Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 06:28 AM

357 posts, read 225,911 times

Advertisements

Hearty congratulations! I’ve been thinking of you and knew #65 was this month and with it, retirement.

You made it. I’m really happy for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2024, 08:47 AM

1,496 posts, read 801,878 times
Congrats! Enjoy!

Old 03-30-2024, 10:59 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,199,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
"Congratulations" on winning the tontine.
However, due to the demographics crisis, the number of taxpayers per recipient is below 2. When it drops to less that one taxpayer per recipient, things may get dicey.
Never too late to prepare, as they say.
I wouldn’t say that you’ve rained all over my parade. But it’s definitely starting to sprinkle up in here.

Old 03-30-2024, 01:55 PM

1,835 posts, read 816,298 times
Congratulations! I think I slept for a solid month but that's OK, I never have to take a "mental health day" again! And even though it's been a few years now, I'm still grateful to not have ro pull my body out of the holy trinity of work life again, e.g. pantyhose, watch, underwire bra. And I no longer tense up & think, "oh, ****" when I get a text.

Good for you, even a boring day is better than a work day.

Old 04-05-2024, 04:02 AM

11,277 posts, read 19,612,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Thanks, Igor! I'm trying to be realistic and know that retirement will have its own brand of stressors. I am going to have to change how I operate in the world because life as I've always known it, will never be the same. I think I dread boredom the most. But I am very willing to take on that challenge and find constructive new ways to fill my days. Or not! I'll adjust as I go along and as I see fit, not how someone else sees fit. But I know nothing, NOTHING can ever be as stressful as working has been over a lifetime. Mentally, I'd reached the end of my rope and simply can't deal with the insanity of working any longer. Frankly, I'm proud of myself for making it to 65 years, 3 months before pulling the plug; three years ago I didn't think I could make it. I don't rule out some piddly p.t. job in the future IF I feel inclined. And that's a VERY big IF!

I am so glad I stumbled onto this thread, I really needed the boost. I started counting down on my 61st birthday. Whoohoo I sang, only 4 more years!

As conditions have deteriorated at my work place I've become more and more desperate feeling, wondering how am I ever going to make it.Now it is "only 18 more months". It sounds like a brief time, after all this counting down, but I still feel desperate, and how will I ever get through it.

Your thread has helped A LOT.

I do not fear boredom. I'm never bored with my own company.

Old 04-05-2024, 06:43 AM

938 posts, read 425,728 times
Congratulations. Welcome to every day is Sunday. Sometimes we loose track of what day of the week it is. Makes for a good laugh sometimes. I get to pick the day of the week to mow, or when I feel like mowing. Shopping Tuesday through Thursday late mornings are nice. Grilling season is here now and I can smoke a pork butt any day I please. Fresh food items tend to go on sale in the middle of the week. Bargains can be had during those days. We now travel with our RV on two month or more trips. Love seeing the country we’ve been paying for 40 something years.

Old 04-05-2024, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I am so glad I stumbled onto this thread, I really needed the boost. I started counting down on my 61st birthday. Whoohoo I sang, only 4 more years!

As conditions have deteriorated at my work place I've become more and more desperate feeling, wondering how am I ever going to make it.Now it is "only 18 more months". It sounds like a brief time, after all this counting down, but I still feel desperate, and how will I ever get through it.

Your thread has helped A LOT.

I do not fear boredom. I'm never bored with my own company.
I'm glad my experience has given you renewed incentive to hang in there. I said in my post that I didn't know how I would make it another 3 years. Now, I don't know how I'll make it these last 3 MONTHS til the end of June! Ha! The brighter that light at the end of the tunnel gets, the harder it is to keep going. I got a nasty assignment at my job yesterday and I really, really want to leave right now, but SS/Medicare/pension are all set up to start in July. I regret that now.

These new kinds of assignments that used to be done by retired co-workers, are the reason I'm leaving now rather than stay another 1.5 years to FRA. Instead of the one boss I used to have, now I have several to answer to and a couple are pretty unpleasant to work with. Instead of replacing the two that retired, their duties were assigned to me because they assumed I would handle it. Yeah, having endured 2-3 years of this, I'm done. I let them know at every annual review that this was an untenable situation for me, but they did nothing because the work was getting done. But at a very high price for me. So no one can say they weren't warned.

