Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 08:01 AM

1,999 posts, read 962,127 times

Advertisements

Liquor stores usually have lots of boxes. They are great for packing kitchen items like glasses, because the boxes already have separators to keep the liquor bottles from banging together in shipment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2024, 09:29 AM

24,678 posts, read 11,011,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Liquor stores usually have lots of boxes. They are great for packing kitchen items like glasses, because the boxes already have separators to keep the liquor bottles from banging together in shipment.
Check with local liqyor stores to find out when they unpack shipments and ask them not to break down the boxes.

Old 04-29-2024, 01:33 PM

8 posts, read 757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Well, I have some more questions for the leasing mgr, but in the meantime, let the packing officially begin! Husband got boxes yesterday, so we'll get started here, which I started doing a little already. Hopefully, there's' more to just throw out than I think. Hopefully, we won't have to pay for storage & IF needed, a storage pod IF it's allowed.

Other than maybe Costco & other grocery stores, anyone know where to get FREE boxes? So far, Walmart sells 3 sizes...the biggest one $2.10 each & I'd think their boxes would be cheaper than Lowe's or Home Depot.

……
Check all stores around you:Aldi always have some boxes, any other hardware stores or even check FB market place and Craigslist - as people are giving their moving boxes for free after they are done with them

One advice: don’t get large boxes: when loaded it is difficult to move. You are better of with smaller boxes for heavier items and use trash bags for linens, clothing, etc.

If the renovation doesn’t include a bathroom(s) - why not load your bathroom with boxes, etc?
Or perhaps you could place your mattresses there, disassembled beds?

Think creative how to make it easier

Old 04-30-2024, 07:33 AM

12,792 posts, read 15,031,263 times
Thanks guys about the boxes! Walmart sells 3 sizes...biggest is $2.10 ea & I'd think theirs would be cheapest. We got 20 of those & 10 smaller ones for $1 so far. We'll return anything unused. (We didn't have time (yet so far) to drive all around checking on free boxes w/ various places.)

Yay, was able to throw out some stuff already & I'm thinking I should be able to donate quite a lot of clothing too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I'd check into getting a local rental from U-Haul. Just keep everything in the U-Haul. Since you're not going far you don't have to be be as careful with the packing...

Good idea about the U-Haul, thanks a lot! Hopefully, between being allowed to leave things on our patio balcony, hopefully stacked in the bathtub, & in my 1-car garage downstairs, we HOPEFULLY won't need any more storage methods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levante View Post
If the renovation doesn’t include a bathroom(s) - why not load your bathroom with boxes, etc?
Or perhaps you could place your mattresses there, disassembled beds?

Think creative how to make it easier

Oh yes, my brain's been thinking of how we'll do all this. The bathroom will be mainly reno'd too, but I may still be able to stack things in the tub. That's one of my next questions to ask the apt mgr.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 04-30-2024 at 07:45 AM..

Old 04-30-2024, 03:09 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,285,792 times
If you go to Walmart in the morning, the bakery department throws away boxes and they will give them to you. Look especially for Little Debbie. The boxes are just the right size and they are sturdy.

Old 05-01-2024, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
If you go to Walmart in the morning, the bakery department throws away boxes and they will give them to you. Look especially for Little Debbie. The boxes are just the right size and they are sturdy.

Thanks a lot for the tip!

& since I'm typing here again, the packing's going fine!

Old Today, 05:45 PM

Default Update!

Talked to leasing office mgr for 2nd time after initial questions I had &n things are looking GOOD, thank God!

Firstly, rent's going up only $105/month, which isn't bad at all. That's about the best for what I'm getting in the area still like when I first moved in! (Still high, but better than most.)

We'll have plenty of time to pack...5 full weeks still at this point & I'm sure I can get 2-3 more weeks if I need them, so we're looking at about end of June, which is great. We should have things all packed by then. After all, this is 12 years of accumulated stuff.

Only bad news is...leasing office doesn't help w/ a thing...no movers, no paying for storage, no putting us up in a vacant unit or a hotel in the meantime. It's all out of our pocket.

We're excited & it will be fantastic when it's all done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting