Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 08:05 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
How much time does the Special Committee on US Route Numbering give NCDOT to complete the upgrades? US 64 a/k/a Future I-87 between Wendell and I-95 needs work, for example.
FHWA is the one that sets the deadline for upgrading future interstates, which is currently 25 years form the time a future interstate is approved. However, future interstates that are designated by Congress (High Priority Corridors) such as I-87, I-42, and I-795 do not have a deadline, which means NCDOT can take as much time as they want or need.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/na...stem/dfitm.cfm

Meanwhile, Future I-587 between Zebulon and Greenville was approved by FHWA, so US-264 has to be upgraded within the 25-year deadline.

Last edited by LM117; 10-05-2018 at 08:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 01:44 PM

4,263 posts, read 4,714,230 times
Reminds me of the infamous I-85 TEMP between Linwood and Grandover 1960-1984... right at 25 years, although that might have been a coincidence.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:41 PM

94 posts, read 57,365 times
They've been talking about making US1 a freeway for more than a decade. I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:31 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
NCDOT will hold two public meetings (October 9 in Raleigh and October 11 in Wake Forest) to discuss upgrading US-1 to a freeway between I-540 and Purnell Road/Harris Road in Wake Forest.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...s-raleigh.aspx
Due to the incoming remnants of Hurricane Michael, the Wake Forest meeting has been postponed.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...postponed.aspx

Old 10-15-2018, 02:14 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
The "Future" designation isn't in name only.

It means that, however slowly, they will make the needed upgrades to get regular interstate status.

On that note, it's a shame that the Rolesville Bypass noticeably lacks a pull-off emergency shoulder.

I mean how much more would it cost for 2-3 feet of additional asphalt since you're already there building that stuff.

I don't see that much of a payoff in totally limited access up to Henderson.

It might be simpler to dig under or go over at the few major state routes to eliminate the traffic signals.

And all of the protected left phases could be removed and force drivers to make a "Michigan Left" which is a U-turn followed by a right turn.

NC's invention known as the "Superstreet" is one of only 3 American state-led efforts to increase throughput at traffic signals.

The other two are the "Michigan Left" and the "Jersey Jug handle" (looping right onto intersecting road rather than "left-arrow" phase).

The incredibly efficient "diverging diamond" is a French innovation.

Give NCDOT credit for even trying to do something which is more than can said for the other 47 states.

But I must express my disappointment with the declining high standards NCDOT once had.

The overhead signs and supports in the fortify zone looks sloppy with the non-matching border on the "Exit Only" portion of the overhead signs which all appear on the verge of starting to sag despite being brand new.

I also don't like how high the center concrete barrier is which hides Downtown Raleigh for Eastbound traffic.

All of that effort without any new lanes is disappointing but I hope they laid the groundwork for an additional lane to be added in the future.

Many Beltline signs are fading and need to be replaced, but if they're going to be as sloppy as recently observed, I rather them leave the signs alone.

Charlotte BTW appears to have all new signs on I-85.

60% of their highway lights aren't working though, even after all got overhauled with LED bulbs.

My list of grievances soon to be emailed to NCDOT is long after last week's drive through the state.
Michigan Left's are fantastic. Makes traffic move much faster on the main thoroughfares as it gives so much more "green time" to the north/south and east/west traffic. The only people that theoretically "suffer" are those who have to turn left. Funny part is, doing the Michigan left is often faster than if you sat at a light waiting for it to change for a normal left turn, anyway. I miss them very bad....driving around Raleigh stinks as you hit red light after red light - even on weekends. (Since many signals here are not sequenced, either, unlike Michigan where they are.)

Old 10-15-2018, 04:15 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
I miss them very bad....driving around Raleigh stinks as you hit red light after red light - even on weekends. (Since many signals here are not sequenced, either, unlike Michigan where they are.)
Idk where you are driving but I find the signals in Raleigh to be pretty well coordinated compared to other cities I have been to. If you are driving slightly above the speed limit on most major arterials, you'll be able to get through a few signals at a time. Obviously if there's an insane amount of cars on the road, that won't be the case but low to moderate volume times I haven't noticed a problem.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:28 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Idk where you are driving but I find the signals in Raleigh to be pretty well coordinated compared to other cities I have been to. If you are driving slightly above the speed limit on most major arterials, you'll be able to get through a few signals at a time. Obviously if there's an insane amount of cars on the road, that won't be the case but low to moderate volume times I haven't noticed a problem.
I'm in North Raleigh/Wake Forest most of the time. Plus downtown/East Raleigh for work a lot.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:32 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,626 times
Quote:
As you certainly know, (but others probably don't) it depends on whether you're traveling with the flow of traffic or against it.

If you're traveling northbound on Capital Boulevard in the morning, you'll probably hit every red light, because the signals are timed for southbound traffic at that time of day.

Some people seriously think that traffic engineers are "magic" and they should be able to give everybody a green light all the time, and they are just stupid and incompetent for not doing this, but the truth is that on normal streets, signals can only be timed in one direction.

Superstreets and paired one-way streets are the exception to this rule (and therefore, the solution to this problem.)

It makes me laugh and groan at public meetings when the people who demanding "Just time the traffic lights better, DUH!" at public meetings, are the same ones fighting against superstreet projects that would actually allow the traffic engineers to do just that.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:16 AM

4,263 posts, read 4,714,230 times
Quote:
I find the signals in Raleigh to be pretty well coordinated
Depends. If you live in north Raleigh and are headed downtown in the mornings, yes. If you drive between northwest and northeast (eg, crosstown), best of luck.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:34 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
As you certainly know, (but others probably don't) it depends on whether you're traveling with the flow of traffic or against it.

If you're traveling northbound on Capital Boulevard in the morning, you'll probably hit every red light, because the signals are timed for southbound traffic at that time of day.

Some people seriously think that traffic engineers are "magic" and they should be able to give everybody a green light all the time, and they are just stupid and incompetent for not doing this, but the truth is that on normal streets, signals can only be timed in one direction.

Superstreets and paired one-way streets are the exception to this rule (and therefore, the solution to this problem.)

It makes me laugh and groan at public meetings when the people who demanding "Just time the traffic lights better, DUH!" at public meetings, are the same ones fighting against superstreet projects that would actually allow the traffic engineers to do just that.
That's why I mentioned low to moderate traffic periods - usually mid-day or nights or weekends, peak hour/commuting signal timings is another issue and you're probably right in that for the most part, certain directions are prioritized. It certainly is possible to try and coordinate for traffic in both directions but it is definitely harder than a superstreet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary