Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 09:52 AM

7,225 posts, read 4,615,545 times

Advertisements

Dave, in Nevada I pay 50/day for a sitter to move in and an additional 10/day for each pet thereafter. I would never use rover as there’s been way too many bad experiences noted online some resulting in the loss of the pet. When I let someone live in my home and take care of my babies I need to be 100% certain excellent care will be provided. I also leave that person a CC to take my dogs to the vet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2024, 10:51 AM

20,803 posts, read 8,636,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
When I retired, I stumbled onto a tremendous need for transportation.

People that don't drive, still need to go shopping, the doctor, run errands, banking.

Yes, these are mostly older folks, but the need remains strong.

Today, I'm taking an octogenarian to CVS for sundries & pharmacy, for instance.

Also, take people to the airport, then return them on the way home.

Check with your local senior center for people in need.

Uber

Old 05-10-2024, 11:12 AM

I would be afraid of giving people I don’t know rides as they might sue if you are in an accident. Too much liability for me.

Old 05-10-2024, 02:27 PM

88,733 posts, read 85,100,154 times
My friend's daughter works only from home. She's some sort of dispatcher for an insurance company--sends out the adjusters to look at vehicles after accidents. Don't know how she got the job, but it exists.

Old 05-10-2024, 07:45 PM

5,463 posts, read 4,081,096 times
I may have mentioned it before, but as a volunteer driver for Medicaid rides, the compensation ($.67 per mile) is very generous. Costs me about 15 cents a mile for gas. I drive a couple of days a week, with a few last minute fill-in rides (I live close to the hospital and get discharged patients). About $11,000 was deposited into my bank the first year, all tax-free as it is not considered income. If I had a car that got better gas mileage, I would be doing even better.

Also, in my state, insurance companies can not discriminate against you (raise rates, deny claims) for volunteer driving.

Old 05-10-2024, 10:04 PM

10,625 posts, read 12,172,808 times
I'm (almost) speechless at the number of people who won't let someone in their car because they might get into an accident and be sued...which granted IS a possibility....but they'll let people in their HOME.

Bonded or not bonded, vetted by the middle man employer or not -- Video or no video -- no one is in my home if I'm not there.

Old 05-10-2024, 10:42 PM

2,146 posts, read 1,072,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Uber
I would think a lot of seniors might be "Uber challenged", or struggle with learning how to use it since it's all Smartphone based. I imagine a fair number of elders don't even use Smartphone apps and aren't interested in learning.

Uber is also not available everywhere. I live in a rural small town with a high percentage of senior citizens, and there is no Uber here. Only a local "taxi" service that consists of two minivans that I see around town sometimes, and I'm guessing they mostly shuttle older folks around.

Old Yesterday, 07:07 AM

16,353 posts, read 10,473,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
When I retired, I stumbled onto a tremendous need for transportation.

People that don't drive, still need to go shopping, the doctor, run errands, banking.

Yes, these are mostly older folks, but the need remains strong.

Today, I'm taking an octogenarian to CVS for sundries & pharmacy, for instance.

Also, take people to the airport, then return them on the way home.

Check with your local senior center for people in need.
You need to be careful. If you are accepting rides for payment you need commercial insurance. I was a ride share driver after I retired and learned a lot about this, the drivers who took off platform cash rides were taking huge risks. If someone is hurt in an accident, or even if they are not but claim they were, they could even by accident let it out that they paid for this ride and then you have no coverage and face potential financial disaster.

The odds are very long but it's just not worth the risk IMO.

Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I'm (almost) speechless at the number of people who won't let someone in their car because they might get into an accident and be sued...which granted IS a possibility....but they'll let people in their HOME.

Bonded or not bonded, vetted by the middle man employer or not -- Video or no video -- no one is in my home if I'm not there.
My dog sitters are personal friends. I would never use a service like Rover to watch my dogs or be in my home. Too many horror stories about things that happened. I give friends rides all the time but not strangers.

Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM

10,374 posts, read 6,928,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post

As far as transporting elders as mentioned above, this was discussed in another thread somewhere. While on paper it sounds like a much needed and good idea (and it is) the reality is there's an issue of liability and problems one might face if something goes wrong, like if you get into a car crash or a senior has a medical incident while in your care. I don't think a senior center is just going to hand off elders to a stranger with a car to go run errands around town.
I hear you.

Let me see if I can quell your concerns a bit.

Having insurance for passengers (along with a passenger endorsement from the State) helps with liabilities. NOT like Uber type drivers, that have nothing.

As far as a senior having a "medical," our policy is to start CPR (if warranted) and call 911 with details.

(I've had to perform CPR twice and both times successful) We re-cert our CPR/AED training every 90 days. We have found that this quarterly training helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement