Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2023, 05:39 AM

2,706 posts, read 2,207,814 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in a small town. I had to live in cities wherever my job took me, but I always returned to a small town. Even now at 72 I live in a small town which is closer to bigger towns, but far away from cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2023, 07:50 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
I'm not saying I live in a real rural location, but Google Maps doesn't update our area; it's like looking back in time.
HA you reminded me, I almost drove off a mountainside b/c GPS could not read that rural road.

Back on topic, small town life is cute until you realize how entrenched in dysfunction some people there are. It's only funny in movies. In real life it's often appalling. (Not knocking entire towns. In cities, people are forced to get along, for the most part.)

Old 10-20-2023, 01:51 AM

979 posts, read 538,618 times

Old 10-20-2023, 07:59 AM

2,339 posts, read 611,959 times
I lived in Ann Arbor ages 9-12 - Moved to Jonesville MI - small town 13-19 - so I grew up there. I left for USAF at 19. Never really lived in big city again. Del Rio TX for 11 years, Lumberton TX 9 years, CA/AZ 5 and back to SE TX for now. Small town - have to drive to Lumberton or Silsbee for Walmart.

Old 10-21-2023, 12:14 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Age 16, my father moved us from SoCal to rural MN (pop. 50) where we had a summer home, to alleviate our mom's depression (her relatives were in the Twin Cities). I had been a model kid, but soon got in trouble partying with the teens at the gravel pit in the woods. Nothing else to do.

My dad couldn't get his medical practice off the ground so we returned to SoCal.

Age 38, I lived in the Snowy Mts. of Montana in survival mode---no plumbing or electricity.

Age 42, I tried rural VT on 2 acres.

Now spending a couple months in No. San Diego on the beach and loving all the stuff to do. Walking everywhere, so much "action". People-watching from my window seat is a hoot.

Old 10-23-2023, 07:06 PM
Status: "Hello Darlin, Nice to see you - Conway Twitty" (set 4 days ago)

792 posts, read 372,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Age 16, my father moved us from SoCal to rural MN (pop. 50) where we had a summer home, to alleviate our mom's depression (her relatives were in the Twin Cities). I had been a model kid, but soon got in trouble partying with the teens at the gravel pit in the woods. Nothing else to do.

My dad couldn't get his medical practice off the ground so we returned to SoCal.

Age 38, I lived in the Snowy Mts. of Montana in survival mode---no plumbing or electricity.

Age 42, I tried rural VT on 2 acres.

Now spending a couple months in No. San Diego on the beach and loving all the stuff to do. Walking everywhere, so much "action". People-watching from my window seat is a hoot.
Thank you for sharing. I think that is a common story, people try to leave and cannot make it and return to where they came from because it accepts them. No judgment, San Diego is very nice. I remember walking across the border to Tijuana and walking back promptly. Do the people you are watching become a hoot when you have to actually encounter them regularly?

Old 10-30-2023, 01:47 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Wife and I primarily grew up in PG county MD (inside the beltway). Met in high school.

However I did live on my mothers families farm in rural Ohio for a few years as a young kid- maybe 3rd and 4th grade and then again for 6 months as a teen.

Best time I ever had. Still miss the place. We got married at 23 and moved to rural MD outside of Hagerstown MD, kept moving west. Bought our first house in Kearneysville WV, then Inwood WV, then Clarksburg WV and now- Helena Montana.

Old 11-01-2023, 01:18 PM
Status: "Hello Darlin, Nice to see you - Conway Twitty" (set 4 days ago)

792 posts, read 372,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Wife and I primarily grew up in PG county MD (inside the beltway). Met in high school.

However I did live on my mothers families farm in rural Ohio for a few years as a young kid- maybe 3rd and 4th grade and then again for 6 months as a teen.

Best time I ever had. Still miss the place. We got married at 23 and moved to rural MD outside of Hagerstown MD, kept moving west. Bought our first house in Kearneysville WV, then Inwood WV, then Clarksburg WV and now- Helena Montana.
Looks like paradise to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living