Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 11:18 AM

5,686 posts, read 4,084,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
More houses Equal more kids (especially dense housing). More Kids Equal more schools. More school equal higher taxes.

You can't build a city into a prosperity city with just housing, you need commercial and industrial projects. They have far less infrastructure overhead for the local government than a housing development.
There would be more taxpayers as well as kids.

If you keep up with these posts, you would know that I fight constantly with another of how creating business is better than housing. In this instance, Seabreeze lacks a critical mass which could support many new businesses, such as restaurants and retail shops. I could envision this being a nice little walkable community. Could draw tourists, with the oldest miniature golf course, and the Made in NY store, if it's still there, along with the amusement park and others. Maybe a hotel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2024, 11:59 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post

If you keep up with these posts, you would know that I fight constantly with another of how creating business is better than housing. In this instance, Seabreeze lacks a critical mass which could support many new businesses, such as restaurants and retail shops. I could envision this being a nice little walkable community. Could draw tourists, with the oldest miniature golf course, and the Made in NY store, if it's still there, along with the amusement park and others. Maybe a hotel.
That's not the "fight". It is a matter of an interpretation of the housing created and those that would live in it.

To stay on topic, it looks like the best bet for that area may be infill of some of the land that may be available.

Also, speaking of another part of Irondequoit, but could a portion of Ridge Road and Hudson Avenue go on a "road diet" to allow for bikes/better pedestrian viability?

Old 02-07-2024, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That's not the "fight". It is a matter of an interpretation of the housing created and those that would live in it.

To stay on topic, it looks like the best bet for that area may be infill of some of the land that may be available.

Also, speaking of another part of Irondequoit, but could a portion of Ridge Road and Hudson Avenue go on a "road diet" to allow for bikes/better pedestrian viability?
They already did that to Hudson, north of Ridge. I don't think there's any room to narrow E. Ridge rd. In fact, I'd like to see it rebuilt like W. Ridge rd, only 2 lanes, not 3.

There is a bike trail through the city farther east on an old rail bed.

Old 02-07-2024, 01:15 PM

Quote:

They already did that to Hudson, north of Ridge. I don't think there's any room to narrow E. Ridge rd. In fact, I'd like to see it rebuilt like W. Ridge rd, only 2 lanes, not 3.

There is a bike trail through the city farther east on an old rail bed called the El Camino Trail.

Old 02-13-2024, 06:45 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,780,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post

Irondequoit school district spends between $18,400 to $20,545 per student per year. So assume school taxes are 3k a year per house, that's 6.6 taxpayer houses for each new student. My position is unchanged, a housing development intended for first-time buyers will have a negative effect for the city overall. Even strictly senior communities will not solve this, I know of more than one family stuck raising there children's kids cause Mommy is a drug addict and the parents had to take over raising her kids.

Old 02-13-2024, 10:29 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Irondequoit school district spends between $18,400 to $20,545 per student per year. So assume school taxes are 3k a year per house, that's 6.6 taxpayer houses for each new student. My position is unchanged, a housing development intended for first-time buyers will have a negative effect for the city overall. Even strictly senior communities will not solve this, I know of more than one family stuck raising there children's kids cause Mommy is a drug addict and the parents had to take over raising her kids.
Rochester has one of the lowest live-birth rates in the country. A problem which will only get worse.

Breakdown of E. Irondequoit SD finances:

https://data.nysed.gov/expenditures....d=800000034083

Old 02-14-2024, 06:08 AM

6,416 posts, read 3,131,876 times
I spent 30 years of my life (8-38; 1960-1990) in East Irondequoit, which was outlined in the attached article, and I never thought the student population was "economically disadvantaged". If they are, then WTH are the city students classified as??

Old 02-14-2024, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I spent 30 years of my life (8-38; 1960-1990) in East Irondequoit, which was outlined in the attached article, and I never thought the student population was "economically disadvantaged". If they are, then WTH are the city students classified as??
Keep in mind that the threshold for "Economically disadvantaged" is pretty high, as "A student is economically disadvantaged if he or she is a member of a household where the total annual income of such household is equal to or less than 185 percent of the amount under the annual United States Department of Health and Human Services poverty guidelines for the applicant's family size for the applicable year."

Source, with more information: https://www.law.cornell.edu/regulati...ze%20for%20the

From the NYSED website: "Economically disadvantaged students are those who participate in, or whose family participates in, economic assistance programs, such as the free or reduced-price lunch programs, Social Security Insurance (SSI), Food Stamps, Foster Care, Refugee Assistance (cash or medical assistance), Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP), Safety Net Assistance (SNA), Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA), or Family Assistance: Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF). If one student in a family is identified as low income, all students from that household (economic unit) may be identified as low income."

Source: https://data.nysed.gov/glossary.php?...it%20(EITC)%2C

So, a simple little thing like having a student that is in Foster Care in your home can put a household in that category, even if they are relatively middle class and up.

Old 02-14-2024, 07:11 AM

To bring it back to Irondequoit, it looks like the area around Hudson & Titus has some potential for infill to help increase walkability/vibrancy like at this lot here, which could be a possible spot for a mixed use building: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2106...8192?entry=ttu

Old 02-14-2024, 08:10 AM

Quote:
To bring it back to Irondequoit, it looks like the area around Hudson & Titus has some potential for infill to help increase walkability/vibrancy like at this lot here, which could be a possible spot for a mixed use building: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2106...8192?entry=ttu
That is part of the I-Square development. I'm sure it will be developed eventually, but I know that the town is hasseling the owners/ developers, so it may be at a stand still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area