Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2023, 06:04 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,829,335 times

Advertisements

NCDOT is holding a public meeting this Wednesday to discuss the project.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...d-project.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2023, 10:26 PM

94 posts, read 57,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post

Hey, maybe I'll actually still be alive when it's done! They were talking about making US1 a freeway 20 years ago, so I'll believe it when I see it. Back then, the land they needed would have been much cheaper. The phrase "Too little, too late" springs to mind.

Old 06-27-2023, 07:02 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,941,307 times
It sucks right now.

There are about 14 stoplights between mini-city and Youngsville. At each one, each side has it's own all-green phase, resulting in 2-3 waits.

The worst aspect though is that everyone lollygags, content to drive 45-50 mph. I feel like people go unusually slow on US1 compared to everywhere else statewide with the same style highway.

Old 06-27-2023, 08:15 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
It sucks right now.

There are about 14 stoplights between mini-city and Youngsville. At each one, each side has it's own all-green phase, resulting in 2-3 waits.

The worst aspect though is that everyone lollygags, content to drive 45-50 mph. I feel like people go unusually slow on US1 compared to everywhere else statewide with the same style highway.
Whenever I have a reason to go out that way I wonder how the heck people deal with that commute every day.

Old 06-28-2023, 08:08 AM

6,381 posts, read 5,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Whenever I have a reason to go out that way I wonder how the heck people deal with that commute every day.
I have reluctantly taken quite a few clients out that way at their own inquiry/need to see how much more house they can get for the money after being unimpressed/struggling to find something in Durham or N. Raleigh/Western Wake. The majority say "forget it" by the time we arrive at the first house after they experience the drive on Capital. Even taking Falls of Neuse on the way back rarely eases the frustration.

Wake Forest is a beautiful town with nice contained amenities; definitely makes sense why many choose to settle there. But the traffic in and out is a dealbreaker for many others.

Old 07-25-2023, 04:23 PM

52 posts, read 41,753 times
Anything touching US-1 is an absolute nightmare at this point. North to South.

Old 07-26-2023, 10:02 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I have reluctantly taken quite a few clients out that way at their own inquiry/need to see how much more house they can get for the money after being unimpressed/struggling to find something in Durham or N. Raleigh/Western Wake. The majority say "forget it" by the time we arrive at the first house after they experience the drive on Capital. Even taking Falls of Neuse on the way back rarely eases the frustration.

Wake Forest is a beautiful town with nice contained amenities; definitely makes sense why many choose to settle there. But the traffic in and out is a dealbreaker for many others.
Yes; glad we don't commute. Our son works at a dealership near Westgate; sometimes it takes an hour to get home. But not enough incentive to pay the high rents here!

Old 07-26-2023, 12:26 PM

6,381 posts, read 5,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Yes; glad we don't commute. Our son works at a dealership near Westgate; sometimes it takes an hour to get home. But not enough incentive to pay the high rents here!
Yes for people who do not need to worry about a commute; WF is a great value! Charming old-fashioned downtown along with tons of new developments and modern conveniences.

I live very close to where your son works (On the Leesville end of Westgate Rd actually). I remember a few weeks after moving here when I had clients decide to take a look out in Wake Forest thinking "well that used to feel far away in Chapel Hill...but I'm in North Raleigh now should be cake!"....Plugging the address into my GPS and seeing the 40 minute ETA was jarring.

Old 07-26-2023, 01:04 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Yes for people who do not need to worry about a commute; WF is a great value! Charming old-fashioned downtown along with tons of new developments and modern conveniences.

I live very close to where your son works (On the Leesville end of Westgate Rd actually). I remember a few weeks after moving here when I had clients decide to take a look out in Wake Forest thinking "well that used to feel far away in Chapel Hill...but I'm in North Raleigh now should be cake!"....Plugging the address into my GPS and seeing the 40 minute ETA was jarring.
Can't rep you, Nick! But exactly. We are close to downtown; away from the mess that is the Rogers Rd. area. Still trees here, LOL! And quiet, except for the racing at night.

Old 04-25-2024, 02:25 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,432,987 times
The explosive population growth currently occurring in Franklin County should be the impetus for making US 1 a freeway north of 540 a higher NCDOT priority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary