Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 02:03 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Oregon is right. You're not going to retrain them or make them polite. They don't care about your reasons and threats won't make them more courteous. If they're bothering you just let them go around you. Even on a curvy road, it doesn't take much room to get around you if you signal and slow way down. Do that...
How much can I legally drop my speed below the posted limit?

Old 02-29-2024, 02:05 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
You can stop if you want. Where would it be illegal to pull over and let someone by?

Old 02-29-2024, 02:13 PM

Quote:
You can stop if you want. Where would it be illegal to pull over and let someone by?
Because there is no place to pull over. Half the route is without shoulder. It is rural road. As example, around the location where I did take the deer hit a number of years ago, at night, it is BLACK. No street lights. Impossible to see what is on the side of the road until one is on top of it.

That location has been one of my pull over locations because there is a warning sign up ahead and I know that when I see that, I have a space, a gravel pit driveway, to pull over into IMMEDIATELY, to stop and let people pass.

One is navigating at many places along that road not by sight but by land marks and knowing what is here or there.

Of course, there are two risks. If the option comes up to pull over where one does not know the lay of the land, then it is a fool's folly. If something happens to be in that familiar spot, in the dark, and the option to land there comes up, we-ll.........

Old 02-29-2024, 02:14 PM

474 posts, read 406,373 times
One point not yet mentioned...we do not know why they are in a hurry to pass you, and for all you know it could be a matter of life and death. In any case, it doesn't hurt to do the best you can to safely share the road, even if the other guy appears to be an a-hole. Agree you have to do it in a safe manner, and yeah, that is often the rub.

Old 02-29-2024, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Because there is no place to pull over. Half the route is without shoulder. It is rural road. As example, around the location where I did take the deer hit a number of years ago, at night, it is BLACK. No street lights. Impossible to see what is on the side of the road until one is on top of it.

That location has been one of my pull over locations because there is a warning sign up ahead and I know that when I see that, I have a space, a gravel pit driveway, to pull over into IMMEDIATELY, to stop and let people pass.

One is navigating at many places along that road not by sight but by land marks and knowing what is here or there.

Of course, there are two risks. If the option comes up to pull over where one does not know the lay of the land, then it is a fool's folly. If something happens to be in that familiar spot, in the dark, and the option to land there comes up, we-ll.........

You're making this too hard. If there is an irritating person behind you, pick as straight a stretch as possible, turn on your right turn signal (or your hazards, your choice) and slow way down until he starts around you. I'm not telling you to leave the pavement. Just pull over to the edge. If you can't do that, then flip your rear view mirror up so the glare isn't an issue, and let him follow you. Ignore him.

Old 02-29-2024, 02:26 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Post Admittedly, I will do my best to avoid hitting domestic pets/livestock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Just yesterday I had to brake hard for a coyote that crossed right in front of me. During the day it would be rare to see anything other than the occasional rabbit or squirrel cross the road, and by the amount of roadkill we see of those, they apparently don't bother people enough to jam on the brakes.
For smaller animals, it doesn't make sense to swerve, much less to "jam on the brakes", risking an accident.

I learned my lesson when I swerved to avoid hitting a fox darting across the road... Mr. Fox swerved the same direction, ran right under the tires, broke a brake line. My insurance adjuster says you should swerve to avoid people & moose, for anything much smaller than that, have faith in Darwin.

Old 02-29-2024, 02:27 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:

Dont pull over. I guess my country roads and yours are different. Slow down, wave them on.
If it is so blind sighted that it is not safe, what I do is hit my breaks, let them see my break lights really close and nearly hit me. They generally get the message.

Old 02-29-2024, 02:33 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:

You are not in charge of a public road way. Silly bumper sticker or not. Your vehicles have lights? Use them. Add eer whistles. Mount them correctly. Baiting drivers by slowing to a crawl can have repercussions. Turn your right blinker on and waive the other driver. You have posted about sight issues. Are you turning night blind?

Old 02-29-2024, 02:33 PM

Thank you for all the suggestions. One thing I might note is that as you are pulling over to the side, do use your flashers.

A few months ago, I was in this familiar situation when I was coming up to one of my familiar pull aside/let them pass locations when I got sandwiched. One car speeding past me on my left.....and one (or was it two) zipping past me on my right before I had pulled aside.

Now, once burned, twice shy. As I come up to that location, I have my right already blinking and I am reviewing my right Dumbo mirror to make sure no one is jockeying into that move.
Quote:
You're making this too hard. If there is an irritating person behind you, pick as straight a stretch as possible, turn on your right turn signal (or your hazards, your choice) and slow way down until he starts around you. I'm not telling you to leave the pavement. Just pull over to the edge. If you can't do that, then flip your rear view mirror up so the glare isn't an issue, and let him follow you. Ignore him.
Am I making this too hard? I am talking about a rural road. They are not known for their wideness.

A road like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@30.8255...8192?entry=ttu

This one is a bit nicer with room on the side and no double lines, but never the less, NARROW. There is a reason why the speed limit is only 45.

I like the hazards light suggestion, they might understand that better than hitting my turn signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Dont pull over. I guess my country roads and yours are different. Slow down, wave them on.
If it is so blind sighted that it is not safe, what I do is hit my breaks, let them see my break lights really close and nearly hit me. They generally get the message.
Thank you but given how I have seen people driving who must have been texting at the same time, I'd rather not push those odds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
You are not in charge of a public road way. Silly bumper sticker or not. Your vehicles have lights? Use them. Add eer whistles. Mount them correctly. Baiting drivers by slowing to a crawl can have repercussions. Turn your right blinker on and waive the other driver. You have posted about sight issues. Are you turning night blind?
No, I recognize there is wildlife in the country and I brake for such, be it animals or people.

As far as baiting drivers, how it be baiting if one is doing a legal speed limit ESPECIALLY if it is the legal max limit as posted?

As to deer whistles........ https://www.progressive.com/answers/...istle-for-car/

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 02-29-2024 at 02:51 PM..

Old 02-29-2024, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Am I making this too hard? I am talking about a rural road. They are not known for their wideness.

A road like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@30.8255...8192?entry=ttu

This one is a bit nicer with room on the side and no double lines, but never the less, NARROW. There is a reason why the speed limit is only 45.

Yes, way too hard. That road is a FREEWAY compared to what I was thinking of. There's all kinds of visibility on that road to see someone coming. If there's no oncoming traffic, then signal, pull to the right edge (no further!) and let them go it around you. Should take 30 seconds and a hundred yards to accomplish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living