Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2007, 05:18 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,404,425 times

Advertisements

When all your directions begian at "The light" hehe. Which ours do. And ive left my jacket and hat in different restaurants to go back months later to find em on the wall lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 05:36 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,507 times
True here, too:

When you walk into the "town" (one street, one store, one church) and tell the shop keeper that you are "Helen's granddaughter," and they give you whatever you want (guess they just wrote it down...)

When a dog is loose and you know its name and to whom it belongs and take it back.

When your post office lady comes running out to ask if you took photos at the local school event and could she have some?

When your neighbors down the street bring people over to look at your flowers because they know they're in bloom.

When everyone in town knows about the little old lady who buries beer bottles in her yard to "keep it from her husband...."

When you wave to everyone you meet driving down your one lane road that is actually two lanes.

The IRS sends your check to your Post Office box because you're really on a rural route.

Everyone knows your name and what you do and who your kids are -- can't get away with anything!

Old 07-18-2007, 06:04 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,072 times
Default True Story

Well I was buying an iced tea yesterday and an old gent needed some whipped cream and the only can was for ice cream for the store that the kids like and the nice lady behind the counter said well I can sell you this can and he said how much - well she shook it and said 75 cents. He had no problem with that and was happy....

Old 07-18-2007, 06:33 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,932,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
I second above.

Plus...
You know it's a small town when the guy you went to prom with ends up dating your cousin, married to and had a baby with you brothers ex-girlfriend whom also has an affair with same cousins brother.
Is Jerry Springer the Mayor of this town? http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/canibeyou/eh.gif (broken link)

Old 07-18-2007, 10:11 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,872,345 times
Default You know you’re in a small town when:

The town center is a cul-de-sac.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:23 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
........when you come home and you find extra produce/baked goods, etc. on your kitchen counter because your neighbor had extra.
LOL- Usually the only time we lock our cars is during "zucchini" season- for fear that we will wake up and yet another kind person will have placed a few MORE bags of zucchini in the backseat.. Sometimes in the fridge, too! Beware the Zucchini Overload!

I take great pride in telling people that I live an hour from the nearest WalMart, McDonalds, or traffic light.. (2 hours from a Target, SuperWalMart, or shopping mall) That's a small town!

Old 07-19-2007, 06:20 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
you know you're in a small town when,,,,,,,,,,, you see someone (of course you know) heading out of town, and think to yourself, where could they be going??

on your way home, you notice an "out of state" license plate in your neighbors driveway, and the topic of conversation at dinner table with your family, you debate "who" the heck that can be??

you see a pregnant woman in a grocerystore,,then ask the cashier is her husband the real father??

when you go to church on sunday, you know thiers someone new sitting behind you,,just because of the perfume

you know exactly who, and when someone in town, bought a "luxury" item,,,such as a rotisserrie, or new boat/car/ tractor, and everyone in town, knows exactly how much it costs.

when you have an "open-house" (to sell your house) and all the neighbors, and most of the town, come thru,,just looking to see... how extravagant you really live,,,or if you have that elvis oil painting hanging on the wall,,,a christmas gift..

Old 07-19-2007, 07:55 AM

18,116 posts, read 11,750,994 times
You know you live in a small town when you go to walmart with your kid and every other person stops to say "Hello George's Mom" and George is busy with all his classmates while I'm shopping. :-)

Old 07-19-2007, 10:26 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,507 times
And I forgot one (and many more, I'm sure), but you're in a small town when you have to dodge the deer to get up your road and into your driveway!
This is a sight I often see -- I just happened to have my camera nearby! That's my neighbor's house across the street when the buck was going toward his other building. Yep, we live in the woods!

Old 07-19-2007, 10:42 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,945 times
Smile True story....

You know you live in a small town...when your parents have 3 cherry trees, harvesting them, and being then send by your parents on the bicycle tour all over town, dropping them off to people.....lol.
Boy, and if you were behind in the season, the people would come to your house, asking if there are any cherries this year
(I guess people were using them to make Cherry Schnaps.....so, no wonder there was such an urgency....LOL)
Boy, am I glad I don't have to do THAT anymore...huh.

Last edited by MB2; 07-19-2007 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living