Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 04:32 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times

Advertisements

I didn't read all the responses closely, but I don't think most folks would have a problem with a landlord using a deposit for damages... but most folks would be rightfully pissed off for citing death as cause for keeping the deposit because the lease was 'broken'. 'Legal' or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2024, 10:24 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
A few things, is the family a co-signer but not resident on lease? If so they cannot sublease nor can they move in. They are financially obligated to pay the rent. That’s not to say they can’t make an arrangement with management company. This is why you have to be extra careful co-signing any debt obligation.
As far as after death obligation, if someone uses a credit card and owes 5k does the debt still not exist after death? If the deceased has an estate the debtor can go after that.
Regarding keeping the deposit after death to use for obligations owed there is nothing wrong with that. People can be pissed, but not rightfully. The money is owed.

Old 03-11-2024, 11:49 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I didn't read all the responses closely, but I don't think most folks would have a problem with a landlord using a deposit for damages... but most folks would be rightfully pissed off for citing death as cause for keeping the deposit because the lease was 'broken'. 'Legal' or not.
And yet...the lease WAS broken. For whatever reason, the tenant did not occupy the unit until the end of the agreed upon tenancy period. Hence, the landlord was not being paid for that period and had to ready the unit for re-renting, just as he/she would if the tenant broke the lease for any other reason. In terms of damages to the landlord, the result is the same, so the reason is irrelevant.

Old 03-11-2024, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
And yet...the lease WAS broken. For whatever reason, the tenant did not occupy the unit until the end of the agreed upon tenancy period. Hence, the landlord was not being paid for that period and had to ready the unit for re-renting, just as he/she would if the tenant broke the lease for any other reason. In terms of damages to the landlord, the result is the same, so the reason is irrelevant.

I acknowledged the lease was broken. It's still a miserable thing to do.

Old 03-11-2024, 06:31 PM

Quote:
What if it was a mom and pop landlord not making a lot of money. Are they the bad guys then?

Old 03-11-2024, 06:52 PM

504 posts, read 258,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
What if it was a mom and pop landlord not making a lot of money. Are they the bad guys then?
It seems to me that those who resent our "capitalist" system also benefit greatly from that system. Perhaps they cannot see that.

Sure there are some who abuse the system, but those are ( I believe ) relatively few.

Old 03-11-2024, 08:50 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
It's a business. Not a charity.

Old 03-12-2024, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It's a business. Not a charity.

I've done work for landlords. I've seen the absolute disregard for the properties, and the utter filth that some renters are willing to live in. I have no problem whatever with a landlord keeping a deposit for repairs, or even for breaking a lease if a living person decides to leave early. But any landlord that would keep a deposit citing a 'broken lease' when somebody dies is a miserable POS and a sad excuse for a human being.

Old 03-12-2024, 10:01 AM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
I've done work for landlords. I've seen the absolute disregard for the properties, and the utter filth that some renters are willing to live in. I have no problem whatever with a landlord keeping a deposit for repairs, or even for breaking a lease if a living person decides to leave early. But any landlord that would keep a deposit citing a 'broken lease' when somebody dies is a miserable POS and a sad excuse for a human being.
That is your personal opinion.
Who knows who signed the lease?

Old 03-12-2024, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Glad you don’t work for me. I’d fire you in a heartbeat. You want the benefit of employment from landlords but don’t have a concern if they lose money.
Maybe the renters wouldn’t live in absolute filth if there was enough money left to fix the places up. Landlording isn’t always a huge profit maker , they are the last to get paid.. after you get paid.
Calling them a miserable POS is very telling of your mindset And attitude.
You’ve seen the disregard for the properties. It goes both ways. I have rentals and last year two of them which earn 1000 a month in rent had 15k and 13k in repairs after tenants left them. Guess what, I paid those that did the work, probably someone like you, immediately. I took the loss because the tenants had no regard for the properties. It’s a business. How would you feel if I didn’t pay you because I decided not to enforce a lease and get the money.
I guarantee you’d be singing a different tune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting