Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 08:11 AM

6,635 posts, read 7,372,489 times

Advertisements

Survey work can be done from your home if you have a phone and the internet.
I am talking opinion surveys and not selling products.
Do a search for opinion survey firms and start emailing and as if they have a work from home program. I think this is getting more common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2024, 12:21 PM

20,803 posts, read 8,636,551 times
Thanks for some great ideas!

I volunteered in the 2016 presidential campaign doing internal polling for one of the major candidates. I logged into a program which autodialed registered voters. I really enjoyed talking to a lot of people from all over the country.

That's when I learned two important lessons:

1. The only polls that matter are internal polls because those are the ones that big donors use to decide who gets their money.

2. Mainstream media lies -- they were WAY WAY OFF in predicting who was going to win. No legit polls would be that wrong.

Old 05-09-2024, 03:46 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,497,114 times
Remember back when stuffing envelopes was the thing? I wonder if there's anything like that now?

Old 05-09-2024, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Remember back when stuffing envelopes was the thing? I wonder if there's anything like that now?
Yes, I remember that. Think of the paper cuts!
Mass marketing is all spam these days. A lot cheaper.

Old 05-09-2024, 09:00 PM

7,798 posts, read 6,420,545 times
After I retired, I worked a seasonal job where I worked full time in an office for 6 months and then I was free to go play for 6 months. We could then go visit our "kids" who were living at the opposite corner of the country. That was far better than working a few hours a day, every day.

Old 05-09-2024, 09:12 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,072,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Age old.... Editing and proofreading.
I'll second this. When I was writing a book I searched in vain for a local editor and couldn't find anyone. I turned to one of the freelance websites and found someone who marked her location fairly close by (being local was important to me due to the content of the book). Retired English teacher. I sent her a sample chapter as a trial (paid) and was impressed, so she was hired.

I recall paying something like $500-600 and she turned it around within two days.

Old 05-10-2024, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Age old.... Editing and proofreading.

Years ago I looked into doing that but the pay seemed to be barely minimum wage. Not many people worked from home then as do now. Had a quick search and there seem to be all sorts of companies with different levels of service and specialties. I'll look into it. Too bad I tossed out my AP Style Book but it's probably out of date now anyway.

Old 05-10-2024, 07:09 AM

16,345 posts, read 10,473,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I thought about pet sitting, I found it pays like $40 and I think that's lot of time, even if you are in a nice house and sleeping most of the time, for 40 bucks.

OP what are your interests and skills? There are always those surveys that pay, I tried a few and found it incredibly tedious and not for me.
I wish people would put their name to it when they send a message via a rep. The message read professional services charge $100 for overnight pet sitting. I went on Rover.com and hooked up with a pet sitter, the total cost to me was like $45/night and Rover obviously got some of that. So that left under $40 for the pet sitter. I tipped him $20 and obviously I could have just hired him and cut out Rover. But that's not the right thing to do, I found him via Rover so they should be compensated.

Sorry to get off track, just setting the record straight for what I paid in Maryland which is a high COL state and what the pet sitter receives.

Old 05-10-2024, 07:12 AM

10,370 posts, read 6,928,549 times
When I retired, I stumbled onto a tremendous need for transportation.

People that don't drive, still need to go shopping, the doctor, run errands, banking.

Yes, these are mostly older folks, but the need remains strong.

Today, I'm taking an octogenarian to CVS for sundries & pharmacy, for instance.

Also, take people to the airport, then return them on the way home.

Check with your local senior center for people in need.

Old 05-10-2024, 07:46 AM

2,141 posts, read 1,072,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Too bad I tossed out my AP Style Book but it's probably out of date now anyway.
Style Book? No longer needed! Going by the rampant misuse of punctuation and horrific grammar & spelling prevalent nowadays, just give written work a quick scan and call it good. And make sure the writing is peppered with abbreviations that have to be Googled for translations - keeps the reader on their toes.

Just jokin'...

As far as transporting elders as mentioned above, this was discussed in another thread somewhere. While on paper it sounds like a much needed and good idea (and it is) the reality is there's an issue of liability and problems one might face if something goes wrong, like if you get into a car crash or a senior has a medical incident while in your care. I don't think a senior center is just going to hand off elders to a stranger with a car to go run errands around town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement