Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 07:45 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Exactly, something junior military officers learn in "How to be a Lt. 101"

Otherwise, people eventually dismiss you and you lose any semblance of respect from your men (citizens in this case).

She wasn't elected to be the "cool" mayor...she was elected to properly govern our city and lead our elected and unelected city officials and leading by example is the only long term path to success. This goes for companies, government, family, etc.
I co-lead a completely successful single earner household with two kids under 6. I pay my taxes dutifully every year. I have routinely been a top performer at every company (small as 30 people, as large as ~500K) I have ever worked. I have consumed almost daily since February 2002 and I partake most nights after they go to bed now.

When they reach an age of experimentation, I would 1000000000 times more hope they would experiment with THC vs alcohol. And to your point, there is nothing “cool” about it.

I’m all for good “leadership”, and “respect” and “proper governance” and thank goodness this is civil leadership and not the military.

But I think you’re making a mountain out of an ant hill. She could just as easily thrown back a bottle or two of wine and you wouldn’t be saying a thing. Don’t let 80 year old stigmas about race and “them”, which became law, cloud your judgment.

Last edited by GVoR; 06-24-2020 at 08:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 08:34 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
Why? Because its a socially conservative state and republicans control the state's general assembly (state "congress"). I don't see it changing any time soon (like within the next 5 years or so).
Don't forget the big in-state Pharma companies that don't want to see any competition in parts of their market.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:48 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Good advice. How about passing that along to the big guy with orange hair in Washington.
No arguments from me on that one. Total disgrace, I can't wait for Nov.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:03 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I co-lead a completely successful single earner household with two kids under 6. I pay my taxes dutifully every year. I have routinely been a top performer at every company (small as 30 people, as large as ~500K) I have ever worked. I have consumed almost daily since February 2002 and I partake most nights after they go to bed now.

When they reach an age of experimentation, I would 1000000000 times more hope they would experiment with THC vs alcohol. And to your point, there is nothing “cool” about it.

I’m all for good “leadership”, and “respect” and “proper governance” and thank goodness this is civil leadership and not the military.

But I think you’re making a mountain out of an ant hill. She could just as easily thrown back a bottle or two of wine and you wouldn’t be saying a thing. Don’t let 80 year old stigmas about race and “them”, which became law, cloud your judgment.
I'm glad you are successful. You are a private citizen.

It's still illegal while getting drunk at home isn't and not what a public figure should be doing while their police force arrests others, primarily lower income minorities, for doing the same.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
I'm glad you are successful. You are a private citizen.

It's still illegal while getting drunk at home isn't and not what a public figure should be doing while their police force arrests others, primarily lower income minorities, for doing the same.
As I alluded to above, I can’t really disagree with your points. It isn’t a good look, especially the cop angle.

Old 06-25-2020, 02:06 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,182,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Don't forget the big in-state Pharma companies that don't want to see any competition in parts of their market.
I suspect it has more to do with the tobacco industry in North Carolina.

Old 06-25-2020, 02:54 PM

628 posts, read 398,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
I suspect it has more to do with the tobacco industry in North Carolina.
Actually, cannibals is a perfect fit for the tobacco industry to expand into...all the infrastructure is in place...manufacturing, advertising, sales/distribution, etc. Not to mention former tobacco farmers who could easily switch to a new crop. The cigarette companies would make a fortune. They'd be fools to stand in the way. Plus, its not like one is a substitute for the other.

Old 06-25-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
Actually, cannibals is a perfect fit for the tobacco industry to expand into...all the infrastructure is in place...manufacturing, advertising, sales/distribution, etc. Not to mention former tobacco farmers who could easily switch to a new crop. The cigarette companies would make a fortune. They'd be fools to stand in the way. Plus, its not like one is a substitute for the other.

Given that Coke and Corona are already in on the THC beverage drink thing (whenever they can actually sell it) sorta surprised Big Tobacco doesn't see the writing on the wall. 18-24 year olds smoke at half the rate of the two proceeding generations. Never mind the growth in vaping.

Old 06-25-2020, 04:43 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
No arguments from me on that one. Total disgrace, I can't wait for Nov.
That was my rep.

Old 06-26-2020, 12:59 PM

141 posts, read 140,824 times
There's a couple issues at play here. The biggest being that tobacco rules NC. In fact, this state is still the largest tobacco producer in the US by far:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ing-us-states/

While tobacco farmers could convert some of their crops to cannabis, tobacco companies are still scared that they'll lose of their production if farms completely switch to cannabis if it more lucrative. The Asian and European export markets for tobacco are far too precious to jeopardize and these companies aren't exactly known to take risks. The tobacco lobby lines the pockets of both political parties as well.

The second issue locally is that people just aren't cannabis friendly. People speak of it in hushed tones like it's the 80's still and police are harshly enforcing the law despite "decriminalization". After living in PA (which had a medical program) and coming back to my hometown of Raleigh it's really night and day with the way people feel about cannabis.

Also it not just "The South" either on this issue as many southern states have medical programs as we speak with more on the way. NC is just it's own breed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary