Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 07:46 AM

32 posts, read 45,607 times

Advertisements

BOOM

https://wraltechwire.com/2022/03/28/...nt-13000-jobs/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2022, 07:56 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Was mentioned over the weekend over in the Chatham megasite thread.

Odds this actually comes to fruition? Zero name recognition in the U.S. and very limited history of selling cars at all. Best of luck to them, but they've got a lot to overcome if they're going to succeed here.

Old 03-28-2022, 08:23 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Was mentioned over the weekend over in the Chatham megasite thread.

Odds this actually comes to fruition? Zero name recognition in the U.S. and very limited history of selling cars at all. Best of luck to them, but they've got a lot to overcome if they're going to succeed here.
The targeted 412 mile range for the larger vehicle is attractive. IF it can be delivered.

Old 03-28-2022, 08:58 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The targeted 412 mile range for the larger vehicle is attractive. IF it can be delivered.
It will also be interesting to see if their "battery-lease" model is popular. If you go the purchase route, you own / finance everything on the car except the battery itself, which is indefinitely leased from Vinfast for a monthly fee. This allows them to offer an attractive low "purchase price" for a luxury EV, and then tag the battery lease on separately. Even if you pay off the car or buy it for cash, you will always have a monthly payment on the battery lease.

Vinfast also hasn't announced if you can "lock in" a battery lease price or if it will be annual / month to month. I.E. you buy the car assuming a $150 a month battery lease and they increase it to $225 a month 6 months later. You are captive / stuck because the car doesn't work without the battery.

Once the vehicle depreciates, you have to find other people on the used car market that are willing to buy a car that will at the minimum require signing up for a $150 a month lease. Will be interesting to see how much a depreciated Vinfast is worth since you are selling an old "shell" of a car and the buyer separately gets the battery from Vinfast.

Last edited by CLT4; 03-28-2022 at 09:07 AM..

Old 03-28-2022, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
It will also be interesting to see if their "battery-lease" model is popular. If you go the purchase route, you own / finance everything except the battery itself, which is indefinitely leased from Vinfast. Even if you pay off the car or buy it for cash, you will always have a monthly payment on the battery lease.
You read it further than I did....
Does the battery come with a life-time warranty, I wonder?

Sort of explains the pricing, since so many SUVs are base-priced higher. Residual income.

Old 03-28-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:
You read it further than I did....
Does the battery come with a life-time warranty, I wonder?

Sort of explains the pricing, since so many SUVs are base-priced higher. Residual income.
As a subscriber, your battery will be replaced under Vinfast's lease structure once it depletes to 70%. You then get a new battery as part of your monthly fee.

For a manufacturer that includes the battery in the purchase price, that 70% depletion is expected around year 8 - 10 based on warranties offered by Tesla, GM, Ford, VW, et... For a Vinfast, assuming a $150 month lease payment, at year 10 the owner would have spent $18,000 on battery lease payments if a swap is needed at that point. You then get a new battery for the new $18,000 of lease payments for year 10 - 20.

In theory battery prices should come down over the next 10 years... so Vinfast could lower the monthly fee. If would also mean the full replacement cost on a ten year old Tesla's battery will have also come down.

Old 03-28-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
As a subscriber, your battery will be replaced under Vinfast's lease structure once it depletes to 70%. You then get a new battery as part of your monthly fee.

For a manufacturer that includes the battery in the purchase price, that 70% depletion is expected around year 8 - 10 based on warranties offered by Tesla, GM, Ford, VW, et.
Yoiks....
So, over the 8-10 years, I could pay lease fees of $9600--$12,000, and get a battery.
INteresting scheme when it comes used car time....

"Battery lease paid to date, and only 56% depletion!"

Eh. I suppose it is 6 of one, half a dozen of the other, all in all.

Old 03-28-2022, 09:26 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
I'm sure there will be someone who comes up with a replacement battery pack that doesnt need a monthly payment.

Old 03-28-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Yoiks....
So, over the 8-10 years, I could pay lease fees of $9600--$12,000, and get a battery.
INteresting scheme when it comes used car time....

"Battery lease paid to date, and only 56% depletion!"

Eh. I suppose it is 6 of one, half a dozen of the other, all in all.
Yeah it is definitely an interesting model. I'm not sure how certain things in the market will respond as well... for example does your car insurance cover the battery or not? In the event of a total loss of the vehicle and the battery is destroyed in the accident... does the Vinfast lease fee cover this loss / include insurance on the battery portion of the car as part of your monthly payment or is your car insurance responsible for the battery, et.

Old 03-28-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Yeah it is definitely an interesting model. I'm not sure how certain things in the market will respond as well... for example does your car insurance cover the battery or not? In the event of a total loss of the vehicle and the battery is destroyed in the accident... does the Vinfast lease fee cover this loss / include insurance on the battery portion of the car as part of your monthly payment or is your car insurance responsible for the battery, et.
Let's them be a price leader, with that base price.

Jeeeeze, I am in the Ford Lightning queue, and could be more excited about the price and the range.

Then, there's Rivian, who torpedoed their rep with that $12,000 price bump, and had to back away from pushing it into those in the queue.

Of course, there's Lordstown, which might be taken over by better management for dimes on the dollar when they pull the plug.... (pun!!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary