction for the Savannah bridge. Even with Hutchinson and SC growth, the traffic isn’t there and won’t be anything like traffic on Charleston’s Ravenel bridge for probably decades to come.

I do, however, think a pedestrian lane and/or dedicated space for such should be a top priority when this does happen.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:16 PM

450 posts, read 461,513 times
It won't be that long before it is done, I bet. I will guess, 6 lanes and a minimum high tide clearance of at least 215'. The interesting part will be where the bridge starts and finishes. It will be extremely steep to bring it down in the same location on Hutchinson Island. I will suggest it follows the old bridge location and the remove the columns finally! It will land in South Carolina across the back river with An exit ramp to and from Hutchinson. The Savannah side will be more interesting, I am going with they will soften the curve and conviently have to buyout Chatham Steel to align it properly. In doing so, they will make a "Savannah Gateway" exit/entrance at Gwinnett Street. Gwinnett will "need" to be widened and cleaned up between MLK and Stiles (at the new arena site!). Because of this and to "eliminate a dangerous situation and confusion" Oglethorpe exit/ramp eliminated. MLK overpass and ramp eliminated. Montgomery St. exit and ramp eliminated. Louisville Road ramps eliminated. DOT will "restore" those areas back to as close to Oglethorpe plan (Feds and historical depts will "require" this for federal funds). Savannah gets ALOT of help restoring connectivity to the historically depressed area and miraculously gets a bunch $$$ to help the arena and new city complex that is going to be built in a horrible location look really great!

Old 09-20-2018, 02:38 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,651,502 times
Quote:
I hear what you're saying, but considering the planned expansion of the convention center, future development of Hutchinson, the planned widening of U.S. 17 and an additional span of the SC side, plus several massive planned communities for Hardeeville and the future Jasper Port, A six-lane span may be feasible. Savannah is growing and with the expansion happening at the port, I'm sure city officials are looking at this as once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to not only get a bigger bridge, but a chance to get ahead of any future traffic issues. Also I think pedestrian facilities along any new bridge would be feasible. Whenever I'm in Savannah, I see quite a few people jogging/running and biking along the Talmadge Bridge to Hutchinson.
I agree with you. Plan for the future. Cost will continue to increase.

Old 09-20-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Survivor View Post
It won't be that long before it is done, I bet. I will guess, 6 lanes and a minimum high tide clearance of at least 215'. The interesting part will be where the bridge starts and finishes. It will be extremely steep to bring it down in the same location on Hutchinson Island. I will suggest it follows the old bridge location and the remove the columns finally! It will land in South Carolina across the back river with An exit ramp to and from Hutchinson. The Savannah side will be more interesting, I am going with they will soften the curve and conviently have to buyout Chatham Steel to align it properly. In doing so, they will make a "Savannah Gateway" exit/entrance at Gwinnett Street. Gwinnett will "need" to be widened and cleaned up between MLK and Stiles (at the new arena site!). Because of this and to "eliminate a dangerous situation and confusion" Oglethorpe exit/ramp eliminated. MLK overpass and ramp eliminated. Montgomery St. exit and ramp eliminated. Louisville Road ramps eliminated. DOT will "restore" those areas back to as close to Oglethorpe plan (Feds and historical depts will "require" this for federal funds). Savannah gets ALOT of help restoring connectivity to the historically depressed area and miraculously gets a bunch $$$ to help the arena and new city complex that is going to be built in a horrible location look really great!
I honestly think your scenario is the most likely one to happen. Savannah has been wanting to eliminate the I-16 flyover for awhile now and this would be the perfect time for them to get this done. Also this would help the city's Arena and Canal District plan as far as getting a new municipal complex built.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:36 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Survivor View Post
That’s a lot of “what ifs” and would be a massive construction project on the scale of what GDOT is currently doing in downtown Macon not including the bridge replacement. I predict a $1 billion price tag easily for something so large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area