Anyway, just know that you can get through this and there will be a payoff at the end. Otherwise, if you can afford it, leave sooner. Your mental health is important. Don't ignore the signs of distress because they will only get louder the more you try to stuff them. I'm way past burned out and will need a lot of time to recuperate to get back to a healthy place. So, a whole lot of people know exactly how you feel right now and came out the other side. You will too. Hang in there, girl!

Old 04-05-2024, 08:29 PM

938 posts, read 425,728 times
Quote:
I'm glad my experience has given you renewed incentive to hang in there. I said in my post that I didn't know how I would make it another 3 years. Now, I don't know how I'll make it these last 3 MONTHS til the end of June! Ha! The brighter that light at the end of the tunnel gets, the harder it is to keep going. I got a nasty assignment at my job yesterday and I really, really want to leave right now, but SS/Medicare/pension are all set up to start in July. I regret that now.

These new kinds of assignments that used to be done by retired co-workers, are the reason I'm leaving now rather than stay another 1.5 years to FRA. Instead of the one boss I used to have, now I have several to answer to and a couple are pretty unpleasant to work with. Instead of replacing the two that retired, their duties were assigned to me because they assumed I would handle it. Yeah, having endured 2-3 years of this, I'm done. I let them know at every annual review that this was an untenable situation for me, but they did nothing because the work was getting done. But at a very high price for me. So no one can say they weren't warned.

Anyway, just know that you can get through this and there will be a payoff at the end. Otherwise, if you can afford it, leave sooner. Your mental health is important. Don't ignore the signs of distress because they will only get louder the more you try to stuff them. I'm way past burned out and will need a lot of time to recuperate to get back to a healthy place. So, a whole lot of people know exactly how you feel right now and came out the other side. You will too. Hang in there, girl!
July 1? Man that’s not far away. Me? I wouldn’t show up to work Monday. Unless not making two months of pay buy quitting now would have a negative effect.

Old 04-05-2024, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillinICT View Post
July 1? Man that’s not far away. Me? I wouldn’t show up to work Monday. Unless not making two months of pay buy quitting now would have a negative effect.
Yep, a distinct possibility. A smooth transition would be preferable and chose July for good reasons, like maximizing my unused annual leave payout which will be considerable by July and resets in September.

Anyway back to the topic of my thread, I didn't expect the SSA to process my application at such break-neck speed and thought I'd be waiting until mid-summer to hear back from them. Had I known it would be so quick, I might have planned differently. But the plan is in motion now and as you say, July is not far away so will stay the course. Yes, I could afford to have no income for the next two months, but why bother? Its too close to rock the boat now. But yeah, it sucks.

Old 04-06-2024, 05:44 AM

11,277 posts, read 19,612,757 times
Quote:
Yep, a distinct possibility. A smooth transition would be preferable and chose July for good reasons, like maximizing my unused annual leave payout which will be considerable by July and resets in September.

Anyway back to the topic of my thread, I didn't expect the SSA to process my application at such break-neck speed and thought I'd be waiting until mid-summer to hear back from them. Had I known it would be so quick, I might have planned differently. But the plan is in motion now and as you say, July is not far away so will stay the course. Yes, I could afford to have no income for the next two months, but why bother? Its too close to rock the boat now. But yeah, it sucks.

Don't let them rope you into staying after to "train". Where I work that is the norm. They drag their feet hiring someone new and after the retired person is gone they finally hire someone and ask the retired person to come back to train the newbie. I've already said I will not be doing that. When I walk out that door I will not be walking back in, ever.

It wasn't always like that. Used to be when they knew someone was leaving they hurried up and hired someone, and the transition always went so smoothly. It's the current administration that has turned this job into a nightmare for the last 5 years. I actually used to look forward to coming to work, even after vacations.

I was so happy here, loved that I could enjoy my work as I worked toward retirement. All seemed bliss ahead lol.

Thanks you, also, for your kind words. I just hope my health holds out, because the past few years in this job has ruined it.

PS Sorry for the thread drift. I promise not to derail your thread. I am still grateful you started it and your reply to me, as well. It helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement