Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 07:50 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Yeah that kind of braggadocio is silly and dumb.

Only thing I'd add is consistently driving UNDER the speed limit, while I understand why some people do it, is not a good driving habit either.
Why risk it? In Texas you can get shot for that.

Also, you can be cited for obstructing traffic if, indeed, you are impeding the safe forward progress of other vehicles on the roadways. Texas Transportation Code Section 545.363

The speed limit was posted considering general hazards on the road. No need to drive slower than that and inventing fictitious scenarios.

Last edited by elnina; 03-02-2024 at 07:59 PM..

Old 03-02-2024, 08:21 PM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

Also, you can be cited for obstructing traffic if, indeed, you are impeding the safe forward progress of other vehicles on the roadways. Texas Transportation Code Section 545.363

The speed limit was posted considering general hazards on the road. No need to drive slower than that and inventing fictitious scenarios.
I wasn't supporting driving under the speed limit consistently, just acknowledging that I understand why some people do it.
It's still bad driving.

Old 03-02-2024, 09:54 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
The short answer will always be ‘Learn how to drive’.

Old 03-03-2024, 12:36 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
I wasn't supporting driving under the speed limit consistently, just acknowledging that I understand why some people do it.
It's still bad driving.

I meant "you" as " all of you"

Old 03-03-2024, 08:25 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
You only need to worry about gators in some states. But tailgaters exist everywhere, not just country roads. I've had them on multi lane highways where they are plenty of lanes to go around, but they just stick behind someone. They won't pass you until someone else passes and then they pass you until they catch up and then tailgate that person.

Old 03-03-2024, 09:23 AM

24,471 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
You only need to worry about gators in some states. But tailgaters exist everywhere, not just country roads. I've had them on multi lane highways where they are plenty of lanes to go around, but they just stick behind someone. They won't pass you until someone else passes and then they pass you until they catch up and then tailgate that person.
Hanging on to a rabbit.

Old 03-03-2024, 10:42 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

Is there anyway to give them the clear message BACK OFF!?
There is. You could put a conspicuously large sign on the back that says "The closer you get to riding on my back end the more I'm going to slow down and slow down to a full stop. So if you want to get ahead then back off or go around."

It doesn't mean that you aren't actually going to do the posted speed limit on the roads like normal, but the tailgater behind you isn't going to know that. Tapping the brakes frequently should get the message across too.

Old 03-03-2024, 12:47 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

Yep! A close relative of mine was ticketed for driving too slowly and obstructing traffic. Visibility and road conditions were fine, and she was not impaired in any way other than being overly nervous and preoccupied. There was no situational reason to be driving in that manner. Other drivers obeying the posted speed limit were getting irritated and taking unnecessary risks to pass her, which in turn puts even more motorists at risk. There are more than enough accidents as it is without adding some spaced out insecure ditz who shouldn't be in control of a car to the mix.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-03-2024 at 12:58 PM..

Old 03-03-2024, 12:59 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
There is. You could put a conspicuously large sign on the back that says "The closer you get to riding on my back end the more I'm going to slow down and slow down to a full stop. So if you want to get ahead then back off or go around."

It doesn't mean that you aren't actually going to do the posted speed limit on the roads like normal, but the tailgater behind you isn't going to know that. Tapping the brakes frequently should get the message across too.

Better yet just simplify it to read "PLEASE PASS. I CAN'T DRIVE"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living