Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 06:32 PM

12,782 posts, read 15,001,003 times

Advertisements

I've lived in my apt for so long now (12 yrs this June) that the leasing office manager offered to renovate my apt to all new stainless steel kitchen appliances, 2 new ceiling fans, new paint, hardwood flooring, & some other upgrades. It would be like moving...but back into my own NEW place. It will take 1 wk (M-F) to be completed.

My lease is up for renewal & I was worried what the rent would increase to anyway BEFORE I was offered this renovation. However, I was wondering when my apt would finally be upgraded. (I was maybe thinking they'd offer it after living here about 10 yrs.)

Pros
  • After just 1 wk, we'll (DH & I) would live in a pretty much brand new apt, which I love anyway.
  • We weren't going to move anytime soon anywhere else anyway.
  • I work remotely & could take a wk off.
  • This is exciting and overall, I want to do this.

Cons
  • A TON of work - It's just DH &I and we'd have to pack & move everything out & put it back.
  • Unexpected expenses - About $600 something to stay in the Holiday Inn Express across the street while reno's going on. (Mom lives close & I love her immensely, but I wouldn't want to stay w/ her.)
  • Probably have to hire movers too, but don't know where they'd take/store our stuff, so I guess we'd have to pay for storage too?
  • DH's worried about how much more the rent will increase to when this happens.

I'd love to have it done and it will be fabulous when it's done, but I really don't know. It would probably take a good $1000 in reality to have this done (movers, storage, hotel, etc.). But I'm a little more concerned about the work we'd have to do than the cost. Sigh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2024, 05:33 AM

249 posts, read 237,621 times
I would get clear on what the rent will adjust to, and try to negotiate for the landlord to pay for your displacement too!

Old 04-26-2024, 06:25 AM

6,823 posts, read 11,556,490 times
What happens if you say no, thanks? Are they going to non-renew your lease so they can get the work done? That happened to my sister once, the building had renovated every unit except hers, and they just wanted to be done. If that happens to you, you’ll be moving anyway. Is there a vacant apartment or extra storage area you could move your stuff into?

If they aren’t replacing your kitchen cabinets, can you leave your things in there? That's a lot of the packing right there.

If you’ve been a good tenant, see if they’ll help with your expenses.

Old 04-26-2024, 07:30 AM

Thanks a lot guys! Here's some other info:

It's much easier to just move into an already renovated other unit and move everything and just live in that one. But then I don't know what neighbors are over there and I could ask, but leasing office probably won't do that, but I'll still ask if there's another 1-bedroom (of course already-renovated) apt that we can just move to. But, that rent will probably be higher or whatever the "market price" is.

Rent's gone up EVERY year anyway, despite my trying to negotiate. Only time it stayed same was in 2020 when COVID started. But now how much more will they raise it doing the reno? They know the lease expires in June and if you're going to move out, you have to let them know in so many days before that, so they wanted to offer the reno now.

Doesn't sound like they'll pay or help pay for a thing or even have anyone help us re: moving or putting us up in a hotel. I was thinking maybe they'd let us stay in another vacant unit on the grounds, but guess not to that either. I could always ask. They'll either say Y or N.

My mom said this may be their way to get us to move out, so they can charge higher rent for this place. Possibly, I'll never know. My mom, of course, offered for us to stay with her for a week. My mom asked what if we said NO (to the reno). I didn't ask about that yet, but I assume we just sign the new lease (with the higher amount either way anyway) and just keep living here. My mom said they could evict us and I asked why. So, Okey Dokie, thanks a lot for mentioning about this! I guess they could do that like they did to your sister. (I don't know about these things. This is my 1st apt & I don't know others who've lived in apts to learn their experiences.)

This is going to be quite an undertaking (moving)! It will take a few months at the least to pack up all this stuff, so I'll do what my mom suggests...to stall them for a few or so months. (Plus, we would have already signed the lease way by then and hopefully the increase wouldn't be as high as it would have been had we gone ahead with the reno so fast.)

BTW, no one on this premesis handles rent renewals anymore as of, I think, 2 yrs ago. It's handled off-site. So, even if I asked the leasing mgr what the rent would be if I don't do the reno and if I do, she'll just say, "I don't know, I'm not in charge of that."

Like my mom suggested too, I think we should look around at other apt complexes after all. We don't' know what this complex is plotting to do & the prices out there may be better than we think!

Last edited by Forever Blue; 04-26-2024 at 07:45 AM..

Old 04-26-2024, 07:52 AM

43,316 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Thanks a lot guys! Here's some other info:

It's much easier to just move into an already renovated other unit and move everything and just live in that one. But then I don't know what neighbors are over there and I could ask, but leasing office probably won't do that, but I'll still ask if there's another 1-bedroom (of course already-renovated) apt that we can just move to. But, that rent will probably be higher or whatever the "market price" is.

Rent's gone up EVERY year anyway, despite my trying to negotiate. Only time it stayed same was in 2020 when COVID started. But now how much more will they raise it doing the reno? They know the lease expires in June and if you're going to move out, you have to let them know in so many days before that, so they wanted to offer the reno now.

Doesn't sound like they'll pay or help pay for a thing or even have anyone help us re: moving or putting us up in a hotel. I was thinking maybe they'd let us stay in another vacant unit on the grounds, but guess not to that either. I could always ask. They'll either say Y or N.

My mom said this may be their way to get us to move out, so they can charge higher rent for this place. Possibly, I'll never know. My mom, of course, offered for us to stay with her for a week. My mom asked what if we said NO (to the reno). I didn't ask about that yet, but I assume we just sign the new lease (with the higher amount either way anyway) and just keep living here. My mom said they could evict us and I asked why. So, Okey Dokie, thanks a lot for mentioning about this! I guess they could do that like they did to your sister. (I don't know about these things. This is my 1st apt & I don't know others who've lived in apts to learn their experiences.)

This is going to be quite an undertaking (moving)! It will take a few months at the least to pack up all this stuff, so I'll do what my mom suggests...to stall them for a few or so months. (Plus, we would have already signed the lease way by then and hopefully the increase wouldn't be as high as it would have been had we gone ahead with the reno so fast.)

BTW, no one on this premesis handles rent renewals anymore as of, I think, 2 yrs ago. It's handled off-site. So, even if I asked the leasing mgr what the rent would be if I don't do the reno and if I do, she'll just say, "I don't know, I'm not in charge of that."

Like my mom suggested too, I think we should look around at other apt complexes after all. We don't' know what this complex is plotting to do & the prices out there may be better than we think!
1. Gotta get the rent renewal prices ASAP to make any judgment.
2. We just had the entire interior of our house painted. Quite the labor-intensive prep operation for us. At least the painters moved the furniture around.
But we are in a 4 BR house, not a 1BR apartment. Still you are smart to recognize the amount of work you will have to handle.
3. A plus: We got rid of a LOT of stuff. Suddenly, our closets became much roomier.
4. What happens if they don't get done in a week? You need to recognize that the apartment may not be available again when you hope to move back into it.

Bottom line:
How badly do you want the renovation finish product?

Old 04-26-2024, 07:53 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Have you discussed this with the leasing manager? Have you also addressed that the occupancy will be two adults?

Old 04-26-2024, 08:40 AM

I'm wondering now if this is their dirty trick. Funny how when it's time to renew (lease expires in less than 60 days), they suddenly offer/ask me if I want to renovate to appear "nice". They don't want to give us time to think really, it appears.

Then, if we say NO, they may evict us as the poster above, Okey Dokie, said happened to her sister.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
1. Gotta get the rent renewal prices ASAP to make any judgment.
2. We just had the entire interior of our house painted. Quite the labor-intensive prep operation for us. At least the painters moved the furniture around.
But we are in a 4 BR house, not a 1BR apartment. Still you are smart to recognize the amount of work you will have to handle.
3. A plus: We got rid of a LOT of stuff. Suddenly, our closets became much roomier.
4. What happens if they don't get done in a week? You need to recognize that the apartment may not be available again when you hope to move back into it.

Bottom line:
How badly do you want the renovation finish product?

Re: your #1, I have no control over how fast I get the renewal document w/ new rent amount. Above, I said no one on this premesis handles rent renewals anymore as of, I think, 2 yrs ago. It's handled off-site. So, even if I asked the leasing mgr what the rent would be if I don't do the reno and if I do, she'll just say, "I don't know, I'm not in charge of that."

I can't do a thing to rush it, except wait for the renewal doc w/ the new rent amount to be emailed to me.

Sure, a reno is nice, but I'm more worried about the rent increase they'll do & the whole SUDDEN undertaking we're now faced w/ of hard work & extra expenses (that we can't really afford), etc. to move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Have you discussed this with the leasing manager? Have you also addressed that the occupancy will be two adults?

So far, they said about what this reno will entail. Rent renewal pricing wasn't discussed because they're not in charge of that anymore. (See what I also said about it in this post above.)

They know that 2 people are on this lease. They can see our names on there.

Old 04-26-2024, 08:59 AM

1,922 posts, read 917,935 times
Quote:
My lease is up for renewal & I was worried what the rent would increase to anyway BEFORE I was offered this renovation.
DH's worried about how much more the rent will increase to when this happens.

Get everything in writing, regarding your new rent payments.

Personally, I'd go for it. Do some spring cleaning while moving things out, put stuff in storage, and buy new furniture to go along with the new digs. Move stuff back in at my leisure and everything I don't want back in my new apartment gets donated or sold. At least I'm not paying for the actual reno. I'm saving thousands there already.

Old 04-26-2024, 09:06 AM

1,922 posts, read 917,935 times
Quote:
lease expires in less than 60 days
I have no control over how fast I get the renewal document w/ new rent amount. Above, I said no one on this premesis handles rent renewals anymore as of, I think, 2 yrs ago. It's handled off-site.

Then you get on it, find out who the rent renewal people are, and get with them immediately. If you haven't gotten the email in 2 business days, you get on the horn again, and so on, until they get it to you.

If they won't tell you within 2 weeks, you tell the office your answer is no, that since you have no idea what the new rent will be, you'd like to renew your lease without the reno.

Make them do their jobs.

Old 04-26-2024, 09:12 AM

9,871 posts, read 7,747,075 times
Don't you think it's unusual that your lease expires in less than 60 days and you haven't heard anything yet? I would be calling the office that handles that today.

Because you are so close to renewal, I wouldn't do anything until that paperwork is signed. And if you do agree to the renovation, I don't understand why you would need to empty the entire apartment. Workers move things around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting