Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 12:30 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
Rezoning agreement means that the turntable stays and the project develops around it. I'm highly suspect that this project ever gets off the ground.

Smoky Hollow 3 details should be out by early 2022, Williams Realty working with their partners on the project plans. It could be the highest floor count in downtown Raleigh.
By the end of the decade, Glenwood South could be unrecognizable with at least 3 new towers @20+ floors, and other substantial redevelopments, especially the Johnson/Glenwood/Peace block. I'm looking forward to the district growing out of its current "spring break" incarnation into something more substantial and urban neighborhood focused.

What's going on Atlantic Ave. @ Whitaker Mill isn't getting the sort of attention that I think it deserves, and I think that it is going to surprise a lot of folks when it's completed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzcr4MnNrYg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 02:17 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
By the end of the decade, Glenwood South could be unrecognizable with at least 3 new towers @20+ floors, and other substantial redevelopments, especially the Johnson/Glenwood/Peace block. I'm looking forward to the district growing out of its current "spring break" incarnation into something more substantial and urban neighborhood focused.

What's going on Atlantic Ave. @ Whitaker Mill isn't getting the sort of attention that I think it deserves, and I think that it is going to surprise a lot of folks when it's completed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzcr4MnNrYg
If they can somehow figure out how to connect the development across Capital Boulevard to downtown or up to North Hills that would be a huge win. That's the major issue in that area right now

Old 10-11-2021, 05:01 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,082 times
With all of these new and expanding developments in and around downtown and midtown, I must believe that the city is considering rail transit of some sort in the long term. There is no way road improvements will suffice. It would only be a bandaid.

Old 10-12-2021, 09:33 AM

368 posts, read 294,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
With all of these new and expanding developments in and around downtown and midtown, I must believe that the city is considering rail transit of some sort in the long term. There is no way road improvements will suffice. It would only be a bandaid.
There's not enough density for rail transit to make a dent in traffic capacity/congestion. What would you suggest?

That said, Raleigh/Wake is investing in bus rapid transit, not rail.

Old 10-12-2021, 02:05 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficSys View Post
There's not enough density for rail transit to make a dent in traffic capacity/congestion. What would you suggest?

Yeah as of this moment, there's nothing in any of the long-range transportation plans to do any rail besides the Durham-Garner commuter rail line. There is the potential for a future bus rapid transit line between downtown Raleigh and North Hills: https://nmcdn.io/e186d21f8c7946a19fa...ed_Transit.pdf

Old 10-12-2021, 03:35 PM

4,588 posts, read 6,414,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Yeah as of this moment, there's nothing in any of the long-range transportation plans to do any rail besides the Durham-Garner commuter rail line. There is the potential for a future bus rapid transit line between downtown Raleigh and North Hills: https://nmcdn.io/e186d21f8c7946a19fa...ed_Transit.pdf
Pitiful. smh.

Old 10-12-2021, 05:00 PM

Quote:

I would suggest taking the emotion out of it and let’s have better and more rational longer term transit planning...

Let's have this conversation again in 5 or so years. You'll be begging for some transit relief. That's assuming you live and will stay in this area.

Future growth and densification is why long term planning is critical, which this area is not good at. You see it in the educational system, transportation, commercial and residential developments, and even voter districting. The prevailing mentality is do the bare minimum that will get us by today, and worry about the future later...if ever.

Last edited by uncchgrad; 10-12-2021 at 05:32 PM..

Old 10-12-2021, 05:33 PM

171 posts, read 142,816 times
Quote:

Increase zoning density along BRT lines. Incentivize transit oriented development. As redevelopment occurs along the lines implement plans to convert the BRT routes to rail and add new BRT corridors. Increase separated bike lanes so that the last .5 miles to any stop is easy to bike.

Or maybe a gondola.

I think there are enough recent rezonings, or building proposals to double the SF of DTR. Proposals grow on trees but you have to at least have a plan for dealing with the density you're approving on the off chance that the projects come to fruition.

Old 10-12-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OberlinSouth View Post
Increase zoning density along BRT lines. Incentivize transit oriented development. As redevelopment occurs along the lines implement plans to convert the BRT routes to rail and add new BRT corridors. Increase separated bike lanes so that the last .5 miles to any stop is easy to bike.

Or maybe a gondola.

I think there are enough recent rezonings, or building proposals to double the SF of DTR. Proposals grow on trees but you have to at least have a plan for dealing with the density you're approving on the off chance that the projects come to fruition.
Thanks for helping to underscore the need for more reasonable transit planning. The buildings are not going to stop going up and the people are not going to stop coming. At least no time soon. We’d better be prepared, but it seems that the boomers are leaving it for future generations to worry about.

Old 10-12-2021, 09:36 PM

Quote:

This is an example of poor urban transit planning. If you look at most larger cities, bus transit is considered transportation for the poor. Very few middle class and wealthy citizens rely on bus transit regularly, if at all. On the otherhand, you will see all income levels take rail transit. Even Billionaire Bloomberg takes the NYC metro.

What's going to happen when Raleigh/Wake County invests millions in providing rapid bus transit, and it fails to materialize financially, which most definitely will happen. Why? Because of the reason I explained earlier. It will mainly serve low income passengers and higher incomes will avoid it like the plague.

With Raleigh and Wake County being a higher income area, and becoming moreso by the day, I fear that this plan is doomed from conception and will only waste taxpayer money.

Again, poor transit planning.

Last edited by uncchgrad; 10-12-2021 at 09:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary