Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2023, 02:00 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
LOL! Anyone advocating a tear down doesn't understand hockey... or really pro sports (those are mostly the "we didnt win it all... we must really suck" types). This is a team that with better health and luck very well could have lifted the cup (something several teams can say every year).

The team can get there generally as constructed. Add a few strategic pieces. Obviously we'll lose some guys too (nature of the beast). But this is nowhere near a blow it up scenario.
Well, you don't need to know much to preach on social media, right?

I hope we can keep some of the UFAs. Fast, Andersen, Noesen,MacEachern.
I wouldn't be opposed to Stastny if he wants another year.
Raanta would be OK, too, for similar money.
Ghostisbehere, but the free agent money might lure him away. Eh, if he goes, that $4.5 million cap space might be put to good use.

But, yeah. A 40 goal guy or 25 goals with grit would be great in free agency.
Pacioretty on a PTO or close to minimum with some incentive clauses? Why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2023, 10:18 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well, you don't need to know much to preach on social media, right?

I hope we can keep some of the UFAs. Fast, Andersen, Noesen,MacEachern.
I wouldn't be opposed to Stastny if he wants another year.
Raanta would be OK, too, for similar money.
Ghostisbehere, but the free agent money might lure him away. Eh, if he goes, that $4.5 million cap space might be put to good use.

But, yeah. A 40 goal guy or 25 goals with grit would be great in free agency.
Pacioretty on a PTO or close to minimum with some incentive clauses? Why not?
Between Andersen and Raanta, I'd probably prefer whichever is cheaper. They're about the same age. FA has been injury prone but also generally more effective when at his best (but both have had spurts of solid goaltending). See what PK has and then find someone who is willing to play in the AHL who has the capability of adequately filling in in the NHL when needed. If the "other" of Raanta/Andersen is OK with this role and the money that would go with it, that's cool too but I don't see that as realistic. This is where I've floated the name Dustin Tokarski (as a former Hampton Roads resident, we used to see him play for the Admirals and I've followed his career as well.... he fits well in what I've described.... when TB/Anaheim switched affiliations, his successor in goal was none other than Andersen as well as John Gibson).

What we add will be dependent on who we keep (pretty much a Captain Obvious statement haha). Otherwise, like we've both said some kind of goal scoring threat (doesn't have to be a 40 goal guy... but a 20-25 goal guy would be nice) would be helpful. We need to hope that Svech does take that next step to super stardom because getting one in FA isn't realistic. That said, even if Svech doesn't take that leap, this is still a team that can hoist the Stanley Cup if the chips fall right. I'm interested to see who will truly be available on the FA market.

Old 06-16-2023, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Between Andersen and Raanta, I'd probably prefer whichever is cheaper. They're about the same age. FA has been injury prone but also generally more effective when at his best (but both have had spurts of solid goaltending). See what PK has and then find someone who is willing to play in the AHL who has the capability of adequately filling in in the NHL when needed. If the "other" of Raanta/Andersen is OK with this role and the money that would go with it, that's cool too but I don't see that as realistic. This is where I've floated the name Dustin Tokarski (as a former Hampton Roads resident, we used to see him play for the Admirals and I've followed his career as well.... he fits well in what I've described.... when TB/Anaheim switched affiliations, his successor in goal was none other than Andersen as well as John Gibson).

What we add will be dependent on who we keep (pretty much a Captain Obvious statement haha). Otherwise, like we've both said some kind of goal scoring threat (doesn't have to be a 40 goal guy... but a 20-25 goal guy would be nice) would be helpful. We need to hope that Svech does take that next step to super stardom because getting one in FA isn't realistic. That said, even if Svech doesn't take that leap, this is still a team that can hoist the Stanley Cup if the chips fall right. I'm interested to see who will truly be available on the FA market.
No argument on any of it, especially goalies.
I would be fine with either Raanta or Andersen, and Andersen is going to want to cash in beyond what the Canes should pay, I am guessing.

Free Agents?
Jordan Staal stands out, and confidence is high he isn't going anywhere. Hope he signs for as long as he wants to on a team friendly contract. I saw some nuts saying $1.5 million. Ridiculous. I'm thinking 3 years at $3.5 or $4 million.
There's a lot of deadwood in the Free Agent list. I cannot get Alex Killorn out of my mind...
https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/f...ts-season=2023

Old 06-16-2023, 01:19 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
No argument on any of it, especially goalies.
I would be fine with either Raanta or Andersen, and Andersen is going to want to cash in beyond what the Canes should pay, I am guessing.

Free Agents?
Jordan Staal stands out, and confidence is high he isn't going anywhere. Hope he signs for as long as he wants to on a team friendly contract. I saw some nuts saying $1.5 million. Ridiculous. I'm thinking 3 years at $3.5 or $4 million.
There's a lot of deadwood in the Free Agent list. I cannot get Alex Killorn out of my mind...
https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/f...ts-season=2023
Norfolk bias aside, I'd love Killorn to be a Cane.

Old 06-16-2023, 02:07 PM

From Pierre LeBrun in The Athletic a couple of hours ago:

• The Hurricanes, let’s be clear, would much rather extend and keep Brett Pesce than trade him. And as of Friday morning, they continue to talk to Pesce’s camp in an effort to extend the top-four blueliner.

Pesce recently switched agents, now with Judd Moldaver of Wasserman, and traditionally when a player gets a new agent, he’s probably been promised certain things. So I think that set an early tone to talks with Carolina. Things didn’t start on the best of footings. But they’re still talking, and I don’t think Pesce wants to leave Carolina, so there’s always hope there.
In the meantime, teams are indeed calling. As I mentioned on TSN’s Insider Trading on Thursday, the Sabres have shown keen interest as they hope to land a top-four D this offseason.
TSN colleague Darren Dreger on Insider Trading chimed in with information that the Oilers were also eying Pesce.
The situation is clear: Either the Hurricanes extend Pesce or trade him this summer. They’re not comfortable letting him start the 2023-24 season on an expiring deal. They’re protecting the asset here.

They will have to get a stud for Pesce, or fans will be miffed.
Alex Tuch might do, if it is Buffalo.

But, the rumor on that is Pesce, Drury, and a 1st rounder.
Buffalo would have to give a prospect equal to Drury to get the draft pick, IMO. Maybe Jack Quinn.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 06-16-2023 at 02:16 PM..

Old 06-16-2023, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Norfolk bias aside, I'd love Killorn to be a Cane.
Same article as above:

• The Lightning apparently won’t go down without a fight in trying to keep longtime veteran winger Alex Killorn, but all signs point to the 33-year-old pending UFA going to market — where, by the way, he’s tied for the most goals (27) this season of the entire UFA class.
Term will be a key item in discussions with teams come July 1. Killorn’s camp will be seeking three to four years.
Can play cap games with Killorn...
Sign him before he turns 35 and work the money a bit. 3 years? Sure. 4 years? Probably. 5 years? Maybe, if the money is OK.
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/alex-killorn
Durable player with steady production and deep playoff experience.

I'm all in on this one.

Old 06-17-2023, 09:21 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
UFA crop this summer is blah. Only 3 players with 25+ goals. One of them is Bergeron, who will likely stay in Boston. A trade may be necessary. I would hate to see Pesce go, but Lajoie or one of the other Wolves D may be ready.

Old 06-17-2023, 10:32 AM

8,803 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Look I like Pesce but Slavin has his contract up in 2025, if it comes down to those two I'd keep Slavin.

Old 06-17-2023, 11:37 AM

1,462 posts, read 657,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Look I like Pesce but Slavin has his contract up in 2025, if it comes down to those two I'd keep Slavin.

Nooooooooo....don't even put that out in the universe. Losing Slavin is that which can never be spoken of.

Old 06-17-2023, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
Nooooooooo....don't even put that out in the universe. Losing Slavin is that which can never be spoken of.
Slavin?
"Everyone is tradeable" just doesn't seem to fit. He's going to get paid in Raleigh, I believe.

Brady Skjei?
I really don't like the possibility of losing the entire second pair...

Brian Pesce was on twitter last night, and said he will be heartbroken if Brett leaves Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary