Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 09:03 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times

Advertisements

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/catalog/coops-pens

We bought a shed like what you're talking about about 15 years ago. Can't remember what we paid. Like my dad has said, I've slept since then. lol But they delivered it, set it up, leveled it, and made sure we were satisfied before they left.
But I saw these on the Tractor Supply web site and didn't know if this would be something you'd be looking for. I know not as good as a wooden building, but, considering the expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2023, 05:44 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Default Buy a display model

Big box stores turnover their sheds and you might be able to pick up a display model for far less. They don’t give them away but they do significantly discount. Then a flatbed tow truck can deliver a “pre made” shed.

The sheds are often outsourced to a “sub company” and they could be the ones actually selling or wanting to replace the display model. The downside is one of the doors may have been bolted open for years and weathered.

Another angle is to shop the list that Craig keeps. Many homeowners are looking to switch out sheds or want an older shed gone. Some might also be getting out of the chicken business. Of course some are in poor condition but again, deals can be found. It makes little sense to have a brand new shed for chickens because once chickens move in, the shed will only be a useable as a coop.

Old 08-13-2023, 09:44 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
putting in a chicken coop
I've built and used many chicken coops.. by far the most efficient and useful and inexpensive...=

1) Discarded / damaged wooden Fruit bin (pallet sized / plywood sides). The kind orchards use to collect and transport fruit
2) Elevate 20"-24" on steel posts (~3" Dia Pipe)
3) add a ramp and cut a hinged door (with a pin / swivel lock) for the birds to access (Lock them in at night and keep raccoons, fox, and opossums out.
4) Add an inclined (shed) hinged roof (Lightweight if possible) You can clean from outside pen, by hinging top up.
5) Build enclosure (fence) along the front of your coop, (include a fenced top and have pen tall enough to walk under (for feeding)). Fence in the elevated portion under coop (for birds to be sheltered while outdoors)
6) Build nesting boxes along rear edge of coop (inside)
7) Cut hinged access doors in rear to reach nesting boxes from outside the pen (~8" high and 16" wide)

Each of these coops can accommodate ~12 chickens.

Cost ~ free to $100 (for roof / hardware / used fruit wooden bin)

https://www.thespruce.com/free-chick...-plans-1357113
https://livesimply.me/building-coop-scratch/

Old 08-13-2023, 09:56 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Our chicken coops are made from used pallets [free], I wrap them with chicken wire, and install chicken wire as a floor [to prevent foxes from digging tunnels underneath and coming up inside a coop], then 3/4 " pvc pipes 10' long bent into arches from side to side and with chicken wire covering them. Just remember that when spreading chicken wire, each piece must be woven into its neighboring pieces [to keep the fishercats from finding a hole to get inside].

Here in Maine, we only see -20F temps, and these pallet coops provide good ventilation. A little snow may settle inside, the birds usually peck them up and it does not bother them.

Old 08-17-2023, 05:20 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I live in Central Maine. About 90-minutes North of me is an Amish community [ Smyrna Maine ] with a General store, a wooden furniture maker and a shed maker.

About 90-minutes South of me is another Amish community [ Unity Maine ]. Again with a General store, a Charcuterie guy, veggie greenhouses, and a shed maker.

Sheds they make go from 12'X10' tool sheds up to one-bedroom 'tiny homes' pre-wired and plumbed, with a front porch and a porch swing.

Whoo boy, they are expensive.
Amish anything and people go nutso buying it. At least it was that way in WV.

There's a running joke back in WV-

A guys cat had kittens. He sets up a sign on the road that said 'FREE KITTENS'. No one responded. A few weeks later he replaced the sign and the new one said 'AMISH KITTENS- $50.00 ea'.

He sold out in a few hours.

Old 09-05-2023, 02:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
There was recently some discussion on building Chicken Coops here
https://www.city-data.com/forum/65684986-post13.html

Build your enclosure to suit your predator type..

Opossums were our frequent distress. (Killing chickens)

Electric fence was helpful to deter most predators (Plus we covered the top with wire due to airborne predators.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living