Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 07:52 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I lived in an unincorporated area in Florida for 12 years, half of our name-designated area was in one county and half was in the other county. Neither county made any effort in those years to annex anything and there was valuable beachfront in both areas.

We lived in the less valuable county and saw how citizens reacted when we attended a county meeting where property owners could speak about a proposed property tax increase directly to county commissioners. WOW I've never been in a room of hundreds of people who were there to calmly but strongly protest by speaking, one by one, to say NO. They had to change the location 2nd time and have deputy attend because of the number of people who came the 1st time. Taxes were not raised.

No way would they allow annexation lol.
They are fortunate that they have found a method through which they can have a voice in the decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2024, 08:04 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,011,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Yes, at the far north end of the county. The county purchased the large farm here in hopes of attracting industry. Right now they have held the county fair there and other events, but still have yet to make plans for the infrastructure for the industrial. Already an apartment complex will be completed in another 3-4 months. Receiving calls and cards in mail inquiring if interested in selling homes in area. Will not be the place I grew up in much longer.
To add. There have been questions about incorporating, so we could have more control over what happens vs the county making all the decisions on zoning and related issues. The county does a good job with sheriff's office to provide police service. They also provide for the volunteer fire departments here, as well as throughout the rest of county. Roads are good, but in the summer they do fall behind on keeping right of ways clear. All said, if incorporation had happened years ago, it would've been far easier, not so much now, I think

Old 04-06-2024, 08:13 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
To add. There have been questions about incorporating, so we could have more control over what happens vs the county making all the decisions on zoning and related issues. The county does a good job with sheriff's office to provide police service. They also provide for the volunteer fire departments here, as well as throughout the rest of county. Roads are good, but in the summer they do fall behind on keeping right of ways clear. All said, if incorporation had happened years ago, it would've been far easier, not so much now, I think
You speak of half the formula, don't forget the other half, your taxes.

Regardless of who the governing authority is, they will expand. They will hire more bureaucrats to rule over you. They will spend your money to provide more services to your area, maybe services you do not want.

I had a home with a well and septic. I was charged to pay for my well and septic system to be plugged with concrete. Our road was dug up so they could dig a trench to install nasty Chlorinated city water pipelines and sewage pipes. Then we were charged for connecting these to our homes. Ending with monthly fees and increased taxes.

Homeowners never had a voice in the process.

Old 04-07-2024, 12:27 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
You speak of half the formula, don't forget the other half, your taxes.

Regardless of who the governing authority is, they will expand. They will hire more bureaucrats to rule over you. They will spend your money to provide more services to your area, maybe services you do not want.

I had a home with a well and septic. I was charged to pay for my well and septic system to be plugged with concrete. Our road was dug up so they could dig a trench to install nasty Chlorinated city water pipelines and sewage pipes. Then we were charged for connecting these to our homes. Ending with monthly fees and increased taxes.

Homeowners never had a voice in the process.
That's unfortunate for you. When we lived in the unincorporated town of Inwood WV we had bought 5 acres of land off the Opequon River in 1999. We planned to build a home, but because of the proximity to the Opequon and our soil types we would be required to install a very, very expensive septic system.

The Opequon was an impaired water way that fed to the Potomac and ultimately the Chesapeake Bay watershed, there was a huge push to abandon failed septic systems and instead to a proposed sewage treatment plant. Around our area there will still 'open sewage' homes- pipes funneling human waste into the waterway.

So the county installed sewer, and part of our property had not only a main line that went under the Opequon, but a feeder line running next our house. We put in a 500gal holding tank temporarily and waited for the sewer line to be finished. We had to have it pumped a few times for a nominal cost but we avoided the $20,000+ to install a septic, which would have to be abandoned anyway.

It saved us a lot of money. And we were still unincorporated. And paid no hook up fee and I think $60 a month.

Old 04-07-2024, 04:16 AM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Just a note about the previous couple of posts and septic/central sewer and central water system.

In many cases the local governments have no choice but to build the systems. Since the Clean Water Act was passed the EPA has ordered states, and that's dropped down to locals to reduce sewage based pollution by astronomical amounts.

Now the carrot is grants to do it, the stick is lawsuits, fines and possible condemnation (I don't know if that's ever happened but the threat is there).

Developers and investors love central water and sewer because it makes their holdings more valuable, a result that's lost on a lot of people who want the systems because that means the area is "civilized".

Old 04-07-2024, 04:24 AM

381 posts, read 278,864 times
for the past 25 years in 3 different locales and 2 different states , the last area we left due to rampant unrestrained development among other reasons, no annexing or incorporating in 2 of the 3 , although incorporating was a HOT topic in one of them

Old 04-07-2024, 05:55 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Just a note about the previous couple of posts and septic/central sewer and central water system.

In many cases the local governments have no choice but to build the systems. Since the Clean Water Act was passed the EPA has ordered states, and that's dropped down to locals to reduce sewage based pollution by astronomical amounts.

Now the carrot is grants to do it, the stick is lawsuits, fines and possible condemnation (I don't know if that's ever happened but the threat is there).

Developers and investors love central water and sewer because it makes their holdings more valuable, a result that's lost on a lot of people who want the systems because that means the area is "civilized".
Yes. Our city sewer came about because the residents complained about water contamination. I attended the meetings. It was amazing how quickly it went from "We demand clean water" to "There is no problem" once the residents found out they would have to help pay for the city sewer extension. This was not pushed by the city. I think the city did have to certify that they could handle the additional load. I came out publicly in favor of the city sewer when I found out the assessment would be done by lot, and not by frontage. Because I have nearly 1000 ft. of frontage, this saved me a lot of money. I was also concerned that the opposition would slow down the project and cause us to lose a grant that would help pay for the sewer extension.

Old 04-07-2024, 07:08 AM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
The closer you live to a bigger expanding city the greater the chances has been my experience in Texas.

When I lived in the Austin TX area it took 10 years of slow annexation for the " city limit" to be across the road from my house.
I sold and moved more rural

Old 04-09-2024, 01:43 PM

4,506 posts, read 2,651,635 times
I'm hoping to move into a house in an unincorporated area within this year. Septic, of course, but we have a rural water system so we don't have to get into well water.

Old 04-11-2024, 11:39 AM

373 posts, read 377,251 times
There aren't unincorporated areas in this part or perhaps any part of New England, as it was all divided up into townships long ago. We pay property and excise taxes to our township and they (try) to provide services. This is a very rural township, the population, including a tiny village, is about 1200 people. The 'bureaucracy' consists of the elected Select Board, and we vote on everything at the annual Town Meeting.

This has more or less worked since 1760. My feeling is that it is best of the alternatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living