Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 10:54 AM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I agree with don6170. Hatch, people you talk to here in the Triangle may say that they want it, but I would be surprised if anything happened in NC before it happens on the Federal level. I just don't see it happening anytime soon.
Hey, that's cool. Everywhere I lived I tend follow local government processes, and there have a been a lot of cannabis/CBD oil sponsored bills here in NC. That's how it all started in CO too. Bills after bills. And finally when CO gen assembly got flipped from red to blue, stuff started happening. I can see that here as well. I do agree it'll be hard. Of course, regional cultures differ, and here things are getting shot down a lot right now. But, I think it won't hurt to be optimistic.

I think the biggest plus here is that it's not just liberals who want to make this happen. I remember reading up on the NC State Extension program, and how they were overwhelmed with the requests from farmers all over NC who wanted to start their hemp program. So I think that's what will be helpful. The push isn't just going to be Triangle hippies and hipsters who want their sativa or indica -- it's going to be the farmers who are hurting and realizing that this is a legit crop that can help them survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 11:15 AM

Okay, I do not want to monopolize this thread, but I will leave y'all with some stuff to read about recent NC Bills.

New medical cannabis bill that's currently pending in NC

NC Farmers pushing for hemp legalization

This one is a year old news, but I can't find the newest one that was re-written to compromise some things. But, fyi, this is also happening.

Not NC, but check out some of the progress with decriminalization that's been happening in VA since they flipped their general assembly. Link is here

Anyway, vote for people who want to make this happen this fall!

Old 06-24-2020, 11:24 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
Anyway, vote for people who want to make this happen this fall!
You can bet that I will!

Old 06-24-2020, 11:27 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
We're definitely trending in the right direction, but there's no telling what the timeline will be to legalizing it either her in NC or at the Federal level.

It's such a stupid thing anyway because it's pretty easy to buy weed here already from what I've been told by my Millennial and Gen-Z sons. The only thing we're preventing by holding the moral line is a healthy stream of tax revenue by selling it legally. Honestly, either legalize marijuana of ban alcohol, but stop hanging out in the middle in terms of which way you're going to get a buzz going.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
You can bet that I will!
Thank you! I am just hopeful that big changes are coming to this state! It's one of the nicest places I have lived in with high concentration of educated, artsy, and compassionate people, and I think it's time our system reflected our believes.

I think people think I am the biggest pothead because I know all this crap about all kinds of cannabis bills. But, really, I was born in a communist state, and when I came to this country I really fell in love with democratic processes. I watch too much Democracy Now and local C-span. Cannabis is just one of those new and fun things to watch because it has so many variables -- such as law reinforcement, local boards, education, health care, real estate and finances.

But, I think I will stop now and wait what happens.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:44 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Raleigh's mayor was just caught with a mj vape pen in the pic they took (later edited out).

https://imgur.com/v24zo3P

https://twitter.com/maryannbaldwin/s...17074808274947

Archived:

https://web.archive.org/web/20200324...17074808274947

Old 06-24-2020, 12:11 PM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
I do not agree that we can look at NC liquor laws and say that's the reason it "won't happen here."

I guess we will have to disagree. Were you here a couple years ago when they were talking about privatizing ABC stores? The amount of revenue the state could bring in was substantial. While there were arguments about those that would lose their jobs, there was a lot of resistance from the religious groups. Look at the resistance to hemp. Last I saw, the latest legislation will again make it illegal in a year or so. Like New York City vs the rest of New York State, the views of rural NC don't necessarily align with those in Raleigh, Charlotte, Asheville, etc.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:51 PM

12 posts, read 12,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
We're definitely trending in the right direction, but there's no telling what the timeline will be to legalizing it either her in NC or at the Federal level.

It's such a stupid thing anyway because it's pretty easy to buy weed here already from what I've been told by my Millennial and Gen-Z sons. The only thing we're preventing by holding the moral line is a healthy stream of tax revenue by selling it legally. Honestly, either legalize marijuana of ban alcohol, but stop hanging out in the middle in terms of which way you're going to get a buzz going.
For real. I don't smoke weed though. I use dispensary 1:1 oil that has almost no psychoactive effects. Ingesting the medical cannabis in this form has helped me a ton and keeps seizures and pain down quite a bit. It's so sad that they couldn't at least legalize 1:1 oils.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:53 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Raleigh's mayor was just caught with a mj vape pen in the pic they took (later edited out).
Dude, you got an obsession with the mayor. What do you want to do...lock her up?

Old 06-24-2020, 01:00 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Dude, you got an obsession with the mayor. What do you want to do...lock her up?
I'm not sure how posting that makes me obsessed but I do find more examples of her hypocritical nature humorous. All the more reason to ignore her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary