Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 10:26 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Glad you don’t work for me. I’d fire you in a heartbeat. You want the benefit of employment from landlords but don’t have a concern if they lose money.
Maybe the renters wouldn’t live in absolute filth if there was enough money left to fix the places up. Landlording isn’t always a huge profit maker , they are the last to get paid.. after you get paid.
Calling them a miserable POS is very telling of your mindset And attitude.
You’ve seen the disregard for the properties. It goes both ways. I have rentals and last year two of them which earn 1000 a month in rent had 15k and 13k in repairs after tenants left them. Guess what, I paid those that did the work, probably someone like you, immediately. I took the loss because the tenants had no regard for the properties. It’s a business. How would you feel if I didn’t pay you because I decided not to enforce a lease and get the money.
I guarantee you’d be singing a different tune.
Well said
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 11:37 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I've done work for landlords. I've seen the absolute disregard for the properties, and the utter filth that some renters are willing to live in. I have no problem whatever with a landlord keeping a deposit for repairs, or even for breaking a lease if a living person decides to leave early. But any landlord that would keep a deposit citing a 'broken lease' when somebody dies is a miserable POS and a sad excuse for a human being.
My last tenant passed away about a month ago. She had not been capable of living alone for some time yet refused to explore assisted living options, and her family didn't want to take her in. She had caregivers coming to her home at one time, but because she struggled with treating people decently, it got so none of the local caregivers would accept her as a client. Because she was low-income, the state was paying for her caregiving/housekeeping services, so you'd think the least she could have done was be decent to the people who came to do those jobs so they'd stick around. She was calling my employees and other tenants trying to get them to perform household chores and go grocery shopping for her. Edit: against my better judgement, I let her stay longer than I should have, but I did so with what I thought was the understanding that she'd be having caregivers come to the house.

I called her and put the smack down when she called my offspring to come and take out her trash (she was physically capable of at least doing that much for herself but apparently thought we should do it).

Just trying to illustrate that it's harder than you think it is. As landlords, we aren't responsible for providing tenants with housekeeping or caregiving services. If a tenant is living in filth, that's his/her own doing, and this particular tenant had a choice about that. We're just the ones who get to pay for it after the fact.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-12-2024 at 12:23 PM..

Old 03-12-2024, 03:56 PM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:
Glad you don’t work for me. I’d fire you in a heartbeat. You want the benefit of employment from landlords but don’t have a concern if they lose money.
Maybe the renters wouldn’t live in absolute filth if there was enough money left to fix the places up. Landlording isn’t always a huge profit maker , they are the last to get paid.. after you get paid.
You’ve seen the disregard for the properties. It goes both ways. I have rentals and last year two of them which earn 1000 a month in rent had 15k and 13k in repairs after tenants left them. Guess what, I paid those that did the work, probably someone like you, immediately. I took the loss because the tenants had no regard for the properties. It’s a business. How would you feel if I didn’t pay you because I decided not to enforce a lease and get the money.

Nobody is forcing anybody to be a landlord. My comments are very specific, and I'll stand by them.

Have a great day!

Old 03-12-2024, 04:01 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
it always amazes me how everyone wants to earn a market wage or market return . but when it comes to those who earn their income from real estate they want landlords to always take the hit one way or another

Old 03-12-2024, 05:55 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
As landlords, we aren't responsible for providing tenants with housekeeping or caregiving services. If a tenant is living in filth, that's his/her own doing, and this particular tenant had a choice about that.
This reminds me of the news stories about people living in squalor, how they deserve nice apartments, we should pity the poor things. It was obvious to me that maybe if they had cleaned the bathtub once a year or cleaned the stove, swept the place and put away their clothes, toys, etc. their place would be more livable. Bad habits, not poverty was too often the main problem.

Old 03-12-2024, 06:09 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
I wouldn't say they always have a "choice"... Hoarding and/or living in squalor is often the result of depression and/or trauma -- mental illness, and most people don't "choose" to have that. However, it's also not the landlord's responsibility.

Old 03-12-2024, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I wouldn't say they always have a "choice"... Hoarding and/or living in squalor is often the result of depression and/or trauma -- mental illness, and most people don't "choose" to have that. However, it's also not the landlord's responsibility.
When I typed that this particular tenant had a choice, I was referencing the fact that the state was paying for caregiving/housekeeping services. She treated them so badly that no one would work there anymore. Then she started expecting us to provide those services.

Old 03-12-2024, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
This reminds me of the news stories about people living in squalor, how they deserve nice apartments, we should pity the poor things. It was obvious to me that maybe if they had cleaned the bathtub once a year or cleaned the stove, swept the place and put away their clothes, toys, etc. their place would be more livable. Bad habits, not poverty was too often the main problem.
Airbnb, here I come. At least this way I can factor housekeeping into the cost, and it'll get done between stays.

Old 03-12-2024, 07:18 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Nobody is forcing anybody to be a landlord. My comments are very specific, and I'll stand by them.

Have a great day!
And no one is forcing the tenant to choose a particular place to live good or bad nor are they forcing them to sign a lease. What people are saying is do what the lease that was signed by both parties requires. Don’t like the terms or think the landlord is a POS as you call them, simply don’t sign the lease.

Old 03-12-2024, 07:24 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
When I typed that this particular tenant had a choice, I was referencing the fact that the state was paying for caregiving/housekeeping services. She treated them so badly that no one would work there anymore. Then she started expecting us to provide those services.
Yes, I read the post. I guess I'd argue that perhaps she was "treating them badly" (whatever that means) due to emotional/mental/physical illness, too. Clearly she proved unable to care for herself due to one or a combination of those things, so SOMETHING was wrong with her, and she probably didn't "choose" that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting