Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2023, 07:42 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,056,566 times

Advertisements

At the beginning of 4th grade, we moved from Alliance, Ohio (population 28,000) to Hartville, Ohio (population 1,400). It worked out well for us. This would have been in 1965. I have lived in Wayne County, Ohio since 1982, outside of Wooster, Ohio (population 27,000). When I moved to my home in 1988, there were cows across the street. Now there's a subdivision. More traffic, but fewer insects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2023, 11:00 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Or “the country” if you live out on a farm or not properly in a town.

I would like to leave the big city from a small town at some point but I’m still pretty young.

Edit: my title got chopped but the question is:

If you didn’t grow up in a rural area or small town, how old were you when you moved to one?
My family moved "back home" to rural TN (pop. 2,500) from Dayton, OH when I was 14. My parents were both raised in this little town as were both sets of grandparents so it wasn't a culture shock as we visited every summer and many holidays since I was born. It was a bit of an adjustment moving as a teenager through. But I wouldn't change a thing. Actually, I always wanted to move here as a child.

Old 10-06-2023, 01:53 PM

8,069 posts, read 12,784,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Or “the country” if you live out on a farm or not properly in a town.

I would like to leave the big city from a small town at some point but I’m still pretty young.

Edit: my title got chopped but the question is:

If you didn’t grow up in a rural area or small town, how old were you when you moved to one?
I grew up in a suburb and stayed in some urban areas (D.C. area) then moved to a larger town south of Nashville. I finally moved to a rural property when I was 40 years old. I am 60 now and still feel healthy so I am considering a move to a more rural area. Now that Starlink internet is available almost everywhere in the U.S. I would still be able to have an income and live a nice relaxed life.

Old 10-07-2023, 12:22 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,154,072 times
I moved to a legit small rural town in my 20s.

All this taught me was that small town police are usually lazy as heck, and small town life is dull.

Your Mileage May Vary when it comes to small town America, I guess......

Old 10-08-2023, 04:39 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,013,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
I moved to a legit small rural town in my 20s.

All this taught me was that small town police are usually lazy as heck, and small town life is dull.
The police sure get excited when anything out of the ordinary happens...they ALL show up. All five of them.

I spent most of my life in major metros. Around age 40 I couldn't take the congestion and traffic anymore, spending so much time just waiting was driving me mad. I now live in a rural county with around 50K population spread around several small towns and unincorporated properties. Biggest town is 10K population.

Old 10-13-2023, 06:03 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,849 times
I'm not saying I live in a real rural location, but Google Maps doesn't update our area; it's like looking back in time.

Old 10-13-2023, 06:28 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
At the beginning of 4th grade, we moved from Alliance, Ohio (population 28,000) to Hartville, Ohio (population 1,400). It worked out well for us. This would have been in 1965. I have lived in Wayne County, Ohio since 1982, outside of Wooster, Ohio (population 27,000). When I moved to my home in 1988, there were cows across the street. Now there's a subdivision. More traffic, but fewer insects.
I grew up in a city in MA, but raised my family in Stow, OH. In 1992, we moved just up the road from you, in Westfield Twp. (Seville). The holiday parades included kids with goat carts. I went to Wooster often, and the Amish horse drawn buggies were tied up outside the stores. I miss that now.

Old 10-13-2023, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I grew up in a city in MA, but raised my family in Stow, OH. In 1992, we moved just up the road from you, in Westfield Twp. (Seville). The holiday parades included kids with goat carts. I went to Wooster often, and the Amish horse drawn buggies were tied up outside the stores. I miss that now.
The Amish are still here in Wooster, unlike Hartville. One day this year, there was an Amish man (on foot) in line behind my car at the bank drive-thru (The drive-thru opens a half hour before the lobby). When we moved to Hartville, every time an Amish buggy came past our house, the family dog would jump up and look out the window.

Old 10-13-2023, 10:50 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
The Amish are still here in Wooster, unlike Hartville. One day this year, there was an Amish man (on foot) in line behind my car at the bank drive-thru (The drive-thru opens a half hour before the lobby). When we moved to Hartville, every time an Amish buggy came past our house, the family dog would jump up and look out the window.
My friend lives in Hartville on Edison. Her house was built from an old barn…not something you see in the city either.

Old 10-14-2023, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My friend lives in Hartville on Edison. Her house was built from an old barn…not something you see in the city either.
It's a small world (after all). I think I knew who that was, at one time. I don't remember now, however. We lived on Sunnyside for a couple of years. It was a small lot, without a garage. We moved out of town to a larger home, on a larger lot with a 2 car garage. There's all this talk about 15 minute cities. Hartville was a 15 minute village. As a child, everything was within walking distance. Lake School District was Single A when we moved there (smallest 1/3 of school districts in Ohio). About the time we left, it had become triple A (largest 1/3 of school districts). All of the farms became subdivisions. I don't visit due to the traffic. Looking forward to my 50 year high school reunion next year, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living