Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 07:41 AM

11,502 posts, read 6,021,967 times

Advertisements

I think The OP's post is meant to be humor, but in case it is not.

Taking a test is not the same thing as undergoing an examination. In the first case you are taking an exam to test your mental knowledge. In the second case, you are being examined for specific physical attributes. You are not "taking an exam". The doctor is performing an examination.

"Young students" don't have to wait for that. Children already get medical exams and dental exams. Babies are medically examined for issues right out of the birth canal. That is a lifelong thing starting from day one.

So yes it is funny to say "exams never end", but on a serious note, health examinations start at birth and never end. A far different thing from taking a test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2024, 07:47 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,612,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
So yes it is funny to say "exams never end", but on a serious note, health examinations start at birth and never end. A far different thing from taking a test.
So I didn't have to study for my urine test?

Old 04-24-2024, 08:01 AM

24,595 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Antonio View Post
When I was a student, one of the things I hated the most was exams. They stressed me out, gave me panic attacks, and all kinds of calamities. So when I graduated, I was very happy. One of the things I appreciated the most was: exams never again.
How wrong I was. As a young man at the time, I had no idea that over the years the exams would come back. Only this time not as an oral or written exam, but in the form of endoscopy, colonoscopy, prostate exam... and all kinds of exams that not only stress me out and make me panic, but also violate my privacy and make me ashamed.
So, young students: know that you will never be able to get rid of exams. Only they will change shape, but they will always be present in your life. Or at least at the beginning and on the end of it.
Chill, tune out, count your blessings that you are still around to not hear your wife. That doctor and his/her staff see what they need to see and nothing is personal. Next!

Old 04-24-2024, 08:11 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,691,004 times
Reminds me of the old joke about the tough drill sergeant:

"Listen up, maggots! I'm going to make some of you maggots into soldiers! You'll work harder than you ever have in your life! When I'm done with you, you'll be soldiers! I'll make you want to pi$$ on my grave!"

"Sir, No Sir!"

"What do you mean, maggot?"

"Sir, when I get out of the Army, I'm never going to stand in another line again!"

Old 04-24-2024, 09:00 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,872,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Next time, go in and tell your doctor you were up all night cramming for the exam.
Don't you mean crapping?

Old 04-24-2024, 09:02 AM

78,436 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Don't you mean crapping?
I said what I said...

Old 04-24-2024, 09:05 AM

7,845 posts, read 3,836,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
?

We happen to have bodies. Things happen to those bodies. By the time of retirement age, the "shame" of having body parts inspected is commonly something left behind in childhood and early adulthood. We might not look forward to it, but to paraphrase - to a doctor, your "private" parts are just another day at the office.

I just had a colonoscopy. When I asked, the doc had seven of them lined up for the same day. To him, I likely was just another ........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Oh, please, how about annual pap smears, and annual pelvic exams? A prostate biopsy is a walk in the park...
Then there are mammograms... and childbirth.

And the other poster is correct... the doctors have seen hundreds of private parts and there is no need for shame.
People suck it up and get it done!

At least you don't have to study for your exams now....
A friend's father was an OB/GYN who said "I work where other men play."

Old 04-24-2024, 09:20 AM

11,136 posts, read 9,769,935 times
For those putting off colon cancer screening due to being freaked out by colonoscopy have another option beyond colonoscopy or the Cologuard route. Here's an article in today's news:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/oth...4499488&ei=715

It's a CT colonography*. From the article:

“The best test is the one that gets done,” Ebner tells Fortune. “What’s really scary is there’s about a third of individuals that are eligible to be screened for colorectal cancer [and] has not yet been screened.

“One of the advantages of having a lot of different options is it then gives the person an opportunity to say, ‘Hey, you know, this is what works best for me,’ especially with us moving the age down to 45.”

Winer echoes, “In my view, as an oncologist, anything is better than nothing—any of these tests. The worst thing I think somebody could do is not do any of them and just hope that they don’t get colon cancer.”

*not covered by Medicare

Old 04-24-2024, 09:29 AM

11,136 posts, read 9,769,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Oh, please, how about annual pap smears, and annual pelvic exams? A prostate biopsy is a walk in the park...
Then there are mammograms... and childbirth.

And the other poster is correct... the doctors have seen hundreds of private parts and there is no need for shame.
People suck it up and get it done!

At least you don't have to study for your exams now....
You don't know what in the heck you're talking about. A prostate exam (finger in the rectum) is not a biopsy. That is a routine screening exam. A biopsy is only performed when there is a sustained high PSA result indicating some likely stage of prostate cancer. Read here about it.

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostat...rostate-biopsy

Educate yourself please. You might pay extra attention to the potential side effects listed and ask yourself whether you've ever had these sort of side effects from a mammogram or a pelvic.

My DH has experienced this, as well as a radical prostatectomy, and it's not a "walk in the park", especially when you're scared to death that you have cancer.

Old 04-24-2024, 09:31 AM

22,597 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
You don't know what in the heck you're talking about. A prostate exam (finger in the rectum) is not a biopsy.

Educate yourself please.
I didn't say it was, if you bother to read.
I am quite educated on the subject, as my husband gave many a lecture on prostate issues. I am his proofreader

Women get pap smears, which also involve taking tissue from an area. And we all get that done annually. A few men getting one IS a walk in the park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement