Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 08:22 AM

5,679 posts, read 4,081,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I spent 30 years of my life (8-38; 1960-1990) in East Irondequoit, which was outlined in the attached article, and I never thought the student population was "economically disadvantaged". If they are, then WTH are the city students classified as??
It sounds like you grew up in a time when Monroe county was much more conservative. The government wasn't interested in being part of your everyday life, as they are today. Think about it. As Ctk says, you can have 185% of the average income, and STILL be disadvantaged. Why?? Why are they more interested in giving other peoples money than creating an atmosphere of welcoming businesses, and jobs and dignity for the citizens. Not creating entitled "victims"

BTW, this isn't political, just facts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2024, 10:20 AM

6,414 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
It sounds like you grew up in a time when Monroe county was much more conservative. The government wasn't interested in being part of your everyday life, as they are today. Think about it. As Ctk says, you can have 185% of the average income, and STILL be disadvantaged. Why?? Why are they more interested in giving other peoples money than creating an atmosphere of welcoming businesses, and jobs and dignity for the citizens. Not creating entitled "victims"

BTW, this isn't political, just facts
I don't necessarily know if I "grew up, rather then simply "got older"......

On a serious note, I agree with you, 100%. There needs to be more emphasis placed on job creation.....like the 300 jobs that COULD HAVE been created, had the Government approved the Federal loan to Kodak, two years ago, that would have helped finance the conversion/modification of their production areas within the Kodak Park campus. This would have A) added jobs, as mentioned, and B) allowed the US to reduce it's dependency on China, for necessary chemical stocks, for the prescription drug industry.

This was a big "FU" to the Trump administration, and the American people, courtesy of the Democrats.....party over country!!

Old 02-14-2024, 11:22 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
That is part of the I-Square development. I'm sure it will be developed eventually, but I know that the town is hasseling the owners/ developers, so it may be at a stand still.
This looks the only portion that has been done thus far: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2096...8192?entry=ttu

I found this website: https://i-square.us/ and this segment from September of last year: https://www.rochesterfirst.com/irond...uoit-for-sale/ , but I'm wondering what the plans for the development were to look like. This is the closest I could find: https://www.rochestersubway.com/topi...equoit-square/

Old 02-14-2024, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I don't necessarily know if I "grew up, rather then simply "got older"......

On a serious note, I agree with you, 100%. There needs to be more emphasis placed on job creation.....like the 300 jobs that COULD HAVE been created, had the Government approved the Federal loan to Kodak, two years ago, that would have helped finance the conversion/modification of their production areas within the Kodak Park campus. This would have A) added jobs, as mentioned, and B) allowed the US to reduce it's dependency on China, for necessary chemical stocks, for the prescription drug industry.

This was a big "FU" to the Trump administration, and the American people, courtesy of the Democrats.....party over country!!
Yeah, pretty sad. It's not about us anymore. It's about themselves and keeping their job. That could have been a big deal. I don't know if it maters anymore that they once were in pharmaceuticals.

Old 02-14-2024, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Yeah, pretty sad. It's not about us anymore. It's about themselves and keeping their job. That could have been a big deal. I don't know if it maters anymore that they once were in pharmaceuticals.
Kodak was sort of big in pharmaceuticals, a long time ago, but they weren't "in house" deals, as Kodak got into the game when they purchased the Sterling Drug business. At the time, Kodak was going "full tilt", with profits in the billions. The supposed "financial experts" told the EK honchos that the company was ripe for a "hostile take over", so they should siphon off some of the company's cash. So, they bought Sterling.

Shortly thereafter, Sterling's finances took somewhat of a downturn, and then the "experts" skewered the EK execs, because Sterling was losing money. Everybody thought THAT was the object of the game!! So, a while later, EK sold it off.....

The deal I'm referring to, was a plan cooked up by EK's present CEO, who wanted to reinvigorate some of the company's unused production capacity, and begin making chemical "base stocks". Trump was in the pipeline for it, as it dragged through the "swamp", and when they realized the deal would look like a win for Trump, they killed it..............

Old 02-14-2024, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Kodak was sort of big in pharmaceuticals, a long time ago, but they weren't "in house" deals, as Kodak got into the game when they purchased the Sterling Drug business. At the time, Kodak was going "full tilt", with profits in the billions. The supposed "financial experts" told the EK honchos that the company was ripe for a "hostile take over", so they should siphon off some of the company's cash. So, they bought Sterling.

Shortly thereafter, Sterling's finances took somewhat of a downturn, and then the "experts" skewered the EK execs, because Sterling was losing money. Everybody thought THAT was the object of the game!! So, a while later, EK sold it off.....

The deal I'm referring to, was a plan cooked up by EK's present CEO, who wanted to reinvigorate some of the company's unused production capacity, and begin making chemical "base stocks". Trump was in the pipeline for it, as it dragged through the "swamp", and when they realized the deal would look like a win for Trump, they killed it..............
My bad. I was thinking of the Eastman Chemical division spin off
, which I believe still lives on in the Carolinas?

Old 02-14-2024, 07:55 PM

118 posts, read 48,409 times
Quote:

Kodak was responsible for the chem/pharm base stocks deal gone bad. Gross internal misconduct was signaled and investigated when it was discovered that large stock option grants were issued to some of its execs ahead of the announcement. Yes, it could have been a nice small jobs boost for the region. However, greed and entitlement of a few was apparently too much to sacrifice for the greater good of many.

Old 02-14-2024, 08:23 PM

118 posts, read 48,409 times
Quote:
That is part of the I-Square development. I'm sure it will be developed eventually, but I know that the town is hasseling the owners/ developers, so it may be at a stand still.
Although I know longer reside I the area, I try to keep up with local development and totally forgot about this cool project. Sad to hear (but not surprising) it has not been allowed to further develop as planned. IIRC, at full development it could potentially transform the town center area into something akin to a more walkable 12 corners type area, and be a huge game changer for the town.

Old 02-15-2024, 08:06 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,176 times
Quote:
My bad. I was thinking of the Eastman Chemical division spin off
, which I believe still lives on in the Carolinas?
Kingsport, TN. I was there in early November. They're thriving. Might have a plant in Orangeburg, SC, don't remember off-hand.

Old 02-16-2024, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybestself View Post
Kodak was responsible for the chem/pharm base stocks deal gone bad. Gross internal misconduct was signaled and investigated when it was discovered that large stock option grants were issued to some of its execs ahead of the announcement. Yes, it could have been a nice small jobs boost for the region. However, greed and entitlement of a few was apparently too much to sacrifice for the greater good of many.
I agree that the "insider trading" part of the deal was involved, and yes, I had forgotten about it. However, I still strongly believe that the "anti-Trump" forces were so strongly against the deal that they took advantage of ANY mud that they could sling at it.

Let's give this some perspective....put aside, for a moment, the 300 potential jobs that could have been created by this business move, as that's really a small number of jobs, when you look at the "big picture". But walking away from the opportunity to wean the US pharmaceutical industry off of Chinese ingredients was a FAR GREATER opportunity by this business deal, yet the "swamp" was willing to take that route, just because it might have looked good for the Trump organization, was an insult to the country.

The fact that a handful of executives might have made some quick money would have been far overshadowed by the good that could have been derived for the country, had this deal gone through. And not that I'm suspicious, or anything, but this action also solidifies in my mind, that the "liberal Dems" are truly "owned" by the CCP., therefore they were influenced to kill this deal....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area