Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 07:58 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times

Advertisements

I wonder why this is in the retirement forum, however. . .Here in our city of 65,000 we are at 33% Asian now, mostly tech workers at Amazon and Microsoft from India. That trend has been going on for at least 20 years, and yes, some of the Indian females have married white guys. That's not the same as ordering mail order brides, just normal mixing of people from different backgrounds and resulting in marriage.

Old 03-25-2024, 08:06 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,605,519 times
What an absurd statement: almost 1/3 of "all American men". You can barely get a small fraction of Americans to travel anywhere outside the country & that's usually to Caribbean cruises or group bus tours of the UK.

Old 03-25-2024, 08:30 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I wonder why this is in the retirement forum, however. . .Here in our city of 65,000 we are at 33% Asian now, mostly tech workers at Amazon and Microsoft from India. That trend has been going on for at least 20 years, and yes, some of the Indian females have married white guys. That's not the same as ordering mail order brides, just normal mixing of people from different backgrounds and resulting in marriage.
It would be for verboten in the relationship forum. And they say it's the Asia not Asian forum. I guess the legal immigration forum might host this topic.

Old 03-25-2024, 08:45 AM

316 posts, read 180,216 times
Pics of Eastern women, so we can try to understand why the guys are marrying them?

Old 03-25-2024, 08:46 AM

12,058 posts, read 10,264,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
When I saw "Eastern" the first thing I thought of was Eastern European, not Asian as from somewhere in Asia.
So did I -

Old 03-25-2024, 08:48 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,030,381 times
There is a possible retirement connection to this topic. A very high percentage of Americans at or near retirement age are single. This is having considerable impact on retirement income and financial security for retirees. A number of articles are appearing on this topic as Boomers are aging during their retirement and income security becoming more challenged for them. Especially senior woman.
Which begs the question do marriages between American men and foreign woman stand less chance of divorce with a greater chance of retirement security for each?

Old 03-25-2024, 08:49 AM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Sorry on the phone right now and I haven't figured linking out on it.

A green card is a green card but a spousal visa is considered non immigrant and it is only one of many ways to get a visa to the US. And thus a secondary petition to adjust status to get permanent residence. The most famous being the K-1 with the 90 day count down to actually get married, then to get the temporary work authorization card that used to be green and finally the permanent residence card or go direct to US citizenship
Please do some research on US immigration.

Old 03-25-2024, 08:53 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
There is a possible retirement connection to this topic. A very high percentage of Americans at or near retirement age are single. This is having considerable impact on retirement income and financial security for retirees. A number of articles are appearing on this topic as Boomers are aging during their retirement and income security becoming more challenged for them. Especially senior woman.
Which begs the question do marriages between American men and foreign woman stand less chance of divorce with a greater chance of retirement security for each?
People do sometimes get married later in life for financial security, but I don't think it's very common. One female relative, for example married a gay guy just before they both retired, and then bought a house with two masters. They worked at different public agencies and now both have pension survivorship benefits. Neither is Asian, however.

Old 03-25-2024, 09:01 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
I have a 68 year old uncle who recently did this. He's been married to now four different women, and one of those women at least three times.

His Filipina wife is 45. I believe he started seeing her in 2019 - it was prior to COVID, but not sure how long prior. He signed up on some Asian dating site, and took multiple trips to Thailand, South Korea, and Japan, before settling on The Philippines, primarily because English is spoken there.

Personally, I think it's all about power, and easy and available sex. He busted up with his first wife when I was fairly young - she was about ten years older than him, and he wanted kids. She was one of his high school teachers, and they started fooling around together then. He was around 40 then, she was around 50. He married a woman twelve years younger than himself, had two kids, but they never seemed like a good fit.

He ended up buying a German Shepherd back in 2010 or 2011. He started taking the dog to a trainer. It was odd because he never liked dogs.

He "delivered the news" on Christmas Eve to the second wife, and his two daughters (then 16 and 12), that he was leaving for the dog trainer.

They had an up and down relationship for several years. They busted up and remarried at least twice. Each time, he was out money.

The dog trainer had an explosive personality. Not a good fit for someone who wants to be dominant. The Filipina wants a green card, and eventually citizenship/residency for her and her son.

A lot of East Asian women were brought up in very traditional/conservative gender roles. Many are submissive to their husbands in terms of day-to-day life and in the bedroom. That's probably even more pronounced when they are fully financially dependent upon their husband, and even moreso when they need to stay with that husband to get the residency requirements they want met.

After he busted up with the second wife, he became completely obsessed with women and sex. He'll say he loves his new wife, but there were quite a few trips where he would leave the US well before the departure date that he told the Filipina to have some fling with yet another woman in another country.

She's only been over here and living with him since Thanksgiving. The novelty hasn't worn off yet. She left behind a teenage son at home.

He doesn't have much of a relationship with his daughters at this point unless they need something financially.

He's wanting a submissive wife that has to do what he says, easy sex, and probably a caregiver in his later years. She's wanting financial security and US residency. He's worth probably $5-$10 million at this point. The relationship is clearly transactional.

Old 03-25-2024, 09:30 AM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
He's wanting a submissive wife that has to do what he says, easy sex, and probably a caregiver in his later years. She's wanting financial security and US residency. The relationship is clearly transactional.
Pretty much this. And with regard to the sex part, but also for show/appearances, these men want an attractive woman who is petite and fit (even if they themselves are fat slobs).

There's a hilarious mockumentary called Mail Order Wife, about a fat, lazy, lower income American guy who buys an Asian wife. The plot turns when it's realized the woman is a 'serial bride' and is only fishing for a wealthy husband and financial gain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships