Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 06:03 PM

352 posts, read 74,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I did a double take. "I, as your husband" means a relationship. "I, as your husband did" is a comparative.

I can't imagine that anesthesia wasn't used. You might want to find a different healthcare provider.
Thank you! I value the corrections that you can make, because that way I can improve my English.

A lot of things happen in Argentina that may seem unbelievable in the US. Anyway, I think that happened because of a misunderstanding; I was told that the anesthesia was not covered by my health service and that if I wanted it I would have to pay for it separately. I didn't quite understand it at the moment, and there wasn't time to make amends. Anyway,the doctor told me that it was better this way, as it would not take more than a few minutes. It was very annoying, but bearable to tell the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2024, 06:19 PM

23,640 posts, read 70,601,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Antonio View Post
Thank you! I value the corrections that you can make, because that way I can improve my English.

A lot of things happen in Argentina that may seem unbelievable in the US. Anyway, I think that happened because of a misunderstanding; I was told that the anesthesia was not covered by my health service and that if I wanted it I would have to pay for it separately. I didn't quite understand it at the moment, and there wasn't time to make amends. Anyway,the doctor told me that it was better this way, as it would not take more than a few minutes. It was very annoying, but bearable to tell the truth.
LOL! A lot of things happen in the U.S. that might be unbelieveable in Argentina.
(And English is weird compared to the romance languages, no big deal.)

Do yourself a favor and buy the anesthesia next time.

Old 04-26-2024, 01:16 PM

6,315 posts, read 4,224,225 times
This is life. I pity you as you age if you can’t cope with medical examinations. As for exams required for jobs/ recertification etc, of course.

Old 04-27-2024, 10:13 AM

15,016 posts, read 12,225,175 times
Quote:
I did a double take. "I, as your husband" means a relationship. "I, as your husband did" is a comparative.

I can't imagine that anesthesia wasn't used. You might want to find a different healthcare provider.

As a side comment, comparisons between the pain males and females have to go through is not helpful, off-topic, and painful in itself. Most of us get to feel pain in our lifetimes. Some of it is worse than others. No badges of honor are handed out for having experienced the most pain.

Oh yeah, I forgot. If you are offered a "virtual" colonoscopy - pass on it. Turning your colon into a party balloon and putting a cork in it for portraits is more painful than Mr. Snake, and if polyps are found, Mr. Snake has to visit anyway.
Agreed. I always figure comparing pain under different circumstances is like comparing apples and oranges, and I think the perception of pain is very subjective. I've had occasions to experience a number of different kinds of pain, from broken bones to a kinked ureter ( from a dropped kidney after rapid weight loss, and trauma- pain is similar to a kidney stone trapped in the ureter), to childbirth, burns, gynecological procedures and I'd be hard pressed to say which was the worst, they each have their own brand of misery at the time they're happening. I'd also never compare my pain from a given cause to someone else's ( mine was worse, bigger, better, longer, or whatever than yours...) because there are multiple factors figuring into that pain and there's the old subjectivity thing as well.

Thanks for the tip on the virtual colonoscopy, I'd always figured you have to still do the prep like you do for the real deal, so if you figure that is the worst part of having your colon checked you haven't saved much. They don't sedate or put you out with the virtual colonoscopy ( do they?) so you get to experience the indignity of the whole thing as they blow up your colon and take those pictures. I hadn't thought much about the pain but yeah, having a belly full of gas like that is, in my humble opinion,better experienced being asleep. Then, as you say, they find anything suspicious, you gotta do the real deal anyway. Makes me wonder how insurance companies handle that?

Old 04-27-2024, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Agreed. I always figure comparing pain under different circumstances is like comparing apples and oranges, and I think the perception of pain is very subjective. I've had occasions to experience a number of different kinds of pain, from broken bones to a kinked ureter ( from a dropped kidney after rapid weight loss, and trauma- pain is similar to a kidney stone trapped in the ureter), to childbirth, burns, gynecological procedures and I'd be hard pressed to say which was the worst, they each have their own brand of misery at the time they're happening. I'd also never compare my pain from a given cause to someone else's ( mine was worse, bigger, better, longer, or whatever than yours...) because there are multiple factors figuring into that pain and there's the old subjectivity thing as well.

Thanks for the tip on the virtual colonoscopy, I'd always figured you have to still do the prep like you do for the real deal, so if you figure that is the worst part of having your colon checked you haven't saved much. They don't sedate or put you out with the virtual colonoscopy ( do they?) so you get to experience the indignity of the whole thing as they blow up your colon and take those pictures. I hadn't thought much about the pain but yeah, having a belly full of gas like that is, in my humble opinion,better experienced being asleep. Then, as you say, they find anything suspicious, you gotta do the real deal anyway. Makes me wonder how insurance companies handle that?
The virtuals can be a way of getting private (not insurance covered) screenings that includes a calcium score and heart check at the same time. It is a quick way for an outpatient clinic to make money to pay for the expensive equipment that they just bought. Nope, they don't put you out. IIRC, it was suggested I take a double dose of ibuprophen a half hour before. It was painful during the procedure, but what I didn't expect was that pain continuing for more than a half hour after. Live and learn. As I was self-employed, the double duty and relatively low price made sense at the time. Perhaps I would have tolerated it more easily if they had a whistle or harmonica on the valve that lets the gas out of your system, but most people don't appreciate such humor.

Old 04-27-2024, 08:32 PM

15,016 posts, read 12,225,175 times
Quote:
The virtuals can be a way of getting private (not insurance covered) screenings that includes a calcium score and heart check at the same time. It is a quick way for an outpatient clinic to make money to pay for the expensive equipment that they just bought. Nope, they don't put you out. IIRC, it was suggested I take a double dose of ibuprophen a half hour before. It was painful during the procedure, but what I didn't expect was that pain continuing for more than a half hour after. Live and learn. As I was self-employed, the double duty and relatively low price made sense at the time. Perhaps I would have tolerated it more easily if they had a whistle or harmonica on the valve that lets the gas out of your system, but most people don't appreciate such humor.
You mean a virtual colonoscopy is, or can be a part of one of those whole body screening things that are advertised on postcards, addressed to "Occupant", or "Our neighbors at........" and stuck in your mailbox? The "we'll be in your location on whatever dates and offer those screenings for $250 or something like that?

That afterwards pain might be due to gas trapped in the GI tract or wherever it goes, that can happen with a real colonoscopy, or an upper GI endoscopy as well, and if that happens it can last a couple days. I've had a number of both upper and lower endoscopies, and had pretty miserable shoulder pain that extended down the arm after just one of the upper endoscopies. Finally dawned on me where it came from, and it dissipated after about 3 days.

So did you get any useful information from those virtual screenings? I'm asking because my daughter, a nurse who at the time was working in a multiple doctor practice, mostly with primary care docs, told me that the results they saw from patients who had those screenings and brought the results in for their docs to see were so nonspecific or nondescriptive that the screenings were useless. Don't know if that's generally the case, though those public type screenings are intended to have any questionably positive results referred to the patient's healthcare provider, as the screening entities could not make a diagnosis.

Old 04-28-2024, 06:04 AM

2,343 posts, read 1,556,160 times
Well the exam many of us here dread is not medical. It is the test, both practical and theoretical, which is required to be taken to keep our Drivers Licence. In our state everyone must either take it at the age of 85 or opt, as many do, to have a restricted licence, where you can only travel about 5 miles from home.

But having found out only this week that our very close friend of forty years has been diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer, I find myself taking a different attitude to medical screening.

Actually what I most dislike is the dermatologist screening, needed by me as a red-head in the country with the world’s highest rate of skin cancer. I hate having stuff frozen off and cut off my face. Not embarrassing but certainly not pleasant.

Old 04-28-2024, 08:56 AM

352 posts, read 74,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
This is life. I pity you as you age if you can’t cope with medical examinations. As for exams required for jobs/ recertification etc, of course.
You have to take this as it was written: with humor and a bit of sarcasm. otherwise you don't understand it.

Old 04-28-2024, 11:47 AM

343 posts, read 196,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
OK, how many of you fine and honorable men or women have every suffered through a PhD candidacy exam? Without anesthesia (local or general)?
Meh, you should be grateful. That's so you're prepared for a life of indentured servitude at sub-mimimum wage levels all your postgrad years. Perhaps even your postdoc and assistant professor years, until you're tenured.

I swear, serfs these days are so ungrateful.

Last edited by DeepImpact; 04-28-2024 at 12:09 PM..

Old 04-28-2024, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
You mean a virtual colonoscopy is, or can be a part of one of those whole body screening things that are advertised on postcards, addressed to "Occupant", or "Our neighbors at........" and stuck in your mailbox? The "we'll be in your location on whatever dates and offer those screenings for $250 or something like that?

That afterwards pain might be due to gas trapped in the GI tract or wherever it goes, that can happen with a real colonoscopy, or an upper GI endoscopy as well, and if that happens it can last a couple days. I've had a number of both upper and lower endoscopies, and had pretty miserable shoulder pain that extended down the arm after just one of the upper endoscopies. Finally dawned on me where it came from, and it dissipated after about 3 days.

So did you get any useful information from those virtual screenings? I'm asking because my daughter, a nurse who at the time was working in a multiple doctor practice, mostly with primary care docs, told me that the results they saw from patients who had those screenings and brought the results in for their docs to see were so nonspecific or nondescriptive that the screenings were useless. Don't know if that's generally the case, though those public type screenings are intended to have any questionably positive results referred to the patient's healthcare provider, as the screening entities could not make a diagnosis.
I don't get those mailings, but I think this was advertised in one of those old things called a "newspaper." The cost was higher than $250, but it was a number of years ago. I got to see the images, they were given the standard review by a radiologist. The most useful info I got was that I had a zero calcium score, which shut up the statin pushers and whinging about my cholesterol numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement