Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 06:32 PM

552 posts, read 398,591 times

Advertisements

DH turned 70 at the end of February and on his 70th birthday applied for Social Security online. The first check came March 15th, 16 days later and the letter came a week later. I too like you OP was surprised how quickly everything went, given how slow so many things are. He want on Medicare Part A at 65 and is still on my insurance and won't do part B and D and a supplement till I retire too.

I noticed though that initially they didn't take taxes out of his Social Security, so I downloaded that form and we sent that in. We'll have to talk to our tax guy about estimates for state taxes with the extra social security coming in, and what he suggests.

Congratulations to you! I am 63 right now and am planning to retire at 65 (16 months away) just to have the opportunity to try some different things. I won't start taking SS though till my full retirement age at 67. I have already started a short list of activities I might like to try that I don't have time for now and volunteer work opportunities that I might want to try out too.

I have two people who I work with (one who is an IT analyst like me and one who is a programmer) who are both 73 and have continued working full time. The programmer too on top of working full time has also taken on a part time position to be his city's mayor. He was just elected to the position last week, held the position once before about 15 years ago too. I don't know if they are continuing for financial reasons or they just love their jobs and our company.

For me, it's been a good career, but even though I know it will be a transition I'd like to do some other things that are entirely different than what I've been doing. I feel like I owe that to myself, especially since finances are in order. Unless I would be laid off or something like that, though, I'm planning to stick with the job till I'm 65, and a big part of that I think is insurance.

For me though thinking and planning for retirement (did number crunching, etc.), and I only starting doing this at the beginning of the year (had lots of other people I am close too retiring) I think perhaps I started this a little too soon as seeing that I can comfortably retire I am feeling a little less engaged in my job and am looking too forward to retirement while previously it never crossed my mind. I'm trying to reverse that and stay more bright eyed and bushy tailed and enthused about my day to day work. But lol I now even have a month count down post it note.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2024, 08:03 PM

7,671 posts, read 3,301,256 times
My friend has a countdown and she is still 13 years out from retirement.

Old 04-07-2024, 10:52 AM

8,390 posts, read 4,413,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
There is a question on the SOCIAL SECURITY APPLICATION of what your expected employment income will be in 2024. That is confirmed at 2024's tax filing. Income earned in first year that you collect SS is treated differently than it is in subsequent years prior to FRA. I could calculate what my total employment earnings would be by June 30. For the remainder of 2024, my income will consist only of SS and pension. I shouldn't have to take any withdrawals from my portfolio in the foreseeable future. My situation is straight-forward and uncomplicated, no investment income or withdrawals involved until RMDs start 10 years away.

You're applying for Medicare only, so I don't know how that works. I requested Medicare to start in conjunction with SS payments beginning in July. I would suggest calling Medicare and getting more information for your needs. I dealt only with SSA during this application process.
Aha, employment income. Well, my situation is even less complicated, ie, my employment income will definiteltly be zero for the Medicare start in early 2025, and probably the same (unless something REALLY unusual happens :-) for soc security in 2030.

Old Today, 08:40 AM

3,153 posts, read 1,610,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
I will give my boss a 1-week notice specifically to avoid having to train anyone, and I definitely won't be coming back to do any training. For the last 3 years, I repeatedly warned him that this position should at least have a back-up of someone who could do the minimum if I had to be out for an extended period. He turned a deaf ear, but finally tried to assign a young new hire to be my backup (as an add-on to her main duties) and told me to train her. I informed him that it took me years of experience and several required trainings and certifications to learn how to do this very specialized type of job. You don't just pick it up in two weeks of your spare time. So that was a fail. I have NO sympathy for leaving them with no one to do it. They had years of me warning them, but chose to do nothing. Anyway, as we all know, no one is indispensable, and they'll deal with it in the typical government way - badly. I feel no loyalty towards them and am happy to jump ship with very little notice. It's not a revenge thing, its me finally doing what is best for my own well-being, not theirs.

No worries about the thread drift. I've enjoyed venting about the situation. Family/friends are (I'm sure) tired of hearing me whine about my job, so happy to do it here, one last time! I also used to look forward to being at my job, and also glad to get back to it after a long holiday. But for the last 4 years, i've worked from home and it's been very isolating. The people I used to enjoy have all either gone to a different Agency or retired, so there's been no one left that I liked hanging with.

I'm relatively young at 65, in good health, and looking forward to focusing on getting back to a healthy state of mind and a regular workout routine. Anything else is just gravy.
You have valuable knowledge and experience. Often times, employers don't value it when things are running smoothly. Just never say never. Take the time off and, if approached about training, consider it under terms that are favorable to you -- $$$$ and schedule. They had the chance to get off cheap before you left.

Old Today, 09:20 AM

5,594 posts, read 6,524,053 times
Yes. In my line of govt. work once one retired, they could be hired back as a consultant with a much higher pay rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement